Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This recipe has become FB famous. Saw it posted in the Saponification Nation group today. Apparently some can’t wrap their heads around a 0% SF 😁
This is such a gentle recipe that I can wash my hands 95x a day and I have no issues. Definitely works well on my husband’s sensitive skin too. I’ll have to make up another batch soon. I add clay and it adds a nice extra bit of creamy factor.

This recipe has become FB famous. Saw it posted in the Saponification Nation group today. Apparently some can’t wrap their heads around a 0% SF 😁
This is such a gentle recipe that I can wash my hands 95x a day and I have no issues. Definitely works well on my husband’s sensitive skin too. I’ll have to make up another batch soon. I add clay and it adds a nice extra bit of creamy factor.
I wish I could like Castile soap, but I haven't yet. I need to make a batch of this and put it away to see if it changes anything for me.

I wish I could like Castile soap, but I haven't yet. I need to make a batch of this and put it away to see if it changes anything for me.

I made unscented standard Castile for my husband and I can’t stand it. The slime is so off putting. Not my favorite. I definitely recommend Zany’s. There was significantly less oleic ick factor after just weeks. A longer cure would be even better.

I will, if it ever arrives. It was supposed to be here Tuesday. It is now Friday, still no book. I'm trying to be patient.
Hi. I’m going into the Soaps in History phase as we speak. I bought some Aleppo and have been working on my Castile. Let us know how you like the book. I may have to hunt it down and get it. I’m currently wading through Scientific Soapmaking which is like being in HS chemistry again, lol. It will require another read to get deeper as I’m only touching the surface this time around.

New to soapmaking and followed this castile soap recipe. Very glad to see the bars come out of the mold easy and firm. I was surprised to see how beautiful white they are. But I've reading how Castile soap is a light yellow or green. Do these white bars mean something is wrong with them?

New to soapmaking and followed this castile soap recipe. Very glad to see the bars come out of the mold easy and firm. I was surprised to see how beautiful white they are. But I've reading how Castile soap is a light yellow or green. Do these white bars mean something is wrong with them?
Nope, nothing is wrong with them. that’s how mine comes out also .”, especially if you’re using the lighter oil rather than the dark oil.

This recipe does not work for everyone. It went very dossy for me in 6 months and I just found the printout today in which I followed the recipe as written. It was okay because like Obsidian I cannot use and do not like Castille soap, or any high Oleic soap for that matter.
cmzaha, I don´t think the DOS is down to the recipe, more likely the oil itself, no? I know there are many on this forum that don't like high olive oil soaps and I completely understand, regular castille can get a bit gloopy but I've been really surprised that people comment that it's drying to their skin. I was wondering about this because I noticed that most who have said they find OO drying seem to be in the US. I have read that an astounding amount of OO that ends up in the US is adulterated (mixed with cheap often oxidised oils). This could explain your dossy castille soap cmzaha and maybe why people find the soap harsh as the recipe isn't what you think it is.

Obviously, as you can tell by my name, I'm an OO fan. I love how creamy, gentle and lotion-like very high OO soaps are but I know that people are different and like different qualities in their soaps. I just wondered if this could be why people aren't getting on with OO?

cmzaha, I don´t think the DOS is down to the recipe, more likely the oil itself, no? I know there are many on this forum that don't like high olive oil soaps and I completely understand, regular castille can get a bit gloopy but I've been really surprised that people comment that it's drying to their skin. I was wondering about this because I noticed that most who have said they find OO drying seem to be in the US. I have read that an astounding amount of OO that ends up in the US is adulterated (mixed with cheap often oxidised oils). This could explain your dossy castille soap cmzaha and maybe why people find the soap harsh as the recipe isn't what you think it is.

Obviously, as you can tell by my name, I'm an OO fan. I love how creamy, gentle and lotion-like very high OO soaps are but I know that people are different and like different qualities in their soaps. I just wondered if this could be why people aren't getting on with OO?
I know what you are saying about the US OO but cmzaha is a very experienced soaper and would know the cause of the DOS. She is not alone with having problems with this recipe. Unfortunately, I know Australia’s (including me) who have not had success with this recipe. Real sea water works fine though which is traditionally what a lot of soapers used to use.
BTW I love OO too but we are in the minority on this forum.
Everyone’s skin is different too which goes a long way to explaining soap likes and dislikes.

Many things can play into DOS. As PJ said cmzaha is experienced and knows what she's talking about. I'm another one who dislikes OO soap. I too made this recipe and disliked it. But some like it well enough. So, personal preferences.

I know what you are saying about the US OO but cmzaha is a very experienced soaper and would know the cause of the DOS. She is not alone with having problems with this recipe.
Hi, it wasn't my intention to question cmzaha's knowledge at all. I have limited experience with DOS (only had some bars get it when they got damp during cure - or at least that's my best guess). All of my soap is high in OO and quite a lot is castille so I'm very interested to know how this could interact with DOS problems. Cmzaha, when you say that this recipe doesn't work for everyone and you got DOS, do you think it's something to do with this particular variation of castille (the baking soda/salt combination for example?) or something more generally to do with high olive oil soaps?

PenelopeJane and Shunt2011, I completely agree with you; different skin issues, different needs/preferences. The important thing is that we can all find something that works for our skin.

