Easy recipe for very new soap maker

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also check out places like Big Lots if you have one close. You can get oils and such at cheaper prices at times. Found Grapeseed and Sunflower oils in addition to the best prices I can find for Olive there.

Grapeseed oil and regular sunflower oil are not that good it use in soap. More than 15% total of either one lends to DOS.

If the sunflower is high oleic then it is fine to use just like olive oil.

Grapeseed oil and regular sunflower oil are not that good it use in soap. More than 15% total of either one lends to DOS.

If the sunflower is high oleic then it is fine to use just like olive oil.

But $5 for 34 ounce bottles of extra virgin olive oil. ;)

The grapeseed was a smaller bottle for $5 and the sunflower was about 34 ounces too for $5 without going to my shop. Nice to have to experiment with.

Big Lots has cheap coconut oil. Very cheap!

I did not have good results from their olive oil. It may be that I am so accustomed to the results I get from the Daily Chef Olive Oil that I am prejudiced, though.

Big Lots has cheap coconut oil. Very cheap!

I did not have good results from their olive oil. It may be that I am so accustomed to the results I get from the Daily Chef Olive Oil that I am prejudiced, though.

What I saw, I could get cheaper coconut oil from Amazon.

I got this (102 oz)for $12, and they have larger ones for the same price. I just did not get there when they had it. I will be going back week after next.

DSCN0307.jpg

What I saw, I could get cheaper coconut oil from Amazon.

I bought the Snappy CO at about $20 per gallon from Amazon for about a year then suddenly started having problems with trace and DOS. Since the biggest DOS batches were 100% CO laundry soap, I had to suspect the CO. I found the Big Lots CO for $12.00 per gallon and have had no more DOS problems (not to mention the big decrease in cost). Bottom line for me: Big Lots is much cheaper and has been more reliable.

On a side note about Big Lots CO, I recently stopped in to stock up and found the same CO for the same price but it's only 102 oz as opposed to 128 oz. I wonder if they're intentionally lowering the quantity realizing how popular it is? It's still a better deal especially since there's no shipping or tax (we don't pay tax on food in my area).

I buy 50 lb of lard in Cash and Carry, and divide it into containers or freezer bags and freeze, then take out as much as I need.

Unfortunately, the deep south never heard of Cash and Carry. Otherwise, I would be the first in line for a 50 lb block. As it is, I am worried that I can't find any more 25 lb pails at HEB until Christmas.

Unfortunately, the deep south never heard of Cash and Carry. Otherwise, I would be the first in line for a 50 lb block. As it is, I am worried that I can't find any more 25 lb pails at HEB until Christmas.

Yeah I have been trying to find a restaurant supply company to get stuff from since I moved here - but so far all I find are equipment stores. I need to find a local bakery and ask them I guess.

Yeah I have been trying to find a restaurant supply company to get stuff from since I moved here - but so far all I find are equipment stores. I need to find a local bakery and ask them I guess.

I'll admit I don't know much about where everything is in Louisiana, but what about LA Fountain Supply or something like LAMM Foodservice? I imagine for LAMM you might need a customer account though, but who knows.. You might be able to find someone friendly.

I did, however, find Pelican Wholesale in Monroe. They might be a membership like Sam's Club though.

I found this site that has some independent food co-ops, but again.. I don't know if it is helpful if the location ends up being 7 hours from you..

http://www.littlehouseliving.com/bulk-coop-national-list.html

Often to purchase from Wholesale Restaurant Supply houses, one has to own or represent a business such as a Restaurant. As such you are eligible to forego paying tax on purchases because you later tax your own customers. But in the Cash & Carry stores of the bigger Food Service companies, they often open up the stores to non-businesses, too. Non-profits that hold fund-raisers such as Spaghetti Feeds and such are also eligible to purchase tax free in such Cash & Carry stores. In all cases, they are required to provide their Tax ID number every time they make a purchase, of course.

I do believe that as a Soap Maker who sells (if you do sell), you may also qualify as a customer for wholesale supplies in the same way (for oils you will use in soaping) if you have a business license with a Tax ID number and so forth. Opening an account in order to buy supplies in bulk and to save having to pay double tax certainly is worth it in the long run.

LA Fountain states on the website it is Cash N Carry and no membership is required.

