Zinc Oxide Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
I am seeking help/advice on creating a formula using pure zinc oxide powder as an add in. I have read Zinc Oxide soap is often used for acne blemished skin. But I have not found any soap formulas or reviews on handmade soap with Zinc Oxide.

I am interested in receiving any information other soap makers may have on this subject.

I've seen zinc oxide in calamine soap. I really don't know anything about it but maybe googling that will jumpstart your search. Good luck!

Thanks Millie. I did search on line for help but did not find the information I am seeking. I always do a search before I ask the forum. With so many accomplished soap makers here I am really hoping someone who has used this ingredient will have helpful advice. But I do thank you for responding.

I have very gentle soap for preggies and toldlers with zinc oxide, I add it to oils. Most of them is unscented uncoloured

Cmzaha, when you use Zinc Oxide instead of TD how much do you use PPO? Does too much cause glycerin rivers in the same way too much TD causes it?

Can't help you with using zinc oxide in soap for acne. I'd think you'd be more likely to see any results if you used it in a leave-on product, but that's just a total guess.

What I can say is pigments, especially TD, seem to make the rivers more noticeable, but rivers happen as much in in plain soap as they do in soap with TD. They're just not very noticeable in plain soap or soap colored with dyes (as opposed to pigmented colorants like TD). As KC said, use less water (try 33% lye concentration) and avoid excess heating -- don't do CPOP, add little or no insulation, avoid additives that cause rapid heating (sugars, for example). It's okay if the soap gels, but you want to get it cooled down as fast as is reasonable. It's the liquid-y nature of gelled soap and a slow cool down that causes the rivers.

Or just embrace the antique-y look of the rivers and let go. ;)

Thanks much for the TD info. I did not know about the over heating and water content causing the rivers. I always thought it was from using too much TD in the formula

It's not about over heating nor about water content per se. Crackles (rivers) are caused by slow cooling of the soap after it gels. Pigments (TD) accentuate the crackle pattern, but do not cause it. Here's an article that explains more about this issue: https://classicbells.com/soap/streakMottle.html

I think the reason most people associate them is 2 fold for the most part. Yes they are more detectable in white soap. But If you use water soluble TD, and use alot of the mix in your soap, you can increase the amount of water in the white portion of the soap enough so that it gels easier than the other colors. So it enters gel stage sooner, thereby causing the crackle effect in the white and not in other colors that are made with mica in oil.

Last edited:
That's a good point, KC. I will add that caution into my article -- very useful tip to keep in mind.

Back