Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the salt water as well. Really interesting!
View attachment 36204

:nodding: So true! I'm glad you mentioned that. "Soapy Thing" is sucha kaffee klatsch... fun, but... so hard to find something once it's had it's day in the sun. Then it gets buried forever. Sigh.
Especially for us who can't shut up and have multiple posts there alone, and everywhere else..........

Haha

Color me confused

@KiwiMoose

is the top picture (pink) in #217 the color they turned after aging? Or where they started out.

Thanks!
I used my blue liquid colourant on purpose, because every time I've used it, it always turns purple. Because the soap was scented with lavender EO, I figured that would be a good colour. The top photo is immediately after un molding. I kept putting more and more 'blue' into the batter because the colour refused to change from that pinky colour, until I decided that was just gonna have to be alright. THEN after a couple of weeks curing - they turned the most beautiful blue faded denim colour! The white parts are severe soda ash, which is more likely on any bars made with salt FYI. Then more recently ( after 5 weeks cure) they started mottling blue and lavender, then within a week of that they are now almost fully lavender. Crazy huh?

After being properly chastened, the bars came out of their molds BEAUTIFULLY

Right?! Its the only batch for me that unmolded looking like polished perfection. Sea salt alone doesn’t do it. Its the baking soda that is working the magic.

I believe it was the salt water that morphed the colour:

I had salt morph the color of my hair once. I used to dye my hair and sometimes use a color rinse rather than a dye. Well, I discovered that one particular rinse I liked (that gave me a reddish tinge to my blonde hair) morphed into a sort of lavender shade when I went out on the ocean (Pacific Ocean, if that matters, which it probably doesn't). I actually was quite fond of the lavender shade I ended up with, but it was a bit of a surprise the first time it happened.

I am curious what was the colorant you used that morphed? Perhaps I missed that. All I noticed was 'blue liquid colorant' but what is it exactly?

I had salt morph the color of my hair once. I used to dye my hair and sometimes use a color rinse rather than a dye. Well, I discovered that one particular rinse I liked (that gave me a reddish tinge to my blonde hair) morphed into a sort of lavender shade when I went out on the ocean (Pacific Ocean, if that matters, which it probably doesn't). I actually was quite fond of the lavender shade I ended up with, but it was a bit of a surprise the first time it happened.

I am curious what was the colorant you used that morphed? Perhaps I missed that. All I noticed was 'blue liquid colorant' but what is it exactly?
I actually have no idea. I will find the link and see if someone can enlighten me.
https://www.candlecreations.co.nz/product/liquid-soap-dye-blue/

Last edited:
Bad Soap Time Out Report: After being properly chastened, the bars came out of their molds BEAUTIFULLY! I have placed them on a drying rack and now am VERY impatient to try them out! @Zany_in_CO thank you so much for this recipe!
You are so very welcome, Clarice! Thanks for the update. I'm so happy for you, I'm doin' the Happy Soaper's Dance!
happy-feet-penguin.gif

This is a tried and true recipe that I've made several times. Others have tried it with excellent results. Be sure to keep the bar high and dry between uses by using a soap-saver-type soap dish. Tweak to your heart's delight! (Like, do I even need to say that?! :D)

ZANY’S NO SLIME OLIVE OIL CASTILE
Ingredients: Olive oil, water, sea salt, sodium bicarbonate.

1) MAKE FAUX SEAWATER - Use for water portion of the lye solution.
1 quart warm water
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)

I make up a quart at a time and store it in the fridge until I need it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2) MAKE LYE SOLUTION - Mix and allow to cool to 35°C - 40°C (100°F - 110°F).
1.7:1 Water to Lye Ratio (Note decimal and colon)
0% Super Fat/Lye Discount

Notes: I’ve tried 2:1 and 1.5:1. 1.5:1 gets almost too hard and 1:2 is okay but a bit slimey, so, for me, 1.7:1 is the ideal. Olive oil is high in unsaponifiables; so 0% SF works best to reduce slippery slime.
Prepare lye solution and set it in the sink to cool. Weigh olive oil into soap pot. Warm to 35°C - 40°C (100°F - 110°F). Combine when lye and oils are within -12°C (10°F) of each other. SB on and off to emulsion stage (5 - 25 minutes, depending on grade of olive oil.) Slowly pour into mold. Tap to remove bubbles. Spritz lightly with alcohol. Cover with plastic wrap. Insulate. Leave soap undisturbed for 12-24 hours.
UNMOLD in 12-24 hours
CUT Day 2
CURE Ready to ship in 2 weeks. 6 weeks is best. The longer the cure the better the soap.
Unscented, this soap is suitable for babies, sensitive skin, and for cancer patients undergoing radiation. Add 5% castor oil and 10% coconut oil for bubbles and an even milder soap.

If adding fragrance, add 0.85 oz. FO or 0.5% EO /PPO (Per 500 grams) to the castor oil an hour or so ahead of time (or overnight) and a teaspoon PPO of dry ingredient of choice -- corn starch, oat flour, arrowroot powder, White Kaolin Clay, etc. -- to help “stick” the fragrance.

VARIATIONS: Infuse Calendula Petals (yellow) or Bay Leaves (green) in oil ahead of time. Strain. Use up to 40% in the batch to add mildness and color.
I don’t understand the water to lie ratio, how would I plug this into the calculator? Newbie question.

Go to soap calc. Hit the little button in front of water:lye.
Watch what it does to the other ratios after you have put the recipe in.
On the next page it will show you all the ratios for your recipe.
upload_2019-2-18_10-40-43.png

Ok with my question to figuring out this recipe, I plugged it into the calculator. So how does the 1.7:1 ration applies to this recipe for a 1 pound bar

Attachments

• ED82E5B6-4277-4937-9B77-CCBC5B9C5866.png
    ED82E5B6-4277-4937-9B77-CCBC5B9C5866.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 77
Ok with my question to figuring out this recipe, I plugged it into the calculator. So how does the 1.7:1 ration applies to this recipe for a 1 pound bar
Look at the example penelopejane showed. On the first page, you have to select the button for water:lye ratio. The corresponding box will then be highlighted and you can put 1.7:1 into it. You can change the weight of oils by doing the same thing. Do this before you select 'calculate recipe'. When you calculate your recipe, then you can select the 'view/print recipe' option at the bottom and a new page with your recipe will open. I think that is what you are asking.

Look at the example penelopejane showed. On the first page, you have to select the button for water:lye ratio. The corresponding box will then be highlighted and you can put 1.7:1 into it. You can change the weight of oils by doing the same thing. Do this before you select 'calculate recipe'. When you calculate your recipe, then you can select the 'view/print recipe' option at the bottom and a new page with your recipe will open. I think that is what you are asking.
Thank you, I realize when putting it on water lye ratio, the weight of oils goes to 100 oz. should that be like that? Or is this an error on my part?

Thank you, I realize when putting it on water lye ratio, the weight of oils goes to 100 oz. should that be like that? Or is this an error on my part?
I'm not sure what you are doing. First set your total oil weight to 16 ounces, or whatever you want it to be. Then set your water:lye ratio. Then your superfat and desired fragrance amount. Enter your oils by percent. After you have entered all of the information, calculate your recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back