Pelican does require a customer account, but as I said, it is well worth it if it saves you money in the long run. The account application is on their website.

I like Cash & Carry stores. When we had a restaurant we had our supplies delivered so didn't need to use the Cash & Carry stores that much. Since closing the restaurant, however, I have noticed that but the numbers of Cash & Carry stores in my area have dwindled and before that the hours of operation dwindled.

I apologize for my off-topic post, but it is in response to the past 2 or 3 posts in the thread.

also check out places like Big Lots if you have one close. You can get oils and such at cheaper prices at times. Found Grapeseed and Sunflower oils in addition to the best prices I can find for Olive there.
TIP: Do take care buying cheap Olive Oil. More likely than not, it is adulterated and it can skew your recipe. I lost 6 months of sales because I didn't know my olive oil was adulterated. Mike Lawson at Soapers Choice brought it to my attention and offered to test my oils -- one from a local supplier and one from a natural grocers store. BOTH tested to have the same SAP value as soy oil. YIKES!

HTH fingerwagging

For quality and value, I order my oils from Soapers Choice out of Chicago. Their inventory is huge and they now carry cosmetic oils/butters/Ewax, etc. Shipping from IL to CO is reasonable. I try to order 4 gallons of different oils at a time to get the best price. Check them out:

https://soaperschoice.com/product-list-2

For small bottles of so-called "exotic" oils, i.e. almond, avocado, grapeseed, sesame, etc., see if your local grocery stores carry Spectrum brand. They are also a reliable suppier, IMO and IME

I apologize for my off-topic post, but it is in response to the past 2 or 3 posts in the thread.
:clap: Thank you for posting that, Earlene. I appreciate it. However, I've changed. I've fallen into that bad habit... my mama always says, "If you can't fight 'em, join 'em!" LOL I used to care that good info would get lost, as in "buried", in a thread like this one. (Not to mention adding unnecessarily to the length of the thread.) I just don't worry about it any more. If the Mods don't care, why should we? Yes?

Now what was the subject? heheheh

I also apologize for the Hijack. :mrgreen: 'Nuff said.

I made my first batch and second batch. Both has soad ash :-( second batch I used a different recipe. It traced too fast and is starting to crumble. I have been reading up on rebatching only because I used organic ingredients. But I may just leave it since it is just for us. For now. Iam feeling discouraged. But I am soldering on. Waiting on an order so I can make something again. I have some melt and pour and that really helps me when my cp goes to the dogs. I will not give
Up.
Thank you for all the tips
I guess I need to practice. Oh I also bought one of the books. The everything soap
Making book. I love it!!
First pic
Is my third batch with very bad said ash. This picture was taken just out of the mold.
Second pic is my second batch done in a Pringles mold I made. A little soad ash on these ones.
Third is my awful first batch, my acctidental hp. I used scent and I can't
Stand them. They are being turned into laundry soap. Except
The Iam keeping to make the occasion lol and that's me out side with my safety gear about to do the lye

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

I made my first batch and second batch. Both has soad ash :-( second batch I used a different recipe. It traced too fast and is starting to crumble. I have been reading up on rebatching only because I used organic ingredients. But I may just leave it since it is just for us. For now. Iam feeling discouraged. But I am soldering on. Waiting on an order so I can make something again. I have some melt and pour and that really helps me when my cp goes to the dogs. I will not give
Up.
Thank you for all the tips
I guess I need to practice. Oh I also bought one of the books. The everything soap
Making book. I love it!!
First pic
Is my third batch with very bad said ash. This picture was taken just out of the mold.
Second pic is my second batch done in a Pringles mold I made. A little soad ash on these ones.
Third is my awful first batch, my acctidental hp. I used scent and I can't
Stand them. They are being turned into laundry soap. Except
The Iam keeping to make the occasion lol and that's me out side with my safety gear about to do the lye

Soda ash is a fact of my life. I just wait until I get ready to unmold it, wash the top of the loaf, and move on. If the soap is for us or my immediate family, I don't even bother. Everyone knows that is the true mark of hand made soap.

I think those look pretty good for a your first, second, and third tries, Sexy! And the pic clearly indicates how you got your nickname... very beguiling, my dear. The Mona Lisa ain't got nothin' on you! LOL Keep up the good work!

Back