Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Zany_in_CO,

Do you think your magic trick will work on other high oleic oils such as almond oil? I made 100% AO batch once and it was slimy from the oleic and was very soft when it wore down small.

View attachment 34828 And here is my (now remarkably blue) no-slime Castile with the soda ash. Still quite pretty though. And due to the type of mould I think I can get away with the soda ash adding an extra dimension.

Only u could get away with making ash look good!

Whould u please report bk on the lather after full cure? Im curious to know how Zany’s recipie performs.

Thanks in advance.

This weekend, I'm going to give the faux sea water technique a try on:

80 AO
15 CB (to drop the linoleic and add a touch of hardness)
5 Castor

Last edited by a moderator:

80 AO
5 Castor
Let us know how it goes :) I'd like to know if it accelerates trace for you at all. The 100% OO stayed fluid for me. The one that had CO and castor and FO added moved faster, but not unworkably fast.

Let us know how it goes :) I'd like to know if it accelerates trace for you at all. The 100% OO stayed fluid for me. The one that had CO and castor and FO added moved faster, but not unworkably fast.

Will do!

If it comes out, I shall name it the ZanyFig bar cuz it uses @Zany_in_CO technique and is GMO/soy free per @SaltedFig.

Hopefully it will help with the winter itch. Even though my bars are very low in cleansing, my skin gets dry when the temp drops.

Hi @Zany_in_CO,

Do you think your magic trick will work on other high oleic oils such as almond oil? I made 100% AO batch once and it was slimy from the oleic and was very soft when it wore down small.
Hi Dean,
I made 100% almond oil liquid shampoo once and it turned out just fine... surprised me! LOL I know a "certain soaper" who says that almond oil can be subbed for 100% olive oil castile... so I'd give it a go but just try a small batch, maybe add a little coconut?

Can't wait to try this out @Zany_in_CO ! One of my favorite recipes at the moment is 92% olive, 5% Castor, 3% beeswax, a pinch of salt and wine in stead of water. It's slime free and has acceptable lather at 3-6months, but I feel your recipe might be more effective at producing a slime free/decent lather soap. Thanks for sharing!

80 AO
5 Castor

Unmolded my zoaps from silicone bout 24 hrs after pouring. WOW, never had bars come out this clean! My mold has sharp creases. Not a stick or nick. I guess its the salt? Never used it b4. Now we wait...

...and wait.

Last edited:
Zany,
Sodium bicarbonate is not the same as baking soda here in Australia. Are they in the US?

Baking soda has sodium bicarbonate and cream of tartar.
This might be causing a bit of confusion and differing results for some.

Zany,
Sodium bicarbonate is not the same as baking soda here in Australia. Are they in the US?

Baking soda has sodium bicarbonate and cream of tartar.
This might be causing a bit of confusion and differing results for some.
Our baking powder in NZ has cream of tartar, but our baking soda is pure bicarbonate soda.

80 AO
5 Castor

Lather tested per @Misschief with less than a week cure. A lil lather with some work. No slime. Will see if it gets “hairy” when damp and if lather improves with time. Stay tuned for updates.
upload_2019-1-17_6-57-40.jpeg

Lather tested per @Misschief with less than a week cured. A lil lather with some work. No slime. Will see if it gets “hairy” when damp and if lather improves with time. Stay tuned for updates.
upload_2019-1-17_6-57-40.jpeg

No hairiness either when damp. Initial conclusion: recipe is a success in terms of slime/hairiness elimination.

@Zany_in_CO, thanks for sharing. What effect does the baking soda have on the soap?

This thread has me thinking a lot about salt. Its a new frontier for me. @DeeAnna I read an old post of yours that said after a critical amount, salt softens soap. What would you say that threshold is? I didn't want to necropost so I am asking here.

I figured I have time to try this tonight... But realized the only salt I have on hand is one we don't know the origins of lol it was bought in the wet market so I cannot be sure it is sea salt, compared to the packet I have finished which was clearly labeled. This one isn't fine also, FYI.

Is this still OK to use in the same amount posted?

Also, I wanted to be the odd woman out and try to HP this but I have a question regarding the liquid amount. Will 1.7:1 be ok for HP? Or should I use slightly more water? I don't lift the lid often btw, just once to stir when 50% of it has gelled, and then when it's done.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions :)

No hairiness either when damp. Initial conclusion: recipe is a success in terms of slime/hairiness elimination.
Thanks for the update, Dean! Um, what is "hairiness"? o_O
@Zany_in_CO, thanks for sharing.
You're welcome.
What effect does the baking soda have on the soap?
See PJ's post #8.

...the only salt I have on hand is one we don't know the origins of... Is this still OK to use in the same amount posted?
Probably. I say, go for it -- and let us know how it turns out.
... try to HP this but I have a question regarding the liquid amount. Will 1.7:1 be ok for HP?
Good question, Dawni! I'm no expert on HP, so I'm not the best person to answer your question. Your call... I suggest you trust your own judgment. ;)

Thanks for the update, Dean! Um, what is "hairiness"? o_O

You're welcome.

See PJ's post #8.

^^^Thx.

When my high AO bars were dried to damp (not wet) the drying oleic snot would have this very unappealing hairy-sticky texture.

The bar is even better today! More lather. Makes my hands feel soft after. I’m excited to see how it matures. If I ever get off Fantasy Island and sell, I think this may be a good dry skin bar.

Next time I’ll try coloring it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back