~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Candle Making Forum > New to candle making

Old 07-16-2016, 03:20 AM   #1
SMOKEU

Default New to candle making

Hi everyone,

After a friend mentioned scented candles to me, I thought I'd buy a few Yankee candles to try them out - now I'm hooked and I thought I'd try making my own candles! I want to start with something tried and true; simple votive candles to begin with, and then I'll experiment with some jar candles once I've got a hang of the basics. I have a few questions though:

1. What impact do essential oils have on the wick size? How do I know which wicks to use with which oils?
2. What impact do colouring dyes have on the wick size?
3. What is the easiest shape of candle to make overall for a beginner, especially in terms of getting an even burn? Eg, a candle that is taller than its width (or the opposite) etc.

Below I've added a screenshot of what I'm planning on purchasing. Does this look OK? I've chosen the wick size based upon what the Candle Creations website recommends.

Here's the website http://www.candlecreations.co.nz/sho..._utmk=30588352

Last edited by SMOKEU; 07-16-2016 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Old 07-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
lsg
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 3184 Times on 2268 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I think that container candles with a small diameter (2-3 inches) are the easiest for beginners. Check your candle supplier for info on the type of wick and size to use for the product you are making.

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/...FQetaQodlFoNKw

I have never heard that dye affects the wick is used. Make sure that the fragrances you use work well with soy wax.