Zum bar Sea Salt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you post on an old thread, people read the OP (original post) and respond from there - even though the original conversation is long dead. If people are "questing" for this knowledge, the thread wouldn't have been dead for 6 years.

Perhaps people saw that there was no answer, and didn't bother, like me. When I found the answer, I joined and posted.

Neroli - My girlfriend recently bought a Zum Sea Salt bar, I smelled it, and asked what it was, she said Neroli, got out a bottle of Neroli essential oil, and it is an exact match. Neroli is citris.

I just looked up Neroli essential oil up on ebay... holy crap that's expensive! $149 for 8 oz??

Yeah, my guess is they use a cheaper fragrance oil, and only dashes of essential oil.

There is actually an official stance on this is the forum tone sticky - please do have a good read of it

Yes, it would appear the forum tolerates my adding of information.

"SMF does not have an official rule that outright bans necroposting (we tolerate it up to a certain point)"

and later:

"-Guideline in regards to statement '7c' from above (necroposting to add a new bit of helpful wisdom): This is one of the times where a necropost might be worth the risk of attracting any potential ire, depending on the level of helpfulness, accuracy, and/or relevance of your words of wisdom. If you are ever in doubt, though, as to whether you should necropost your words of wisdom in the old thread, or rather introduce them in a new thread with a link pointing to the old thread, just let it be said that no one will ever fault you for doing the latter of the two."

So, to clarify, I was never in doubt this was a useful piece of information.

Last edited:
Yes, it would appear the forum tolerates my adding of information.

"SMF does not have an official rule that outright bans necroposting (we tolerate it up to a certain point)"

and later:

"-Guideline in regards to statement '7c' from above (necroposting to add a new bit of helpful wisdom): This is one of the times where a necropost might be worth the risk of attracting any potential ire, depending on the level of helpfulness, accuracy, and/or relevance of your words of wisdom. If you are ever in doubt, though, as to whether you should necropost your words of wisdom in the old thread, or rather introduce them in a new thread with a link pointing to the old thread, just let it be said that no one will ever fault you for doing the latter of the two."

So, to clarify, I was never in doubt this was a useful piece of information.

Indeed - but would it have been better in a new thread with a link to to old one? The people who were asking about it haven't followed up on this thread for a long time, so while it might well be useful information, the worth of necroing is still in doubt.

Not in doubt: "SMF does not have an official rule that outright bans necroposting", clearly says "does not".

Typically more modern forums, if they don't want it, either use software to monitor the passage of time on a thread, then disable or lock it, or a Moderator reviews old threads, and locks them.

Since there is no official rule... Just saying. I feel your pains though.

Well, I did answer something directly in question from the old post. Do you always contradict yourself, as you have in each of your responses?

I meant in doubt in this particular case. As the guide says, unless you are directly answering something or something in the old post is vital, starting a new one (especially on a 6 year old thread) is a better option.

It doesn't pain me in itself, rather the attitude that goes with it

What is, necroposting? I understand the fact of the old vs the new. Its like putting on a pair of used underwear, it would be best to just start a new one and like many have said, "Ref".
I have been guilty of this too, only because I didnt notice the date. When I saw how old it was, it didnt feel good; so I started a new thread. Just saying.

What is, necroposting? I understand the fact of the old vs the new. Its like putting on a pair of used underwear, it would be best to just start a new one and like many have said, "Ref".
I have been guilty of this too, only because I didnt notice the date. When I saw how old it was, it didnt feel good; so I started a new thread. Just saying.

Necroposting is when you post in an a thread left dead for at least two or three months. Everything that you said pertains to it and it's really better to make a new thread, as others had said. You'll get relevant input from active members that way.

Why can't we post on an old thread? The info I gave may help others in their quest for this knowledge.
So far, my closest rendition to a Zum Sea salt bar was Neroli, lemongrass, ginger, copaiba, and a touch of pichoili. I actually liked the scent I produced a little more than the bars lol. I use it as the proprietary bend for a few pain relief topicals and I love the calming wave of scents it imparts.

So far, my closest rendition to a Zum Sea salt bar was Neroli, lemongrass, ginger, copaiba, and a touch of pichoili. I actually liked the scent I produced a little more than the bars lol. I use it as the proprietary bend for a few pain relief topicals and I love the calming wave of scents it imparts.
And a little myrrh! Can't forget that

Latest posts

Back