Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the bad news is, that mine is still a little slimy :-(
I had a bit of trouble figuring out what to do with the super fat given that I used 85% oo, 10%CO and 5% castor. So I think I just over super fatted. Or super over fatted
LOL Yes, I was concerned about that. Thanks for the update. I'm sure it still is a nice gentle cleansing bar that will leave your face & skin feeling moisturized. :cool:

Has anyone tried to add MEADOWFOAM to this or other recipes to up the "silkiness" factor?
Meadowfoam is wonderful, even at very low %'s, in lotions and creams... it's wasted in soap, at least to my mind. But don't let that stop you from trying it. I'm just saying...
This is REALLY bringing out my inner Mad Scientist (my Mad has been out for a long time, it is the Scientist that is new!)
Atta girl, Clarice! I'm happy for you!
happy-feet-penguin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Any ideas with what to do with the first batch if it just stays mush? Any way to repurpose? Or should I just pitch?

Thanks!
I'd hide it and leave it alone for a while... A loooong while. We'll troubleshoot it when the time comes coz I think something or the other should change.

Might be a waste trying to figure out how to rebatch it now, although I guess you could if it's still mostly liquid. Mix some in with a new batch of oils, 50% of total, then add your computed lye and soap like usual, maybe with less superfat to account for the previous excess.

Unless someone has a more educated suggestion :)

100000% FAIL! LOL

Just peeked at the batch from last night - and it is like a creamy liquid. I can stick my finger straight down into each mold

No idea what I did wrong, as I did get a trace in mixing.

I followed the recipe with the following error - forgot to put SF to 0%. I made a 500 gm batch. I found that the lye mixture (with the faux sea water) was an opaque white in color. Should this have been a clue that something was amiss?

I poured into individual molds which i covered and wrapped in old rugs.

This AM? Looks like body butter :beatinghead:

Oh well - trying again!

It's an adventure!
Sound to me like you didn’t take it far enough when SBing it. I’d SB it until it is medium trace. I soap warm and wrap it. If you soap at RT or if you soap warm you can put it into a 110*F oven and turn the oven off before you put the wrapped soap in and leave it 12-18 hours. This will ensure saponification and gel.

Personally I have found that gelling a soap makes it harder quicker and means you can unmold more quickly. It also makes colours pop.

As KiwiMoose said OO does not get good numbers in soap calcs because it’s soap qualities get better over time. So ignore the numbers.

I forgot to test the soap that's about three weeks, but I do have amateur documentation of the one that's almost exactly two weeks curing. It's here if anyone is interested :)

I'll wait for the first one to hit exactly 3wks then I'll test.

Any ideas with what to do with the first batch if it just stays mush? Any way to repurpose? Or should I just pitch?
Patience, Grasshopper. I remember (when I was a newbie) waiting 3 weeks for an OO soap to get hard enough to unmold. Just put it somewhere outta sight; outta mind. :cool:

I tried your recipe twice, Zany, although I went for the addition of 10% Coconut and 5% Castor. Both times it has thickened up so quickly! I do a few bursts of the SB, figuring I'll have loads of time for coloring and pouring but lord have mercy has it not gone to plan. I am wondering if it is in part the low water (although today I used Lavender and Green Tea which usually works in low water) and in part the micas. Can't figure out what is what yet. I will say that the lather is very surprising even the next day after unmolding. I'm astonished! Thanks for sharing it.

OK - peeked at Bad Soap yesterday - did I mention I put it in individual molds?

The tops (bottoms) are now hard, I tried to unmold - but the "underneath" was still mush, so backed away from the soap!

HAH!

My second batch which I had put into a loaf mold was very nice and I sliced it yesterday. I think my combo of (1) not adhering to the temp guide due to impatience and (2) superfatting caused my first batch problem, so, properly chastened, I shall follow directions a BIT more closely in the future!

ZANY’S NO SLIME OLIVE OIL CASTILE
Ingredients: Olive oil, water, sea salt, sodium bicarbonate.

1) MAKE FAUX SEAWATER - Use for water portion of the lye solution.
1 quart warm water
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)

Just a silly question from me in Norway not measuring "stuff" in oz- lbs - mile etc but in metric units...How much is your 1 quart in milliliter or deciliter?

Pics Please! :)

And what did you use for colorant? Thanks!
Not KiwiMoose but she showed us that soap in the previous page here. There's a pic somewhere too of them being blue, almost like stone washed denim, and apparently now they're back to lavender. Very pretty soap either way :)

Some were in today's soapy thing thread I believe but there's too many pages to look through haha

@Dawni, I'll put them here again for our reference, since I believe it was the salt water that morphed the colour:
I suspect the salt water as well. Really interesting!
Thank You.gif

Some were in today's soapy thing thread I believe but there's too many pages to look through haha
:nodding: So true! I'm glad you mentioned that. "Soapy Thing" is sucha kaffee klatsch... fun, but... so hard to find something once it's had it's day in the sun. Then it gets buried forever. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back