Zingiberaceae

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand your not choosing ' ginger for scent'? rather for color! any hoot I have two EO's one the left smells great' though debatable if its 100% pure' per comments!? one on the right stinks to high heaven' I wont use it. maybe a rancid EO? I can't imagine why it would smell so awful??

Attachments

• E367D76C-918E-4DCC-B101-FCCF99CF88FD.jpeg
    E367D76C-918E-4DCC-B101-FCCF99CF88FD.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 13
I have two EO's one the left smells great' though debatable if its 100% pure' per comments!?
Oopsie! A quick google of OLA PRIMA, Ginger Essential Oil, 4 oz turned up this info — Ginger is sold out, but here is the info on the back label for Bergamot and others I checked.

Ingredients: Bergamot Fragrance Oil and Triethyl Citrate Oil.

Scroll Down To The Q & A For A Giggle.

Also, The Reviews Are Worth A Look.

one on the right stinks to high heaven' I wont use it. maybe a rancid EO? I can't imagine why it would smell so awful??
I've found that essential oils rarely smell like "themselves" OOB. It's best to put a cotton ball on a 2" square of tinfoil. Add a few drops of the EO, let it sit for a while, sniff it and then fold the tinfoil over the cotton ball. Sniff after an hour so and continue to sniff once in while over 2 weeks to see how it "holds" and mellows. You'll have a better understanding of what the fragrance really is like. ;) :thumbs:

I've found that essential oils rarely smell like "themselves" OOB. It's best to put a cotton ball on a 2" square of tinfoil. Add a few drops of the EO, let it sit for a while, sniff it and then fold the tinfoil over the cotton ball. Sniff after an hour so and continue to sniff once in while over 2 weeks to see how it "holds" and mellows. You'll have a better understanding of what the fragrance really is like. ;) :thumbs:
Agree. though not an expert on EO I think the "Now" brand ginger EO is rancid. the nose knows. I'd like to purchase it from another source & compare the two.
Ol Prima ginger reviews EO is a mixed review & possible of not being 100% pure EO, however it smells good neat & in soap, good price as-well from amazon. Sadly It's a common practice for many company's to dilute their EO w/ a carrier oil or another EO. 😕
Thank you Dear 🤗🧼💫

Going into my folder

I understand your not choosing ' ginger for scent'? rather for color! any hoot I have two EO's one the left smells great' though debatable if its 100% pure' per comments!? one on the right stinks to high heaven' I wont use it. maybe a rancid EO? I can't imagine why it would smell so awful??
And NOW is usually a reliable brand …. 🤔

First mission report from the recently arrived steam-distilled ginger EO!
I stirred two drops of the EO into a few mL of LS, and gave it a shot in the shower.

Just like @maryloucb has reported, the character is sweet-resinous like “candied” ginger, rather than the sharp, spicy bite of raw ginger. BUT besides this, it has an unpleasant off-smell. Hard to describe, somehow rotten but sweet and spicy at the same time. I dislike it in a way how I also dislike, say, laurel oil in Aleppo soap. Sadly, also no trace of citrusy goodness that sometimes is outright intrusive in some varieties of ginger root (and greens!). The pure EO itself does have this off-odour, but also diluted into the LS, and the lather. Thankfully, it doesn't linger in the air nor stick to skin.

Sadly, that's why I have to call this ginger EO useless in its pure form. It'll get its chance paired with citrusy, spicy, or balsamic scents – hopefully it can be tamed as a minor part of a blend (thinking of peru balsam, litsea cubeba, rosemary, and lemon).

I make an orange ginger turmeric soap with ginger EO, and I find the scent to be the more mellow cooked scent than the zingy (ahem) raw scent. It is pretty mild and subtle.
I agree with this too. I've used ginger EO with turmeric colored soap too hehe. I can even say that mine smells kinda "sweet." Definitely no smell from the infused turmeric in the soap though I'm actually happy about that lol

Which reminds me.. I have to go check on that soap to see if the scent is still there.

I've tested it in a massage oil - my mom loves it.

Zany's link lists some good blends with ginger..

Latest posts

Back