Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping you would pop in to take that question @Basil. View attachment 58074
I've never done it with fresh goats milk. 🙄
I've been out of the loop for awhile, @Zany_in_CO but I'm slowly returning. Yes, I LOVE your ZNSC with goat milk, and so do all my daughers, my mother, my sister and many of my friends. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with experimenting with other recipes. You nailed this!!!

I've been out of the loop for awhile, @Zany_in_CO but I'm slowly returning. Yes, I LOVE your ZNSC with goat milk, and so do all my daughers, my mother, my sister and many of my friends. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with experimenting with other recipes. You nailed this!!!
Oh here I go again @Zany_in_CO responding to myself 😂. I have to add my DH to that as he’s a burn victim and it works for him! ❤️

454D65CE-B89E-46EE-9617-98C88114763D.jpeg@Zany_in_CO I joined to thank you for your Zany’s no slime Castile! I made today with your tweak of a touch of coconut & castor. I titled my soapcalc sheet “ZNSC”. I don’t sell my soap but I will always reference it as “Zany’s no slime Bastille”. Thank You x1000😊 🥰🤩🥳🧼

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this recipe, Zany, I want to try this one! 😊

It has been a long time since I made olive oil soap now, so I really feel an experiment coming on! I have spent the last coupple of years to finetune my recipes for my CPSR, so I haven`t done much experimenting or playing with other things. Now I have my CPRS, so this peaked my interest, with faux sea water no less, that was new to me!

So trying something different will be fun!

Will post pictures! I have some new and adorable silicone molds that would be perfect for this!

Zany help! I waited too long to cut and it's crumbly! Can I rebatch????

Not Zany (answering your question on rebatching this crumbly soap)
You can rebatch any soap

this one will curdle quickly, similar to salting out

Last edited:
36 Oz water = 1000g water
The recipe requires 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of bicarb.

US tablespoon = 15ml (Australian tablespoon = 20ml)

So you made about 1/4 of the batch and used about 1/4 of the additives (give or take and in this situation that’s fine).

What might have impacted on you was if you mixed the salt into the lye water (very difficult) or if you miss measured the lye or water.

I hope someone else corrected this down the chain (still reading through the 35 pages of comments), but 32ozs of water weighs 907.2 grams, not 1000 grams…

LOL "plain old olive oil" is just as good. It's the EVOO that is mostly adulterated here in the States.

@Zany, I appreciate the recipe. I produce olive oil here I CA and have been looking for a good recipe to use on my seasonal leftovers (perfectly good oil, just didn't get sold before the next season.) One reaction to your comments about oil… the adulteration risk comes from imported EVOO to the US (the Italian brands especially!) There are a considerable number of US producers where that is not a risk. Our challenge is making sure the US oil meets the EVOO standards and is not just VOO sold as EVOO. Check the label for either the CA Olive Oil Commission or Olive Oil Commission of CAfor the seals to validatecertifications.

You pointed out the lower acidity. Since I am using EVOO, what adjustments to the 1.7 ratio would you make?

I hope someone else corrected this down the chain (still reading through the 35 pages of comments), but 32ozs of water weighs 907.2 grams, not 1000 grams…
You mis-read what you quoted:

36 Oz water = 1000g water
The recipe requires 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of bicarb.

US tablespoon = 15ml (Australian tablespoon = 20ml)

So you made about 1/4 of the batch and used about 1/4 of the additives (give or take and in this situation that’s fine).

What might have impacted on you was if you mixed the salt into the lye water (very difficult) or if you miss measured the lye or water.
@penelope said 36 ounces, not 32 ounces.

Also, please note that she is in Austrailia where a conversion of fluid ounces to the Australian cup is 250 ml =

If you want to be precise, I get 1020.58 grams, but 1000 grams is close, and to throw a monkey into the works, as I recall there are some differences in how much is in an Imperial (or Troy) Ounce versus the ounce used in the US. (I know, that's probably not helpful.)

Just as a point of reference, there IS a difference in volume measurements in different parts of the world, which is another reason they should not be used in soapmaking.

Reference: Imperial and U.S. Systems of Measurement – Basic Kitchen and Food Service Management
https://www.traditionaloven.com/cul...water-volume-to-gram-g-water-weight-mass.html

I'd like to try this recipe but wonder if I have to read through 34 pages of comments (!) to know if there are any changes or adjustments to the opening post. I do like reading comments, but am unable to go through them all. If I understand correctly, it might be hard to edit the opening post, which is why I ask. Thank you, and I hope I will soon have happy results to report.

I'd like to try this recipe but wonder if I have to read through 34 pages of comments (!) to know if there are any changes or adjustments to the opening post. I do like reading comments, but am unable to go through them all. If I understand correctly, it might be hard to edit the opening post, which is why I ask. Thank you, and I hope I will soon have happy results to report.
Yes I felt the same way when tackling songwind's shave thread haha. There's a time limit to edits unfortunately, but Zany posts often so I'm sure you can get answers directly from the creator if ya got questions.

No need to read em’ all if ya don’t wanna. The recipe is unchanged & FABULOUSLY WONDERFUL. I highly recommend. I’ve made it using her, @Zany_in_CO , recommended tweak of 85% 10% CO + 5% castor. Have also made it with 90%OO + 10% castor. The recipe is famous & another soaper has posted it to YouTube.

Last edited:
ETA: @LynetteO --- Haha. I couldn't have said it better myself! As a matter of fact, I did say it. LOL But you beat me to posting it. Well done! 😍

I'd like to try this recipe but wonder if I have to read through 34 pages of comments
Hi Arlo, Good question! No, you don't have to read through the whole thread -- unless you want to try a variation from what I wrote. In my defense, I attempted to lock that thread at 15 pages for exactly that reason but it was not allowed.

I am sorry it is as long as it is but you can feel confident about following the recipe as written. Pay close attention to the way the lye calculation is set up, i.e. type in 1.7:1 and use 0% SF.
1.7 to 1 NaOH.png

I glanced through your previous posts and see you are familiar with making CP olive oil soap. You may want to review those threads to refresh the advice you got there. I think you'll be pleased with how this formula compares to the way we used to make OO Castile soap.

That video that @LynetteO posted makes it look SO easy:

Pay attention to the temps recommended in the recipe to trace more quickly than she does in that video.

You might like the 85% Olive Oil, 10% coconut oil and 5% castor oil variation. It's the one I make for personal use. I start using it at the 2-week mark, but of course, the longer the cure the better.

I advise you to make a small 500 gram / 16 oz trial batch first with no color, fragrance, no sodium lactate or other additive until after you experience the soap as intended.

Make the faux sea salt water a day or so ahead and store it in the fridge until you're ready to make soap.

That's about it.

HAPPY SOAPING! :nodding:

Last edited:
Thank you, Zany and others. I haven't been making soap for the last couple of years so it was fun to read my old posts. I did learn something! But now after entertaining myself watching many, many videos I'm inspired to try again especially since I've decided to do very small batches (500g oil) so not that much to lose if I mess up, but a lot to learn. So far the hardest part is lining the small mold my husband made... The sea water is in the fridge and ready to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back