Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is interesting that the original recipes called for using natural seawater. I would imagine that the natural presence of Ca and Mg, which make up the components of "hard water" and bind to soap molecules making soap less effective, are in effect probably working against the "slimey" properties of castile type soaps right in the bar.
Well, I guess it's also because Marseilles, were Castille soap originally comes from, is on the seaside, so they could have water (even if sea water) for free. 😅😆

Happy Bubbles,
Stéphanie

I'm really struggling tonight trying to get Zany's recipe into the SMF calculator. Is this correct? I appreciate the help. Just a rough night here with grumpy teenager and hubby.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210424-001613_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210424-001613_Chrome.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 53
I'm really struggling tonight trying to get Zany's recipe into the SMF calculator. Is this correct? I appreciate the help. Just a rough night here with grumpy teenager and hubby.
If you look back at post # 1. Zany's recipe is 100% olive oil (no castor) and has a SF of 0% (Zero). That's the first thing I notice that is different from what you have entered. Although she does later in the post, suggest 5% Castor & 10% CO for a "bubblier & milder" soap.

The other thing you can do, but don't have to so, is to input the additives: salt & Sodium Bicarbonate. If you input them, they will show in your list of ingredients.

n.b. First you would need to add the Sodium Bicarb as a custom additive to the list of additives.

ETA:

Just an FYI (Please don't be offended): You're new to SMF so you probably aren't aware that there is a separate forum for help with a recipe: RECIPE FEEDBACK FORUM <snip>
1619279446261.png

If it isn't too much trouble, you too! 🥰
View attachment 56454
ETA: The Edit Button is only available for 24 hours.

Will do if and when.

Actually the edit button does not always appear to be a specific length of time. For some odd reason, I have found it to vary in how long it is available, for me, anyway.

@AAShillito , you don't actually have "delete" option, but you can remove (delete) all your words and replace with a new word or words, using the "edit" radio button in the lower left of your post.

If you do want to start a new thread as Zany suggests, make sure to copy and paste from the above post, otherwise you will be having to start from scratch with a new post. Your choice.

Last edited:
If you look back at post # 1. Zany's recipe is 100% olive oil (no castor) and has a SF of 0% (Zero). That's the first thing I notice that is different from what you have entered. Although she does later in the post, suggest 5% Castor & 10% CO for a "bubblier & milder" soap.

The other thing you can do, but don't have to so, is to input the additives: salt & Sodium Bicarbonate. If you input them, they will show in your list of ingredients.

n.b. First you would need to add the Sodium Bicarb as a custom additive to the list of additives.
So all I need to do is change the oo to 100% and add the additives? Thanks. I needed that! I think the original percentages were throwing me off as I didn't see oo amounts

I'm really struggling tonight trying to get Zany's recipe into the SMF calculator. Is this correct?
Just an FYI (Please don't be offended): You're new to SMF so you probably aren't aware that there is a separate forum for help with a recipe:

RECIPE FEEDBACK FORUM

There are two reasons for this:
1) You are likely to get more responses by starting a new thread. :thumbs:
2) Your query invites what is likely to develop into an OT (Off Topic) discussion. This is considered a "Hijack". Although hijacks are fairly common, it is still considered rude by some members who would prefer to keep their threads to the least number of pages as possible. Currently at 33 pages, it's a lot for first timers like yourself to slog through.

If it isn't too much trouble, you can use the EDIT button to delete your post and move it to where it belongs.

If it isn't too much trouble, you too! 🥰

Thank You.gif

ETA: The Edit Button is only available for 24 hours.

Actually the edit button does not always appear to be a specific length of time. For some odd reason, I have found it to vary in how long it is available, for me, anyway.
I wish that were true for me.
I planned on deleting my post this AM but forgot! 🤪
Now my edit button is gone.
Thanks just the same, Earlene. I appreciate your taking the time to at least make the effort, also for your help and support. :thumbs:

@Zany_in_CO Do you think this recipe could be used if the salt and baking soda was mixed with fresh goat milk before freezing and then used to make Goat Soap? (Assuming it freezes)

Last edited:
there's 33 pages and I don't feel like reading them all this morning... I did search but nothing popped up.
I've not used faux sea water before (don't know why) but was hoping @ResolvableOwl or @Zany_in_CO have you HPed this? I've HPed a bastile before, but I've been asked for a "real" castile so, I thought I'd ask before hand, what results people have had HPing Zany's formula.

You beast know exactly how to trigger me to do more experiments 😆
Seriously, I've made my very first ZNSC (or rather, jojoba-castor TNSJ) with faux sea water only today, and it went fine so far without HP. It was hard like cocoa butter when I took it out of the CPOP oven (some 5 hours after making it), and I'll unmould it tomorrow (individual silicone moulds).

