Zanys Recipe - Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shana Lacey

Reaction score
I’m brand new here. This is my first post!

Anyway I have been looking for a super gentle recipe to use for someone I know with cancer and someone recommended trying zanys recipe on this forum ... however I’m wondering about the measurements since I am in the United States.

for example - one court here is different than one court in other places

has anyone is the unites states made this recipe? If so could you share the conversion/recipe measurements you used

also what does 1.7:1 lye ratio mean

thanks 🙏

I’m brand new here.
As a Newbie, first you need to spend some time learning how to make soap. Then go to the Beginners Forum for links to learn to make soap online.
a super gentle recipe to use for someone I know with cancer
Good for you! However, Zany's No Slime Castile is an advanced formula for experienced soapmakers. Once made, you can enjoy making it for yourself and others for the rest of your life! ;)
however I’m wondering about the measurements since I am in the United States. ...has anyone is the unites states made this recipe? If so could you share the conversion/recipe measurements you used
Since the recipe was posted in 2018, countless SMF members and non-members who have access to it have made it. Take some time to read through the whole thread to learn more.

No conversion is necessary if you live in the USA. :thumbs:

You don’t need Zany’s recipe to make 100% Castile soap. While learning to make soap, you can buy 100% olive oil soap in stores….Kiss My Face is one brand. I don’t recommend 100% coconut oils soap by Kirks. And while I haven’t tried them all, I think Dr. Bronner’s is pretty hars.

In the meantime, you can practice soap making. Just know that 100% olive oil soap need to cure a minimum of 6 months, and 12 months is recommended.

100% lard soap is also very mild and gentle. (edited to make Resolvable Owl happy :p)

You may also want to consider a pH balanced detergent bar, unscented. I absolutely love 100 Senses, for hair and skin. If it weren’t for the fact that I make soap, that 100 Senses bar would be the only thing in my shower. My dyed hair doesn’t even need conditioner!

Last edited:
You don’t need Zany’s recipe to make 100% Castile soap.
Smack Laugh.gif
So true!
But I hope we can agree that Shana needs to learn the safety precautions of working with lye and, at the very minimum, how to use a lye calculator, if she wants to make soap for herself and others. ;)

:thumbs: :thumbs: 2 thumbs up for the rest of your excellent advice. Well said.

View attachment 63674So true!
But I hope we can agree that Shana needs to learn the safety precautions of working with lye and, at the very minimum, how to use a lye calculator, if she wants to make soap for herself and others. ;)

:thumbs: :thumbs: 2 thumbs up for the rest of your excellent advice. Well said.

Yes. Didn’t see the need to repeat the same advice though.

Hello everyone!
It is not that I have never made soap... matter of fact I have been making soap for several years and know the safety precautions of lye... I have just never done a water discount and have always used a recipe or soap calc for my lye ratio... and I’m extra precautious on this one since a couple people commented that the measurements were not the same as us measurements.

100% lard is also very mild and gentle.
Not so sure if the pigs would agree with that.

On the other hand, also the olive trees likely had different plans for their offspring, than being squeezed to please the skin of humans.

But back to topic.
1.7 parts water for each part NaOH, i. e. dissolve 100 g of NaOH in 170 mL of water, or 135 g NaOH + 230 g water per kg of olive oil (you can plug this number in any decent soap calculator).

Hello everyone!
It is not that I have never made soap... matter of fact I have been making soap for several years and know the safety precautions of lye... I have just never done a water discount and have always used a recipe or soap calc for my lye ratio... and I’m extra precautious on this one since a couple people commented that the measurements were not the same as us measurements.

Good to know, thanks. Did you use a lye calculator or follow an already formulated recipe?

have always used a recipe or soap calc for my lye ratio... and I’m extra precautious on this one since a couple people commented that the measurements were not the same as us measurements.
Ah yes. Now that makes sense. You're talking about the calculation for the Faux Sea Water used to make the lye solution. You can just make up a quart and refrigerate what you don't use for another time. ;)

Then use the Faux Sea Water to make the lye solution. There is an option on SoapCalc to type in the 1.7:1 water to lye ratio:
1.7 to 1 NaOH.png

I’m brand new here. This is my first post!

Anyway I have been looking for a super gentle recipe to use for someone I know with cancer and someone recommended trying zanys recipe on this forum ... however I’m wondering about the measurements since I am in the United States.

for example - one court here is different than one court in other places

has anyone is the unites states made this recipe? If so could you share the conversion/recipe measurements you used

thanks 🙏
I keep elusively searching for a soap recipe that will make my skin feel like it does when I use a bar of dove or the Stephenson foaming bath butter to no avail. Not Castile, not the fake dove recipe I found online, not olive oil, Shea and cocoa butter combinations. And unfortunately two of the ingredients that make up the foaming bath butter are not available on my usual sites:
  • Aqua
  • Glycerin
  • Sodium Lauroyl Isethionate
  • Sorbitol
  • Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate
  • Sodium Chloride
  • Phenoxyethanol
  • Tetrasodium EDTA

My sister-in-law has cancer and is going through chemo & radiation treatments. She is a massage therapist. She asked me to make her a soap made with goat milk, cocoa butter, shea butter and a gentle exfoliant, I used jojoba beads. She also wanted the scent to be Clarey Sage (to help with clarity) & lavender (help with anxiety & relaxation). She loved the soap that I came up with. Shared it with a bunch of her “chemo“ buddies & I am on my 4th batch for her. I also made some smaller bars without the jojoba beads, for her granddaughters.
Have fun.

Attachments

• 02C6DF81-EEB6-447C-B08E-7BA9C991322B.jpeg
    02C6DF81-EEB6-447C-B08E-7BA9C991322B.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 51B591B7-63B1-4CB8-B8D3-521B676849D4.jpeg
    51B591B7-63B1-4CB8-B8D3-521B676849D4.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 22
I keep elusively searching for a soap recipe that will make my skin feel like it does when I use a bar of dove or the Stephenson foaming bath butter to no avail.
You would receive more replies if you would start a new thread. You're looking for a "syndet" (synthetic/detergent) bar -- we have quite a few members that can help you with that. ;) :thumbs:

My sister-in-law has cancer and is going through chemo & radiation treatments. ...She loved the soap that I came up with. Shared it with a bunch of her “chemo“ buddies & I am on my 4th batch for her.
That is wonderful news. My experience and research indicated that unscented mild castile soap is best for cancer patients. So that's good to know!

You might want to start a new thread featuring the Clary Sage/Lavender EO blend, along with your recipe to benefit others who want to make soap for their dear ones that may be suffering from cancer. if not, that's perfectly okay. Totally up to you and what you are most comfortable doing. ;):thumbs:

Anyway I have been looking for a super gentle recipe to use for someone I know with cancer and someone recommended trying zanys recipe on this forum ...

Welcome to the forum. I used ZNSC on my freshly radiated skin a couple years ago and it felt sooooooooooooooooo nice. My mom is a 2-timer and agreed she would have loved it herself. Leave it unscented. It's nice of you to be thinking of your friend. I'm sure she'll appreciate it!

Hope

Back