Zap Testing and Voltmeter's

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out if I'm cooking my soap much longer than necessary.

I always do the zap test, but have never actually experienced the feeling of an electrical charge. Instead, I get a weird metallic like taste ... can't really think of any other way to describe it. If I continue to cook and try again, eventually, I get no funky taste ... nothing. Just kinda waxy feeling I guess.

So my question is, if I'm not getting kicked even though it seems somewhat metalic, is it finished or is that an indication that it needs to continue cooking?

While researching and trying to find someone else with the same experience, I ran across a thread talking about a voltmeter. Does that really work? My son lost my multi-meter but if someone here says it works, I'm willing to buy a new one. :D

First, no to the voltmeter. The zap isn't a electrical charge, its a chemical zap.

The metallic taste is just what soap tastes like. If you get that, the soap is done.

A true zap can't be mistaken for anything else. People compare it to a 9 volt batter zap and to me those hurt a little, kinda tingly, kinda burny.

First, no to the voltmeter. The zap isn't a electrical charge, its a chemical zap.

The metallic taste is just what soap tastes like. If you get that, the soap is done.

A true zap can't be mistaken for anything else. People compare it to a 9 volt batter zap and to me those hurt a little, kinda tingly, kinda burny.

Thanks @Obsidian! Too bad about the voltmeter. lol, was ready to run and grab one after work today.

So, it seems I can speed up my soap making. No more two hour long sessions of watching and stirring. :D

When I do hp, which is not often, my soap is usually done in 20-30 minutes.

I keep seeing videos and hearing people say the same thing. I ended up soaping at about 180 or so just to try and get it to go faster ... turns out I've just been cooking it too long this whole time. Will be making another batch in a bit ... and not for 2 hrs! :D

Yay! Got it down to 45 minutes. Would have been faster if I hadn't stirred every 3 to 5 minutes after it nearly came out of my crockpot! lol

Turned around to get my mold ready, heard a strange noise, turned back around and the lid was coming up off my crockpot! My first close call! Glad I do not leave the kitchen thanks to all the warnings and advice on this board! :)

Also, finally got a "real" zap. Yes, it kicks a bit, but wasn't too bad.

In attempt to not allow my soap to get dark again, I waited until 140 degrees to add aloe, milk powder, shea. Guess I should have reheated the aloe mixture. Got hard before I could get everything to the mold.

Each batch is a new experience and I learn several new lessons each time. :)

Hmm weird. I've added cold aloe juice to soap of +- that temp before and the batter stayed perfectly fluid. Could it be the milk powder absorbing moisture? I'm just spitballing, never used milk powder in soap before..

Back