Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a New Year's Miracle!!
I had put the brie-like soap on the top of the fridge, intending to rebatch after our big meal on the 1st. But....
....what to my wond'ring eyes should appear
But a fully saponified soap
In 8 tiny spheres!
(actually it's 7, and they're rectangles and one flower)

@Dru B. any update on yours?

Attachments

• unmolded castile.png
    unmolded castile.png
    352.7 KB · Views: 80
....what to my wond'ring eyes should appear
But a fully saponified soap
In 8 tiny spheres!
YAY! Success and a poet to boot! What's not to like? I love it! Love the little soapies too.
Oh my gosh! I popped it out of the silicone loaf mold and it’s perfect!!! I’m so happy.
That is wonderful news! I can hardly believe that both of you had the same problem and both of them resolved themselves. Sometimes the best thing to do is 'nothing'... allow the soap to do its thing and watch what happens. It's a good lesson for all of us. :thumbs:

Doin' the Happy Soaper Dance for both of you!
happy-feet-penguin.gif

YAY! Success and a poet to boot! What's not to like? I love it! Love the little soapies too.

That is wonderful news! I can hardly believe that both of you had the same problem and both of them resolved themselves. Sometimes the best thing to do is 'nothing'... allow the soap to do its thing and watch what happens. It's a good lesson for all of us. :thumbs:

Doin' the Happy Soaper Dance for both of you! View attachment 43234
Thank you for sharing your recipe @Zany_in_CO I will make it again soon and SB longer to see if that makes a difference. I had been thinking that this was to be a learning experience, I was going to learn about re-batching. Not this time! Patience. Thanks to @MGM for posting her results first- what a funny coincidence, nice to have someone going through the same thing.

How odd. I find I have to be very careful not to stick blend much at all or it's too thick to pour. It's even worse using lavender EO. I knew there was a reason I hate lavender EO.

More updating!
I deciding to try again, with lots more SB. Added FO (Bergamot & Mandarin by Crafter's Choice--meh so far. I smell mainly fake Creamsicle and cloves...) and a bit of liquid colour (that didn't mix in so well, but isn't DOS :) )
So! SB off and on for over 20 minutes and it never really changed...was pretty thick from the beginning (like last time). It did thin out when I added the FO, which means I ended up doing a drop swirl with the (slightly) orange batter.
This morning, not even 12 hours later, was hard as a rock! Unmolded the top right soap then. Waited another 3 hours and unmolded the rest.

Now need to let them cure and try them to make sure I like them!

Attachments

• new castile.png
    new castile.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
More updating!
I deciding to try again, with lots more SB. Added FO (Bergamot & Mandarin by Crafter's Choice--meh so far. I smell mainly fake Creamsicle and cloves...) and a bit of liquid colour (that didn't mix in so well, but isn't DOS :) )
So! SB off and on for over 20 minutes and it never really changed...was pretty thick from the beginning (like last time). It did thin out when I added the FO, which means I ended up doing a drop swirl with the (slightly) orange batter.
This morning, not even 12 hours later, was hard as a rock! Unmolded the top right soap then. Waited another 3 hours and unmolded the rest.

They look lovely!

Do you use pomace OO? My understanding is that it comes to trace faster than virgin OO or EVOO.

I do, but it's specifically my dad's brand made in Greece. I've also tried with his EVOO as well as store bought cheapy stuff. I find that all trace fairly quickly but I like the finished product with dad's pomace better.

More updating!

Love the pale pastels for these soaps. They’re very pretty in the flower molds

@MGM I like those rectangle molds!
Thanks! It's actually plain old rectangle molds but with some embossing stamps from Michaels placed on the bottom. They're made for M&P, but do ok with CP from what I can tell...you kind of have to dig them out of the bar when you unmold, which can make things less crisp, but no worse than my usual workmanship!
You need to place them carefully and pour gently so they don't move too much. I also have letters, so sometimes I make monogrammed soaps (in M&P. This is the first time I've used any of them with CP).

Attachments

• moulds and stamps.png
    moulds and stamps.png
    969.2 KB · Views: 77
Thanks! It's actually plain old rectangle molds but with some embossing stamps from Michaels placed on the bottom. They're made for M&P, but do ok with CP from what I can tell...you kind of have to dig them out of the bar when you unmold, which can make things less crisp, but no worse than my usual workmanship!
You need to place them carefully and pour gently so they don't move too much. I also have letters, so sometimes I make monogrammed soaps (in M&P. This is the first time I've used any of them with CP).
Very clever!

Made ZNSC "Pretty in Pink" 12/29/19 Batch reached emulsion in 2 minutes and then accelerated!
Probably due to adding too much sugar (1 Tbls PPO). Had to glop & plop into molds. Cut and rebatched 2 days later with 82 oz shreds + 8 oz. water. You can read about the rebatch here.

Could you glue them down with cocoa butter? I’ve been thinking of trying something like that.

Could you glue them down with cocoa butter? I’ve been thinking of trying something like that.
I don't think it's really necessary, TBH. Perhaps if you were using a paper liner, but the silicone-on-silicone seems to grip very well. The bigger issue is getting them properly place the first time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back