My first orders

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy8

Reaction score
Well I have made my first soap material orders...

www.brambleberry.com
Black Oxide 1oz
Sunflower Oil 1lb
Palm Oil 1lb
Cocoa Butter 1lb
Bentonite Clay 1lb

www.wellingtonfragrance.com
4oz Metal Shallow Tin (1) To use with a small amount of shaving soap batch.
Armani Code FO 8oz
Titanium Dioxide 8oz

I want to pour a small amount of the shaving soap into the tin and let it cure in the tin and then use once it is used to see how it performs.

This all should allow me to make the basic soap recipe I have found, a shaving soap, and possibly even a coffee soap. Some of the oils I can get at my local grocery store so those of course are not listed. These are all the things I need and cannot get anywhere local. :) Cant wait to get going. I'm so excited I can barely sit still. I still do need a mold (which I may build and a cutter but if I don't build a mold, those will both be on my next order. I'll be sure to post pics if my soaping are a success. ;)

Just an FYI, watch your FO from Wellington. I have ordered from them several times over the last 3 years. In the beginning I had no probelms but in the last 6 months I've picked up 3 fragrances and had huge problems with all three. They riced, separated and were a mess to work with. I ended up having to cook 1 of them in the crock pot and the other 2 were thrown away. Also, with the tins they will rust if water comes in contact with them.

Hope you have better luck with them then I have lately.

Are there any measures I should take to minimize any potential issues I may have? Well, maybe pouring a small amount of the batch into the tin is not a good idea? Maybe I will form pucks that are close to the size of the tin and then put them in the tin. Of course this still leaves the issue of using a wet shaving brush and getting the tin wet. Maybe there is some kind of "protective layer" I can spray on or something...Hmmmm much to be thought about here. Thanks for all the heads up.

Well good thing I only got one. This way I can try it out and see what happens and maybe even when it happens. :)

I would recommend just using a cleaned-out plastic butter tub for storing your shaving soap experiment. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Back