~*~ SMF March 2017 Challenge - Black Background Soaps! ~*~
~ March 2017 Black Background Soap Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Food & Spirit Recipes > Potica

Old 12-13-2016, 12:05 AM   #21
Scooter

Liked 180 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

Thanks for the recipe! I had never baked bread until I saw a no-knead video on this forum, now twenty-five loaves later....

Maybe I will work up to this too. Your recipe reminds me of both Mardi Gras King Cake, as well as babka. I wonder if they all go back to some common ancestor.

Scooter

People Like This 
Old 12-13-2016, 02:29 AM   #22
Omneya
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 40 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 29

OMG I want some! That looks so yummy

IrishLass Likes This 
Old 12-13-2016, 03:53 AM   #23
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 5799 Times on 3037 Posts
Likes Given: 3930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
Thanks for the recipe! I had never baked bread until I saw a no-knead video on this forum, now twenty-five loaves later....

Maybe I will work up to this too. Your recipe reminds me of both Mardi Gras King Cake, as well as babka. I wonder if they all go back to some common ancestor.

Scooter
I've never had King Cake or babka before, but after doing a search, they all seem to be very close cousins of each other, if not outright siblings. The dough ingredients are pretty much the same in all three, and they are all rolled and filled, but it seems the place where they part ways is in how are thin each are rolled, what kind of filling is used, and how each are shaped. Very interesting!

I'm also looking into making a gluten-free version of my potica for my SIL who gets stomach pains every time she eats anything with gluten in it. I found this one on the internet. It looks quite promising: http://slovenianroots.blogspot.com/2...tica-with.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omneya
OMG I want some! That looks so yummy
I want some, too! I've been so busy making them for others that I haven't yet made one for myself this year.

IrishLass
People Like This 
Old 12-13-2016, 05:59 AM   #24
BeesKnees
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 135 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 299

Oh, Irish Lass, you are going to send me down another rabbit hole if I'm not careful. You seem like you could be a very bad influence....but if I'm not hungry I shouldn't care so much, right? lol
People Like This 
Old 12-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #25
Soapmaker145
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Wow!!! It looks very professional. Lucky people on your Christmas list.

Thanks for sharing the recipe and the pics. I added it to the to-make list.
People Like This 
Old 12-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #26
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4143 Times on 2492 Posts
Likes Given: 777

Thankyou for the recipe. The dough recipe is very close to one I used to make called Planchinta, which came from an Aunt of my hubby but somehow I seemed to have lost the recipe, and she is gone. It was made with either poppy seed or walnut filling made into logs. Problem is I cannot afford to make it for weight reasons, in other words I have gained to many extra pounds since retirement. I remember one time I made 4 rolls, during my still skinny days, by the time my hubby got home from work there was 1 left. LOL, he thought I had given them away....nope ate them these were about 12"x 4"
People Like This 
Old 12-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #27
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzaha View Post
Thankyou for the recipe. The dough recipe is very close to one I used to make called Planchinta, which came from an Aunt of my hubby but somehow I seemed to have lost the recipe, and she is gone. It was made with either poppy seed or walnut filling made into logs. Problem is I cannot afford to make it for weight reasons, in other words I have gained to many extra pounds since retirement. I remember one time I made 4 rolls, during my still skinny days, by the time my hubby got home from work there was 1 left. LOL, he thought I had given them away....nope ate them these were about 12"x 4"
I had never ever heard of Planchinta before, so I just had to have myself a Google. Most of the ones I saw were stuffed round bread (much like stuffed quesedillas or pitas or pancakes), but then I saw one that seemed to fit your description. Is this what you used to make?: http://www.grabandgorecipes.com/vert...inte-placinta/

Quote:
I remember one time I made 4 rolls, during my still skinny days, by the time my hubby got home from work there was 1 left. LOL, he thought I had given them away....nope ate them these were about 12"x 4"

IrishLass
Scooter Likes This 
Old 12-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #28
navigator9

Liked 2524 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 253

OMG, I'm with Dee, I swear I can smell it! What is it about yeasted dough that makes it smell so irresistible? And not only do they smell good, they're beautiful to look at. If I weren't in "dog mode", and already so way behind on my cookie baking, I'd give this a try. I'm anxious to hear how it comes out using the ABin 5 recipe for brioche. And I agree with you about measuring your ingredients by weight...it makes all the difference. Especially with flour. I originally made the brioche dough by weight, and it was perfect. Then I made it again, with the scoop and level method, and the results were nowhere near as tender, and I know it's because there was too much flour. Weighing is best!
People Like This 
Old 12-16-2016, 02:07 AM   #29
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Well, I must say that the no-knead method works great with this dough!

I just got done baking up the last of the triple batch of dough that I made earlier in the week.

Pictured below is what I made with it today. On the left is an 8" potica; the two in the middle are 5" chocolate babkas with a crumb topping; and the one on the right is an 8" chocolate babka with crumb topping (thank you Scooter for pointing me to babka!). The babkas are fresh from the oven and still too hot to remove from their pans.

My house smells chocolatey good!

IrishLass
People Like This 
Old 12-16-2016, 03:30 AM   #30
Scooter

Liked 180 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
the two in the middle are 5" chocolate babkas with a crumb topping; and the one on the right is an 8" chocolate babka with crumb topping (thank you Scooter for pointing me to babka!). The babkas are fresh from the oven and still too hot to remove from their pans.
O.M.G. Those look great. If I ever learned to do that I would never leave my house. I would just be baking and eating all day long. lol.

Scooter

IrishLass Likes This