ZNSC with master-batched lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone here done the maths for making the faux sea water for ZNSC to be used with master-batched 50% lye solution, and shooting for an overall 33% lye solution? I honestly don't want to make up a special batch of lye solution just for a couple batches of soap.

My first thought was to halve the water in @Zany_in_CO's faux sea water recipe. But then I get tangled up in the part about mixing it with the lye solution so that I end up with the correct ratios of lye, water, salt, and bicarb. Thanks in advance to any of you with math-y brains who can help me!

Edited: I forgot that the recipe calls for a 1.7:1 water:lye ratio, not 2:1. And here is the faux sea water recipe:

1 quart warm water
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)

Ok, I've been toying with this and hoping someone will chime in to let me know if this sounds correct.

First, I converted everything to grams so as to work in one unit of measure across the board.

1 quart water = 32 oz = 907 grams of water used to make the faux sea water
1 T sea salt = 16.5g = 1.9% of the sea water
1 T bicarb = 15g = 1.7% of the sea water

To determine my total recipe water, I add one-half of the MB solution weight (since it is half water, half lye) to all of the additional water weight.

I multiply my total recipe water number by 1.9% to determine the amount sea salt needed for this recipe, and by 1.7% to determine the amount of bicarb.

I then dissolve those amounts of salt and bicarb in my additional liquid, before mixing that with the lye solution (hopefully there is enough liquid to dissolve my citrate and sorbitol, as well).

Does this sound right???

Attachments

• Ladies' Retreat Soap #6 ZNSC.pdf
    25.6 KB · Views: 38
Whew, thank you @Nona'sFarm! I am pretty good with math concepts but often make mistakes in the details. I did make a 1500g batch last night and it behaved perfectly with the chosen fragrance. I’ll unmold later today and see how she looks. Thanks again!!

I actually keep a batch of faux seawater in the refrigerator ready to go, but doing so doesn't account for when I want to add aloe so this is the route I'll take.

Latest posts

Back