Zap Test, can't tell if it is lye or the salt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezzy

Reaction score
I made a batch and added salt to see if I could get a firmer bar. I soaped really cool and got a false trace almost right away. I whisked it down used my sb again and got another false trace. Whisked it again and it smoothed back out. this went on back and forth for about 5 min until I was sure I had a true light trace.

I did a zap test and it is kinda zappy. Could it be the salt? I am absolutely sure that my recipe was correct and I did a sf at 9%

Could it be the salt that is *zappy*

The soap is only 8 days old. I have really been zapped before testing fresh soap to feel what a zap is. It isn't the same. It is tingly though...

I've had FO's that make the soap tingly... maybe give it another week and try again. I add salt to just about every batch and that never seemed to make the soap tingly. When I make salt bars with 70% salt they just taste salty.

I know that 'tingly' you describe... I can't explain exactly what it is, but leaving the soap for another day or two always works for me.

Latest posts

Back