Zap test fail?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona719

Reaction score
So I started taking my soap out of the mold and it felt kinda soft so i decide to leave it in for a while longer. Now before I put it down I tried the zap test
( putting tongue on it) and I think it tingled a little. Now i'm not sure if it was just my mind playing tricks on me or what but I don't know what to do now :( Do any of you have a different way on testing it at home? Or should I just re-batch it?

If it's less than 48 hours old, I'd wait and then try zap testing after 48 hours. Fresh soap still has active lye in it because it's not fully saponified, so it will zap.

If your soap did not gel it might not be done tomorrow either. Give it a least 2 days like Genny said. If you measured it correctly and used a soap calculator your soap should be fine, no need to lick it.

I find for me, the most reliable test is using Phenolphthalein solution. Zap testing and ph strips aren't as reliable IMO. I've had ph issues pop up that zap and strip testing didn't pick up on. It's (phenol) easy to use and I can test the entire surface and the interior of the bars with reliable results. The next equipment purchase will be an actual meter but for now the Phenol works great!

Back