Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I take this Vitamin E 1000 IU daily to offset Colorado's Alpine Desert Climate. For soaping, I prick and squirt the contents of 1-2 softgel capsules PPO into warmed oils before adding the lye solution. (Highly technical, I know :cool:) For ROE, use the manufacturer's recommended amount. It doesn't take much.
I have Vitamin E MT-50 kicking around that I ordered back in August and can't remember why! Just looked up it's usage rate from the supplier. It could have been for lotions or lip balms but I haven't even cracked the seal. So no harm in trying it, at least it will get some use. ROE I use all the time, so no issues with it's usage. Thanks for the response.

Having read this, and finding the name EDTA a little daunting, I spent a wee while this morning reading up on the topic. One result of that review is that I have vowed to call it edetic acid from now on.

My favourite quote, mainly because it uses recalcitrant, was: “The recalcitrance of EDTA in natural environments is of considerable concern since the effective metal-binding properties are suspected to have undesirable environmental consequences such as the remobilization of heavy metals from river sediments.”

My stance, having now taken a look at the topic: Bacon is more directly dangerous to people. EDTA does have significant and avoidable adverse environmental impact. All the same I’m not going to buy any more EDTA. I will slowly use up what little I hold and keep an eye out for less harmful alternatives.

I recognise that my review will be far from complete, but I doubt it missed anything of earth shattering importance. I also realise that the bacon reference is gratuitous (I love bacon) but it's intended to draw attention to the nature of personal risk decision making. Zany has made her 'call' on EDTA and produces much better soap than me. Therefore … Okay, maybe that's a non-cause type of correlation, but it's up to you to adopt your own stance re EDTA (amongst many other things).
Happy to post / mail my brief summary and a few references and excerpts if anyone wants.

"Happy to post / mail my brief summary and a few references and excerpts if anyone wants."

I reckon it wouldn't hurt to make a thread on the topic of bacon, @dxw :D ....

We could have a virtual convention, for comparing biodegradeable alternatives.

Biodegradable Alternatives Convention (BA-CON :cool:)

@dxw : If it isn't too much trouble, and if you can edit in the next 24 hours, please move your post to start a new topic. TIA :)

ETA:
"Happy to post / mail my brief summary and a few references and excerpts if anyone wants. I reckon it wouldn't hurt to make a thread on the topic of bacon,

You too, Figgy. Pretty please? o_O Exactly what I was hoping to prevent. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thank You.gif

On the weights and measurement side topic:
You're welcome.

I use quart. Given that water by weight is 32 oz. and by volume is 32 fluid oz., if you have a scale like mine that weighs in ounces and grams, make it easy on yourself and weigh out 32 oz, switch the scale to grams if you like, and there you have it. ;)

I couldn't agree more. It's interesting to note that JFK, President John F Kennedy, who was president in the early 60's, said that we would make it to the moon in 10 years and also convert the USA to metric in the same amount of time. We made it to the moon, but not the conversion. Says something about our Yankee spirit, me thinks. :rolleyes: (roll eyes)

I noticed that there were quite a few replies to this already, so I'll be brief .. I am always glad that I live in Australia, when it comes to weights and measurements, it makes maths in general very simple, and weights and measurements doubly so ;)

On the EDTA sidetopic:
You too, Figgy. Pretty please? o_O Exactly what I was hoping to prevent. :rolleyes:
You wrote a brief paragraph about EDTA here.

When I read first read your post, and dxw replied to it, it was much longer. You described how you, when you first started soaping in 2004, chose not to use EDTA after reading that it was "mildly toxic". You went on to comment that this forum was the only one where you'd seen it used.
Obviously I'm paraphrasing, as the original text has been removed (but I do distinctly remember the year, the reason and your comment on this forum).

I thought dxw's reply to your post was interesting and complimentary, and warranted further discussion, but on another thread, hence my lighthearted suggestion for that other thread (partially quoted by you, above). I see that after quoting me, you edited your original post to remove your reasons and discussion points, and replace the paragraph with a simple statement that you don't use EDTA. Fair enough (I don't either).

While I understand you want to change your mind, and not discuss this particular side topic any further, your original post gave no indication that you didn't want it discussed further. As it stands, I don't feel comfortable complying with your "request" to modify my contribution to your side-discussion, however I will respect your wishes and not refer to it again on this thread (unless you choose to do so yourself first, of course).

On the recipe (main) topic:
View attachment 34633... NOTE to others: I use pomace OO because it's highest in acidity which makes it better for soap than EVOO which is lowest in acidity (thus, it tastes better! :D ) -- plus, if imported, it may be "fake" or "adulterated". Google to learn more.

