Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

miheypete

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've made ZNSC about 4 times now, both CP and HP. I make it adding the coconut and castor oils. When I hot process in my crockpot, I always add about 1 oz more of faux seawater and 1 Tbs sodium lactate to 3 lbs. oil to keep it a little easier to stir. Zany's soap comes out fine in HP form. A little prettier loaf when I CP, but it's still just fine as HP soap. Good luck with it.

Juggsy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I did add a bit of sodium lactate at the end because I'm using cheap silicone moulds and HPing. I did add a little bit more water. I ran out of olive oil. Thought I had a little more than what I had - always forget it's heavier - I assumed I had about 850 - 900 grams - I had 684.8 grams; because of my size of mould holds 1.3kg (I underestimated) I added 171.2 grams of coconut oil - ended up being 80% OO and 20% CO - as I said I underestimated. My total batch weight was 1.2 kg. I didn't want to go less than 80% OO because I didn't want to add anything other than CO and 20% CO is kinda high. I would have added castor (but I'm waiting on an order - had hoped would arrive today before weekend - so of course it didn't).

It traced nicely, so issues with batch (other than being on the small size) looks good, still quite soft but it's only been a few hours out. I used some rosemary, rosewood and frankincense EO to scent - I wasn't going to scent at all - but changed my mind the last minute.

Child#3 Miss10 decided it needed flowers on top. So she added some jasmine (hope they don't discolour the soap - they shouldn't?)

@Zany_in_CO your formula is lovely. Faux sea water easy to make. Look forward to testing it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
@Zany_in_CO your formula is lovely. Faux sea water easy to make. Look forward to testing it.
Well done! And thank you!
TIP: In the future, it might be best to post your results in the Photo Gallery and link back to this thread, to share your experience with others and allow room for discussion. :thumbup: 😁

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Most of the time I use dual lye. Wondering if anyone has tried that? I'd like to give Zany's famous recipe a go.
Best to ask that in a new thread... more members likely will see it and you'll get more responses. ;)
As far as I know, no one has tried dual lye, not even me. Curious about it though. Please feel free to give if a go and start a new thread "ZNSC Dual Lye" or something along those lines. :thumbup:

Basil

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping you would pop in to take that question @Basil. View attachment 58074
I've never done it with fresh goats milk. 🙄
I've been out of the loop for awhile, @Zany_in_CO but I'm slowly returning. Yes, I LOVE your ZNSC with goat milk, and so do all my daughers, my mother, my sister and many of my friends. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with experimenting with other recipes. You nailed this!!!

Basil

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been out of the loop for awhile, @Zany_in_CO but I'm slowly returning. Yes, I LOVE your ZNSC with goat milk, and so do all my daughers, my mother, my sister and many of my friends. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with experimenting with other recipes. You nailed this!!!
Oh here I go again @Zany_in_CO responding to myself 😂. I have to add my DH to that as he’s a burn victim and it works for him! ❤

Bubble Agent

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this recipe, Zany, I want to try this one! 😊

It has been a long time since I made olive oil soap now, so I really feel an experiment coming on! I have spent the last coupple of years to finetune my recipes for my CPSR, so I haven`t done much experimenting or playing with other things. Now I have my CPRS, so this peaked my interest, with faux sea water no less, that was new to me!

So trying something different will be fun!

Will post pictures! I have some new and adorable silicone molds that would be perfect for this!

Marsi

Reaction score
Zany help! I waited too long to cut and it's crumbly! Can I rebatch????
Not Zany (answering your question on rebatching this crumbly soap)
You can rebatch any soap

this one will curdle quickly, similar to salting out

Last edited:

SOR Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
36 Oz water = 1000g water
The recipe requires 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of bicarb.

US tablespoon = 15ml (Australian tablespoon = 20ml)

So you made about 1/4 of the batch and used about 1/4 of the additives (give or take and in this situation that’s fine).

What might have impacted on you was if you mixed the salt into the lye water (very difficult) or if you miss measured the lye or water.
I hope someone else corrected this down the chain (still reading through the 35 pages of comments), but 32ozs of water weighs 907.2 grams, not 1000 grams…

SOR Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL "plain old olive oil" is just as good. It's the EVOO that is mostly adulterated here in the States.
@Zany, I appreciate the recipe. I produce olive oil here I CA and have been looking for a good recipe to use on my seasonal leftovers (perfectly good oil, just didn't get sold before the next season.) One reaction to your comments about oil… the adulteration risk comes from imported EVOO to the US (the Italian brands especially!) There are a considerable number of US producers where that is not a risk. Our challenge is making sure the US oil meets the EVOO standards and is not just VOO sold as EVOO. Check the label for either the CA Olive Oil Commission or Olive Oil Commission of CAfor the seals to validatecertifications.

You pointed out the lower acidity. Since I am using EVOO, what adjustments to the 1.7 ratio would you make?

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I hope someone else corrected this down the chain (still reading through the 35 pages of comments), but 32ozs of water weighs 907.2 grams, not 1000 grams…
You mis-read what you quoted:

36 Oz water = 1000g water
The recipe requires 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of bicarb.

US tablespoon = 15ml (Australian tablespoon = 20ml)

So you made about 1/4 of the batch and used about 1/4 of the additives (give or take and in this situation that’s fine).

What might have impacted on you was if you mixed the salt into the lye water (very difficult) or if you miss measured the lye or water.
@penelope said 36 ounces, not 32 ounces.

Also, please note that she is in Austrailia where a conversion of fluid ounces to the Australian cup is 250 ml =

If you want to be precise, I get 1020.58 grams, but 1000 grams is close, and to throw a monkey into the works, as I recall there are some differences in how much is in an Imperial (or Troy) Ounce versus the ounce used in the US. (I know, that's probably not helpful.)

Just as a point of reference, there IS a difference in volume measurements in different parts of the world, which is another reason they should not be used in soapmaking.

Reference: Imperial and U.S. Systems of Measurement – Basic Kitchen and Food Service Management

SOR Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great recipe! I made it last night and it worked like a dream. It set very quickly (~18 hours) and has a very nice lather. I started to blend at a little higher temperature (~124 degrees F/51 degrees C) as that seems to work better with my oils. As seen in the picture, it is a nice creamy yellow-tan color.

image.jpg