So long, back to literature work. Maybe I just had a bit more luck in searching this thread, but there are a few promising mentions of HP from @Rembetissa @Dawni @linne1gi:
Zany's no slime castile | Zany's no slime castile | Zany's no slime castile | Zany's no slime castile | and also I tried to HP Zany's no slime Castile
At a first glance, it boils down to “If you are a HP aficionado, HPing ZNSC is totally possible and performs about as well as with CP – but YMMV”. I personally would probably give HP a try; but on the other hand I'd be too curious about the proverbial speed-up to miss the opportunity to compare it to non-ZNSC in CP.

You beast know exactly how to trigger me to do more experiments 😆
Seriously, I've made my very first ZNSC (or rather, jojoba-castor TNSJ) with faux sea water only today, and it went fine so far without HP. It was hard like cocoa butter when I took it out of the CPOP oven (some 5 hours after making it), and I'll unmould it tomorrow (individual silicone moulds).

So long, back to literature work. Maybe I just had a bit more luck in searching this thread, but there are a few promising mentions of HP from @Rembetissa @Dawni @linne1gi:
Zany's no slime castile | Zany's no slime castile | Zany's no slime castile | Zany's no slime castile | and also I tried to HP Zany's no slime Castile
At a first glance, it boils down to “If you are a HP aficionado, HPing ZNSC is totally possible and performs about as well as with CP – but YMMV”. I personally would probably give HP a try; but on the other hand I'd be too curious about the proverbial speed-up to miss the opportunity to compare it to non-ZNSC in CP.
didn't realise I could search actual thread (I'm an idiot - I know there's advanced search - just didn't think). Am reading links now. thank you lovely - your post in the other thread was what triggered my intrigue. For the last month, my niece has been asking me to make castile for her. But, in the past, I just found it too slimy and preferred bastille. But, no venture taken, no adventure had.

there's 33 pages and I don't feel like reading them all this morning... I did search but nothing popped up.
I've not used faux sea water before (don't know why) but was hoping @ResolvableOwl or @Zany_in_CO have you HPed this? I've HPed a bastile before, but I've been asked for a "real" castile so, I thought I'd ask before hand, what results people have had HPing Zany's formula.
Short answer - it's one of the easiest recipes to HP, in my opinion.

My thread is linked above, with far between updates spanning a year lol.

I used very less water compared to my other HP recipes but go with the amount you think you can still control.

Short answer - it's one of the easiest recipes to HP, in my opinion.

My thread is linked above, with far between updates spanning a year lol.

I used very less water compared to my other HP recipes but go with the amount you think you can still control.
Just reading all your posts at the moment, I made the faux water (it's in the fridge), just going to read a little more first before I give it a go. Will post update later today. but it's Friday and I'm supposed to be formulating not soaping. But telling myself school work can wait. I feel like soaping it's nice winter weather.

I've made ZNSC about 4 times now, both CP and HP. I make it adding the coconut and castor oils. When I hot process in my crockpot, I always add about 1 oz more of faux seawater and 1 Tbs sodium lactate to 3 lbs. oil to keep it a little easier to stir. Zany's soap comes out fine in HP form. A little prettier loaf when I CP, but it's still just fine as HP soap. Good luck with it.

So I did add a bit of sodium lactate at the end because I'm using cheap silicone moulds and HPing. I did add a little bit more water. I ran out of olive oil. Thought I had a little more than what I had - always forget it's heavier - I assumed I had about 850 - 900 grams - I had 684.8 grams; because of my size of mould holds 1.3kg (I underestimated) I added 171.2 grams of coconut oil - ended up being 80% OO and 20% CO - as I said I underestimated. My total batch weight was 1.2 kg. I didn't want to go less than 80% OO because I didn't want to add anything other than CO and 20% CO is kinda high. I would have added castor (but I'm waiting on an order - had hoped would arrive today before weekend - so of course it didn't).

It traced nicely, so issues with batch (other than being on the small size) looks good, still quite soft but it's only been a few hours out. I used some rosemary, rosewood and frankincense EO to scent - I wasn't going to scent at all - but changed my mind the last minute.

Child#3 Miss10 decided it needed flowers on top. So she added some jasmine (hope they don't discolour the soap - they shouldn't?)

@Zany_in_CO your formula is lovely. Faux sea water easy to make. Look forward to testing it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210709_170612.jpg
    IMG_20210709_170612.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
@Zany_in_CO your formula is lovely. Faux sea water easy to make. Look forward to testing it.
Well done! And thank you!
TIP: In the future, it might be best to post your results in the Photo Gallery and link back to this thread, to share your experience with others and allow room for discussion. :thumbup: 😁

Most of the time I use dual lye. Wondering if anyone has tried that? I'd like to give Zany's famous recipe a go.
Best to ask that in a new thread... more members likely will see it and you'll get more responses. ;)
As far as I know, no one has tried dual lye, not even me. Curious about it though. Please feel free to give if a go and start a new thread "ZNSC Dual Lye" or something along those lines. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back