~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ August 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Bath, Body and Aromatherapy Recipes & Tutorials > Extracts can you use them for anything other than baking?

Old 07-05-2016, 11:16 PM   #1
tmar22

Liked 35 Times on 14 Posts

Default Extracts can you use them for anything other than baking?

Has anyone tried using extracts in anything? I have heard not to use them in soap... so I haven't, but I am wondering about everything else? Including, but not limited to: Bathbombs, Body Butter, Lotion, Lip Balm etc...

This has come up considering my family owns a grocery store, we have a surplus of extracts ( vanilla, coffee, anise, almond, etc) that are just going to waste and I would like to incorporate them into something!!!

Please!!! if you have ever tried anything, and it did/didn't work comment. If you have pictures post them!

There is no reliable sources online of using them for anything and I trust you all the most about this.

I know this is going to be fun, somebody is bound to comment. "No" so prove me wrong and let's figure this out...

Old 07-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #2
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4521 Times on 3022 Posts
Likes Given: 3728

Default Extracts can you use them for anything other than baking?

You could try them for personal use. However, they aren't considered skin safe ingredients for those who sell. Wouldn't work in anything that is oil based like Shea body butter or lip balm due to the alcohol

Old 07-06-2016, 12:01 AM   #3
topofmurrayhill
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmar22 View Post
Has anyone tried using extracts in anything? I have heard not to use them in soap... so I haven't, but I am wondering about everything else? Including, but not limited to: Bathbombs, Body Butter, Lotion, Lip Balm etc...

This has come up considering my family owns a grocery store, we have a surplus of extracts ( vanilla, coffee, anise, almond, etc) that are just going to waste and I would like to incorporate them into something!!!

Please!!! if you have ever tried anything, and it did/didn't work comment. If you have pictures post them!

There is no reliable sources online of using them for anything and I trust you all the most about this.

I know this is going to be fun, somebody is bound to comment. "No" so prove me wrong and let's figure this out...
I don't know if they do a useful thing, but nothing prevents you from trying them in transparent soap, liquid soap and maybe even HP. It's not an experiment I would begin with CP, because that's where they're most likely to cause difficulties or just get clobbered by lye.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
reflection

Liked 65 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt2011 View Post
You could try them for personal use. However, they aren't considered skin safe ingredients for those who sell. Wouldn't work in anything that is oil based like Shea body butter or lip balm due to the alcohol
is the concern that anything with alcohol will evaporate? i can't seem to remember right now why it's not recommended. i used a vanilla absolute, which from what i read sounds like a very concentrated version of vanilla extract, added it to my cold shea butter batter right before whipping and it worked great. a few weeks later i even remelted the body butter to add some beeswax and surprisingly the vanilla scent didn't diminish at all. the arrowroot powder on the other hand didn't seem to survive the remelt.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
soapygoat

Liked 12 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This is probably a boring answer, but if they aren't skin safe, could they be used in something like a reed diffuser? I was going to suggest making incense, but alcohol based fragrance + fire may not equal a good idea.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #6
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4521 Times on 3022 Posts
Likes Given: 3728

Absolutes are different than extracts. Absolutes are not alcohol based. Unless it is produced and stated for use in Soap, Bath or Body products it should not be used for that purpose. As I stated, for personal use, go for it. Those that sell, I wouldn't. Alcohol based extracts will cause your soap to sieze.
Susie Likes This 
Old 07-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #7
dixiedragon

Liked 3633 Times on 2089 Posts
Likes Given: 1606

If you're a hunter I have a recipe for a body spray that uses (I think) vanilla, almond and anise extract.

I haven't tried it but I am curious to see! I would think that they could work in bath bombs - some people spray those with alcohol anyway?

Honestly, for large quantities, can they donate it a church or a food kitchen?
shunt2011 Likes This 
Old 07-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #8
reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt2011 View Post
Absolutes are different than extracts. Absolutes are not alcohol based. Unless it is produced and stated for use in Soap, Bath or Body products it should not be used for that purpose. As I stated, for personal use, go for it. Those that sell, I wouldn't. Alcohol based extracts will cause your soap to sieze.
i guess it is the extraction method of an absolute that may use alcohol as the solvent then if i am understanding correctly. mine isn't this brand but you can see the vanilla absolute contains 25% ethanol and was solvent extracted with ethyl alcohol. i take it that it shouldn't be used in making soap then. it's a little confusing with vanilla oil, vanilla extract and vanilla absolute.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #9
topofmurrayhill
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflection View Post
i guess it is the extraction method of an absolute that may use alcohol as the solvent then if i am understanding correctly. mine isn't this brand but you can see the vanilla absolute contains 25% ethanol and was solvent extracted with ethyl alcohol. i take it that it shouldn't be used in making soap then. it's a little confusing with vanilla oil, vanilla extract and vanilla absolute.
Alcohol will seize up cold process batter, but it's compatible with soap that's already made. It's used in some transparent and liquid soap techniques because oil and soap dissolve in alcohol. You could experiment with putting extracts or perfumes in some MP base to see what they do.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:07 AM   #10
reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by topofmurrayhill View Post
Alcohol will seize up cold process batter, but it's compatible with soap that's already made. It's used in some transparent and liquid soap techniques because oil and soap dissolve in alcohol. You could experiment with putting extracts or perfumes in some MP base to see what they do.
i have to admit i'm rather confused about the absolutes at this point. some seem to say all the alcohol from the extraction is burned off and others, like the site i listed, say it is still in the absolute or maybe theirs is different. i thought the absolutes aren't supposed to be oil soluble, at least my vanilla absolute isn't, but people use them anyway in products like butters & balms. can you use absolutes in the crock pot method after trace? mostly, i just don't want to start a fire but seizing doesn't sound good either.