... Notes: I’ve tried 2:1 and 1.5:1. 1.5:1 gets almost too hard and 1:2 is okay but a bit slimey, so, for me, 1.7:1 is the ideal. Olive oil is high in unsaponifiables; so 0% SF works best to reduce slippery slime.[ ... ]

Kiwi ... To prevent ash, have you tried spritzing lightly with alcohol and covering it with Saran wrap?

Zany, I notice that you are using pomace olive oil for this recipe. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this means that you are using solvent extracted olive oil?
The reason for this question is that I have a theory that Kiwi (and Australians) are getting a bit of extra ash at the periphery of the soap because of the difference in our olive oils.

I am thinking that there might need to be an adjustment to the lye concentration, for our EVOO soaps using your recipe. If you've already explored this, please let us know your results.

Otherwise, especially for our NZ/Aussie EVOO soapers who are experiencing ash with Zany's recipe, I suspect that we may need to use a little less water than Zany has found ideal for her choice. The increase in lye concentration should slow down the transfer of salts to the outer edges of the soap (which can carry salts and create a dusting of "ash"), and with the difference in oils, I doubt we will experience quite the same hardness that Zany noticed with her oil choice.

In other words, using different grade of olive oil may require a minor adjustment to the lye ratio Zany has found ideal.

Zany, I hope that provided an agreeable on-topic addition to your recipe contribution. Send me a PM if you would like anything changed :)

I made a batch of Zany's faux-faux-seawater castile soap - I used actual seawater.
It feels lovely and handles well, and is entirely well behaved so far. I also took the opportunity to use a gift-mould from my son :)
Time will tell re soapiness behaviours I guess.
seawater castile snowflakes.jpg

View attachment 34828 And here is my (now remarkably blue) no-slime Castile with the soda ash. Still quite pretty though. And due to the type of mould I think I can get away with the soda ash adding an extra dimension.

Faded blue jeans ... the ash and colour are perfect together Kiwi!

What is ROE and EDTA?
ROE = rosemary oleoresin, extracted from rosemary and used as a natural preservative for oils.
EDTA = ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (if I copied the word from wikipedia right!), also used as a stabilizer (and a bunch of other uses, apparently).

The EDTA is Tetrasodium EDTA. It is used as a mineral chelator, prevention of DOS and soap scum.

@Zany_in_CO, I made your recipe yesterday, left it uncoloured and unscented. It came together beautifully, a gorgeous creamy white. This morning, I unmolded it; I'll cut it when I get home from work this evening. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your recipe. This may well be one that makes it into regular rotation.

@Zany_in_CO I also made your recipe just this morning. Also uncolored and unscented, this is the first 100% OO soap for me. I've tinkered with bastille. It is just beautiful, as Misschief said. Mine is still in the oven but I've checked it several times and it is doing great. Can't wait to unmold in the morning. Thank you so much.

@Zany_in_CO, I made a small batch of each recipe you shared. I kept them both uncoloured or fragranced. Now the wait, I am not always patient.

@SaltedFig I used EVOO and I didn't get any ash on my bars. They are crazy hard at only a few days old, lather really well too. I have to say, I'm impressed with these castile bars.

I doubt I will like castile any better though as I generally find it drying but I do plan on using the faux sea water with my regular recipe to see if it changes the lather.

@Obisidian yes, that's why I mentioned it was for Kiwi's and Aussies - our EVOO olive oil specifically. There's something different going on between the olive oils in our two countries (they don't seem to work quite the same in soap) - thanks for mentioning this tho - your comment does suggest that it might not be pomace dependant, but the oil itself (in general). I wonder if there's any other Aussie's/Kiwi's trying this? I've seen a few "local" soaps that have ashed up like Kiwi's (pretty as it is - I rather like the effect!).

I managed to make a really "good" slimey castile last year (accidentely, but worth it for what I learned) ... NOW I get why you all don't like the slime!

I hope you post the results of the Zany water soaps from your regular recipe trials :) - I'd be interested to hear how it goes!

Well, this soap is proving to be very popular! I, too, had to try it. As the others mentioned, the lye was very cloudy and seemed to have bits in it. I used it without straining. I unmoulded the soaps this morning - after less than 24 hours and they were already so hard that I had trouble stamping them. I attach a picture.
Also, I just tried washing my hands with them and there is definitely no slime, just a lot of lovely bubbles. Thank you again Zany!
Would you mind sharing your recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back