zinc oxide clumping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluevervain

Reaction score
I use zinc oxide once in awhile in cold process soap to achieve a nice bright white (the soap recipe I make most of the time creates a creamy off white soap) and I also use it in a baby balm and in a natural sunscreen.

I buy it by the pound and have bought it from both New Directions and Mtn Rose. It's so clumpy! I can blend and blend and I still have little clumps and I don't like it aesthetically.

Any suggestions?

The only thing I have tried besides more blending is to mix it with a little oil but in a ziploc it helps but I still have clumps. I've wondered about mixing it with the water portion of a soap or lotion instead of oil, or maybe mixing with glycerin. I would love to hear if others have experience with eliminating the clumps.

What do you use to blend it? I've never used zinc oxide in my soaps, but I do use titanium dioxide quite often, and the only thing that blends it beautifully for me is my stickblender.

IrishLass :)

Back