Hi. I’m going into the Soaps in History phase as we speak. I bought some Aleppo and have been working on my Castile. Let us know how you like the book. I may have to hunt it down and get it. I’m currently wading through Scientific Soapmaking which is like being in HS chemistry again, lol. It will require another read to get deeper as I’m only touching the surface this time around.

Unfortunately, it was a little disappointing in the soap history department. It's more like a pamphlet, weighing in at a mere 16 pages. It doesn't mention any recipes at all. Soaphistory.com has most of this information already. It DOES have some really cool illustrations. Advertisements, etc. from back in the day.

I wish there was more information available about this. But it seems there isn't much that's been preserved.

Last edited:
Haha. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this information, @sarahmarah. ❣ I predicted early on, since we have some 500 Lookie-Loos (aka non-members) visiting SMF on a daily basis, that this recipe would make the rounds of soap makers everywhere in due time. Which would be great! I consider it my legacy to the soapmaking community in deepest gratitude to those who generously shared their knowledge and experience when I first started soaping. :)
Thanks Zany_in_Co. Rocky Mountain High...da de dum. I'm going to create another post on curing CP soap faster with water discount. I look forward to your reply.
Hiya @Dollyk8! I'm happy to reply, but only if you please start a New Thread rather than posting here. We already have too many hijacks (off-topic conversations). While interesting and even helpful, it does increase the length of the thread unnecessarily, therefore making it more challenging for future readers to slog through. JMHO. :)

Haha. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this information, @sarahmarah. ❣ I predicted early on, since we have some 500 Lookie-Loos (aka non-members) visiting SMF on a daily basis, that this recipe would make the rounds of soap makers everywhere in due time. Which would be great! I consider it my legacy to the soapmaking community in deepest gratitude to those who generously shared their knowledge and experience when I first started soaping. :)

Hiya @Dollyk8! I'm happy to reply, but only if you please start a New Thread rather than posting here. We already have too many hijacks (off-topic conversations). While interesting and even helpful, it does increase the length of the thread unnecessarily, therefore making it more challenging for future readers to slog through. JMHO. :)
She said she’s starting another thread.

I figured I have time to try this tonight... But realized the only salt I have on hand is one we don't know the origins of lol it was bought in the wet market so I cannot be sure it is sea salt, compared to the packet I have finished which was clearly labeled. This one isn't fine also, FYI.

Is this still OK to use in the same amount posted?

Also, I wanted to be the odd woman out and try to HP this but I have a question regarding the liquid amount. Will 1.7:1 be ok for HP? Or should I use slightly more water? I don't lift the lid often btw, just once to stir when 50% of it has gelled, and then when it's done.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions :)
Did you ever find a good HP version for @Zany_in_CO no slime castile recipe? I'm also a HP gal and would like to try this but I know their has to be some tweaking with liquid. Any help/tips would be much appreciated.

This is a tried and true recipe that I've made several times. Others have tried it with excellent results. Be sure to keep the bar high and dry between uses by using a soap-saver-type soap dish. Tweak to your heart's delight! (Like, do I even need to say that?! :D)

ZANY’S NO SLIME OLIVE OIL CASTILE
Ingredients: Olive oil, water, sea salt, sodium bicarbonate.

1) MAKE FAUX SEAWATER - Use for water portion of the lye solution.
1 quart warm water
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)

I make up a quart at a time and store it in the fridge until I need it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2) MAKE LYE SOLUTION - Mix and allow to cool to 35°C - 40°C (100°F - 110°F).
1.7:1 Water to Lye Ratio (Note decimal and colon)
0% Super Fat/Lye Discount

Notes: I’ve tried 2:1 and 1.5:1. 1.5:1 gets almost too hard and 1:2 is okay but a bit slimey, so, for me, 1.7:1 is the ideal. Olive oil is high in unsaponifiables; so 0% SF works best to reduce slippery slime.
Prepare lye solution and set it in the sink to cool. Weigh olive oil into soap pot. Warm to 35°C - 40°C (100°F - 110°F). Combine when lye and oils are within -12°C (10°F) of each other. SB on and off to emulsion stage (5 - 25 minutes, depending on grade of olive oil.) Slowly pour into mold. Tap to remove bubbles. Spritz lightly with alcohol. Cover with plastic wrap. Insulate. Leave soap undisturbed for 12-24 hours.
UNMOLD in 12-24 hours
CUT Day 2
CURE Ready to ship in 2 weeks. 6 weeks is best. The longer the cure the better the soap.
Unscented, this soap is suitable for babies, sensitive skin, and for cancer patients undergoing radiation. Add 5% castor oil and 10% coconut oil for bubbles and an even milder soap.

If adding fragrance, add 0.85 oz. FO or 0.5% EO /PPO (Per 500 grams) to the castor oil an hour or so ahead of time (or overnight) and a teaspoon PPO of dry ingredient of choice -- corn starch, oat flour, arrowroot powder, White Kaolin Clay, etc. -- to help “stick” the fragrance.

VARIATIONS: Infuse Calendula Petals (yellow) or Bay Leaves (green) in oil ahead of time. Strain. Use up to 40% in the batch to add mildness and color.
Thank you Zany I knew I had it but I simply couldn't find it anywhere thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back