Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew it wasn't going to improve overnight so I scrapped it back into the jug, added about a Tbs of the brine/bi-carb mix, microwaved to 37 C , then SB'd for about 2 or 3 minutes until it was almost too thick to glop into the molds.

I'm a beginner so I'm just guessing here based on what I've read. That looks sort of like "alien brain." Caused by overheating during saponification. I'm guessing that microwaving it once saponification had already started is what caused it.

Thanks Sparks...it certainly was alien brain and maybe it did overheat during saponification. I usually have a peek after an hour or two to see how it's going but I didn't this time...not for 12 hours, to find "AB"... so it well could have.
I didn't microwave until after I'd discovered this and had scraped it all back in the jug. As it was cold, I just wanted to warm it a little to give it another stick blend.
Anyway....problem was solved ! I just popped the rebatch out of the mold after about 15 hours and it's looking good....just been and taken a pic.
You can see it was quite gloppy when I put it in the mold the second time...and I lost two bars in the process but I think all will be good after a couple of months cure. But thanks for your suggestion of overheating being the problem... that hadn't occurred to me. 🙄
IMG_20200614_152459.jpg

This recipe is a keeper and it will be in my rotation forever. I'm so happy to have this recipe. Thank you!
I second miheypete's remarks...thanks Zany 🤩
Just showered with it for the first time this morning...after nearly 6 week cure :tub:....loved it and definitely NO SLIME :)

This recipe is a keeper and it will be in my rotation forever. I'm so happy to have this recipe. Thank you!
You're welcome. ;)

I didn't microwave until after I'd discovered this and had scraped it all back in the jug. As it was cold, I just wanted to warm it a little to give it another stick blend. Anyway....problem was solved !
Good thinking! Nice save!!!
I second miheypete's remarks...thanks Zany
You're very welcome. ;)
Just showered with it for the first time this morning...after nearly 6 week cure :tub:....loved it and definitely NO SLIME :)
YAY!

I agree with @Sparks - I don’t think there was anything wrong with your soap. It overheated a bit, which caused the wrinkled tops, but I think you could have left it to cure and it would have been fine.

The upside is, now you have experience with a microwave HP save - one that worked! That’s a good strategy to have in your arsenal.

If your friend is horrified, tell her next time you will save her good stuff for salad dressing if she will give you the pomace, or even the later pressings, for soap-making.;)

I didn't microwave until after I'd discovered this and had scraped it all back in the jug. As it was cold, I just wanted to warm it a little to give it another stick blend.
Anyway....problem was solved !

Awesome! Happy it worked out. AND I learned something about troubleshooting from this. So Win-Win!

Last edited:
where I met most of my mentors, all generous people willing to share not only their knowledge and expertise, but recipes as well. At that time, we were mostly "mad scientists" trying one thing or another and helping to trouble shoot problems.
Thanks Zany for paying it forward! I owe a lot of my soaping confidence to your kind words and encouragement. And this recipe is still my favourite! 🧼👑

@Zany_in_CO thank you so much for the recipe! I tried my first batch of the No Slime Castile (+ 10% coconut oil and 5% castor oil) and was thrilled with how things went. My lye solution did turn a little cloudy, but I didn't have any small particles precipitate out. No color, no FO's.

IMG_20200710_160721514.jpg

I unmolded it after about 14 hours and could have left it in for a few more but it was still okay, just one small section tried to pull away as I separated it from the mold.

IMG_20200711_063948029.jpg

I will cut it tomorrow morning. I love the creamy white color. Can't wait to try it! :tub:

Thanks, Zany!

Would using sea water from my local beach work just as well as mixing salt with water as above? I am very new to soak making, I have only made 2 batches using 950g OO and 50g CO would these be considered castile?
I had my son-in-law bring me a gallon of sea water from the west coast (they live on Vancouver Island). I boiled it to kill anything that might be living in it, then strained it to remove any sediment, and use it when I make this recipe. Why use faux sea water when I have access to the real thing?

My batch of no slime Castile is a year and a half now and I just started using it. The slime is significantly lower and the lather is better.

Unfortunately, my skin still hates olive oil so I won't be using it. Need to find someone who wants it, no one I know likes Castile.

My batch of no slime Castile is a year and a half now and I just started using it. The slime is significantly lower and the lather is better.

Unfortunately, my skin still hates olive oil so I won't be using it. Need to find someone who wants it, no one I know likes Castile.

I had the same experience. I donated it.

I had the same experience. I donated it.
Its near impossible to donate to our.one shelter here. Half the time you can't reach thwm.and the other half, they aren't accepting donations.

These are really ugly anyways, terrible silicone rash and weird rough texture from pulling them out of the molds while they were still sticky.

@Obsidian I seem to recall you are in north Idaho, yes? Some friends down here in Ada County have sons in the CDA area, and they visit one another often. Next time one of them is making the trip, I'll check with you. Our shelters here in Ada County are all clamoring for soap, and I'd be happy to pass it along to them for you. No doubt there will be someone in the shelter with a coconut allergy who'd be thrilled, too, as all of my soaps have some CO in them.

ETA: One of their sons is coming from CDA to my area for Labor Day weekend. Feel free to PM me if you don't find someone locally before then, and you want me to arrange for a soap mule. 😁 My husband just took 100+ bars to one of our local shelters. They have three locations and want as much soap as I can provide.

Last edited:
@Obsidian I seem to recall you are in north Idaho, yes? Some friends down here in Ada County have sons in the CDA area, and they visit one another often. Next time one of them is making the trip, I'll check with you. Our shelters here in Ada County are all clamoring for soap, and I'd be happy to pass it along to them for you. No doubt there will be someone in the shelter with a coconut allergy who'd be thrilled, too, as all of my soaps have some CO in them.

Yes, I'm about 45 min north of CDA. I'd be happy to pass them on to you, there is only a few though.

Yes, I'm about 45 min north of CDA. I'd be happy to pass them on to you, there is only a few though.
Great, feel free to PM me. The local shelters want as much soap as I can give them, so feel free to include any rebatch soap, older soap, or just excess inventory that you want to send along. Most of what I gave them was rebatch, but it smelled great and they were delighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back