HAIR REMOVAL RECIPE

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSL

Reaction score
Anyone have a simple hair removal recipe?
Like a sugaring "wax"? I normally buy the store bought kind, but at $11 a box, its still cheaper than the salon, but it would be nice to make it myself! I have a half jar left and I'm hoping to make some instead of having to go buy another jar.

i know its basically sugar and lemon juice, but I'm not sure how much to put in....

Summer's coming and its time to get shiny! LOL

It's pretty straightforward as long as you have an accurate thermometer - just take white sugar (however much you need, I tend to make a bunch and keep it in the fridge, it keeps forever) and add some lemon juice - 8 parts sugar to 1 part lemon juice is fine. Then add a little water until your sugar is a slushy consistency

The exact amount of water doesn't matter. Cook to 235-240 deg F, then put the bottom of the pan in a cold water bath to cool it down to a workable temperature.

The reason the amount of water doesn't matter is because the temperature of the solution is directly related to the proportion of sugar to water - the less water in the solution, the higher the temp can go, so it's self-regulating kind of? You will have the exact right % of water at the exact point you get to 235-240 deg.

I use strips of cheap fabric cut into rectangles. :)

Thanks!!

I notice that some have more than just sugar and lemon in them (besides water).. are there any ingredients that enhance the product? I dunno, make it better?

I have wanted to try making my own for soooo long now.. I'm getting excited to try this!

Anyone else have recipes?

haven't ever done waxing, but this thread is very interesting. i going to follow. educate me away..., have to say it sounds painful. do you do on face, pits, legs, bikini?

I have been waxing for many years.
I have gone to the salon & gotten waxed, I used to go to this lady's house who did it for cash, but I moved and I have bought the off the shelf sugars and waxes.

Here's my experience:
Legs - a little painful the first time, but now I hardly feel it.
Arms - I feel practically nothing
UNDERARMS - OUCH. OUCH. OUCH. and takes a LONG time, and you have to pull from all sorts of directions because the hair grows in different directions
UPPER LIP - never tried but I heard it hurts
EYEBROWS - OUCH OUCH OUCH - and it pulls your skin so it can stretch. Suggest tweezing or threading instead!!!!!
V-jayjay - The closer you get to the back, the less it hurts, but man this is frighteningly painful. YOU REALLY need to trim the hairs first. (to 1/4" or thereabouts). Like the underarms you have to pull from all directions as the hair grows in diffrent directions. DO NOT USE SUGARS.. actual waxes use best because the hair is coarse and hard to pull. The more you do it, the less it hurts, the warm wax sooths the pain so the pain is short.

With waxing, the hairs grow back less and less. I have 1/2 the hair on my arms that I did when I started waxing them and i don't do it all the time, just when I feel like it. I have patches of hair that no longer grow on my legs. I tweeze the brows and shave the pits (because I figure I'm in the shower anyway, why go through the pain).

Trick is, thin layers of wax/sugar and quick pulls. Also, trim the hairs to about 1/4" in lenth and it will be easier and less painful (except legs and arms because that's just too much work).

LOL.. its like I wrote an article! LOL

I haven't tried this yet, but I do plan to!!

owww!.... I have had to listen to people get that done at the spa i work at... def not something that sounds fun... But I guess its like a tattoo... you go numb after a while?

IanT said:
owww!.... I have had to listen to people get that done at the spa i work at... def not something that sounds fun... But I guess its like a tattoo... you go numb after a while?

They must have been weenies! It feels like a lit match being held to your skin for a split second... and that's when it's bad! Some places it actually tickled! I can't tell you how much I love it!!!

Back