Fragrances you just cannot stand..whats yours?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's definitely patchouli for me as well, ick! Smells like BO to me. I made my mom take the whole batch so I wouldn't have to smell it anymore.
Also Pepperberry from BB, though my best friend LOVES it.
I thought I'd like sandalwood-rose, but it smells like an old-folks home to me.

Patchouli all day long is the most disgusting scent ever. I used a tiny bit in a soap I made 2 months ago and it took over and I will have to toss it.

I have a 16oz bottle of Dark Patchouli from New Directions I bought about a year ago and it's just the worst smell to me. I can't imagine anyone I know would ever want anything to smell like this. So sad....

If anyone is interested in purchasing from me, please PM me. I believe I paid $55, but I see it's $78 now. I have used less than 1/2 oz in my estimation since I only tested small amounts by the drop. It took over everything and even when it did not, it made everything smell bad!

Last edited:
For me it's definitely florals. They just smell terrible for some reason. I bought Daystar's Blooming Violets based on reviews and I hate it...usually. Every once in a while I get a whiff of it and it actually smells nice and then two seconds later...BAM...I hate it again. Oh well. My mom will like it (I hope).

It's kind of fascinating how different we all are and how alike at the same time.

I have a little 1/2 oz bottle of Patchouli EO upstairs and I'm just waiting to get some Orange EO to blend it with. Every time I sniff it I can just detect a whiff of an earthy soil like really good compost in my garden. It smells wonderful to me, just really solid and alive.

I love patchouli EO as well. A blend of a wine cork scent mixed with damp earth, but with a spicy and 'clean' background to the whole thing. I mostly blend it, but being out of patchouli would be almost like being out of garlic in the kitchen. Inconceivable.

Getting back to the ones I cannot stand. I dislike lilac, and to a lesser extend, most FOs I have worked with. I might find them appealing at first, but some how my nose gets saturated and start to dislike them intensely. Which other ones I disliked from the first whiff? coconut and water scents. The dislike for the others came later.

Anyone with a similar sensory experience?

Specific ones - Energy from BB - smells like sickly-sweet cheap orange candy to me. Got a sample of Heliotrope from BCN. The one review was negative, but I tried it anyway. Sooo awful. Nothing like the Heliotrope.

Categories - I'm not wild about bakery scents.

DD, I hate bakery scents, too. That does seem to be one of the big dividing lines.

Thanks for your opinions on Ancient Sedona, you guys. Newbie, thank you for your generous offer - at some point I may PM you and say have you ever tried "x" fragrance, and if so, what do you think? I have a wish list waiting on line at BB, though, I will request it as my FO freebie. Heads up, fellow newbies, better to sign on and keep things in the wish list, at many places - including BB - for some reason they disappear between visits if you keep them in the shopping cart.

I always hated patch b/c I had a friend who used it lavishly a long time ago and it smelled cheap and kind of sour. That might have had to do the type that she bought and how it smelled on her, although it made a lasting impression. I have tried a couple of patch FO blends that I am liking now from OT, though, I am coming around.

Also lavendar, it always smelled kind of old-ladyish to me until I started using Bulgarian lavendar EO (a bit more floral and less camphorous) with a good grapefruit EO in my diffuser. Again, a very different result from the stuff to which I was accustomed in the past.

Right now I'm most hating NG's Cannibis Flower. When I first sniffed it OOB I didn't like it, but I figured I could tolerate it enough for one batch... Ugh ugh ugh. I can't wait to get this batch out of my house! And what's worse, I still have some left! :( I'm currently using up my tiny little tester sliver just to see how the soap itself is, but the scent is lingering on my skin...

I've never been a fan of "old lady" florals, with lavender being my worst culprit. I still don't like things that are all (or nearly all) lavender, but I was gifted a soap that had a blend that included lavender that wasn't bad. And I sniffed a patchoulli soap in the store to see what that smelled like and hated that (and the way it lingered in my nose), but I bought a dupe of a perfume someone gave me and was surprised to see that it had patch in it! I had liked the smell of the perfume but I got the dupe because I don't actually like perfume (and it was on sale when I was filling up my cart).

I don't really like the smell of coconut either. The smell, the taste, the texture... it's just all bad for me. I'll use it for cooking indian, but otherwise it's cosmetics only!

And yet I love fruity and bakery stuff... I haven't tried soaping with anything bakery yet, but one of my friends asked me when I was going to...

I just remembered the smell I can't stand! I got a free sample from BB (and of course, in the order, they accidentally sent 2) of Neroli and Shea Blossom. It smells like old lady. It's awful. I won't soap with it. Even if someone would pay me (ok, I probably would) but, that would be the day I would buy a respirator and soap outside!

I hate the fruity scented perfumes. It seems that the ones who made those fruity scents doesn't seem too have an idea what a fruit is, or maybe they do, except they only know the scent of those fruits who went way past the expiration date.

I get migraines a lot from odors, so I have to be very careful. I can't handle heavy florals or musks. I prefer more of the fruity or grassy EOs. So far my favorites are grapefruit, lemongrass and citronella. I haven't tried any FOs yet. I don't think I'll use them. Probably just EOs and unscented unless someone asks for something specific.

I bought a marigold fragrance from sensory perfection in the UK. It was absolutely disgusting. I made bath salts with it and it smelled nice at first as the top notes masked the base, but when I got out of the bath I was left with only the base notes on my skin. It smelled to me like a combination of perochemicals and animal poo. I spent half an hour trying to scrub it off me but I could smell it all day. Never again will I be buying that!

............Patchouli literally makes me nauseated..........

I just want to drop this in - Susie has used the correct term where many would have used "nauseous". Worth a mention in dispatches! Huzzah for English.

Having read this thread, I can't help but come back to this point and highlight it :)

I am starting to hate sweet fruit scents. Monkey Farts is one that I recently ordered for a kids soap. It smells like fake banana. Gross. I also hate sweet bakery scents. I don't want to smell food when it isn't time to eat. Sweet scents in general start to make my stomach turn after a while.

Ancient Sedona is my favorite so far! I keep smelling the bottle and also my soaps. I can't wait to try it in the shower. :)

I just want to drop this in - Susie has used the correct term where many would have used "nauseous". Worth a mention in dispatches! Huzzah for English.

Having read this thread, I can't help but come back to this point and highlight it :)

I used to date a guy, about oh 12 years ago, that had this exact pet peeve at nauseated vs nauseous. You made me giggle teg. No, it's not the reason we broke up haha, but I will say in his defense it's stuck with me all these years.

I also hate the smell of the men's aftershave 'joop'. It is sickly sweet and smells feminine to me. Anyone who wears it also seems to feel the need to put so much on they have pretty much bathed in it.

And then there's the issue of when you get in the shower. I liked 'musk' until then. The whiff now brings back that memory - yikes.

I don't hate bakery scents in that I smell them and I think "yuck". I'm happy to make them for other people. But if I smell chocolate cake, by God there had better be cake. If I walked into a house and smelled awesome chocolate cake and the host was like, "Oh, that's just my candle! We're having fruit for dessert" I'd probably murder them.

I recently ordered a Bobbi Brown "Beach"-type fragrance oil for a friend of mine who loves the ocean. It got rave reviews and everyone seems to love it. It was the worst! It smelled ok OOB, but when I soaped with it, it got about 100x stronger and it just smelled like the most overpowering perfumey mess I have ever smelled. I can't even describe it. It gave me the worst headache and my house smelled like it for DAYS. It did NOT smell fresh or clean or crisp at ALL. Just overpowering and SHARP.

Back