Zany's no slime castile

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Albertina

Reaction score
I posted in the other thread but will confirm here, as well. I started testing one of the bars at 9 days after unmolding, and it is lovely! It's the first castile/bastille soap that I have ever liked. I believe it's the combination of a bit of CO, GM and sorbitol for great lather, as well as the salt to combat the slime/snot. My bars have absolutely zero slime despite our water (which used to be pretty decent but is now a bit harder and much more chlorinated).
Hello Ali,
How did you make your recipe with both faux sea, GM and sorbitol, do you mind posting it? Or linking me to it?

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Hello Zany,
Sorry to ask. I am Italian, could you please say what a quart amounts to? I searched on the internet and I got too many different results. Thank you
1 QUART (32 oz.) = 1 LITER (approximately) (33.8 ounces)

Last edited:

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Ali,
How did you make your recipe with both faux sea, GM and sorbitol, do you mind posting it? Or linking me to it?
Hello Albertina, I used the recipe from the first post in this thread. She explains how to make the faux seawater there. My additives were 1% sorbitol and 1tablespoon of powdered goat milk per 500g of oil. I stick-blended the powder into the oils before adding the lye water.

Albertina

Reaction score
Hello Albertina, I used the recipe from the first post in this thread. She explains how to make the faux seawater there. My additives were 1% sorbitol and 1tablespoon of powdered goat milk per 500g of oil. I stick-blended the powder into the oils before adding the lye water.
Thank you very much

Fenchurch

Reaction score
It is interesting that the original recipes called for using natural seawater. I would imagine that the natural presence of Ca and Mg, which make up the components of "hard water" and bind to soap molecules making soap less effective, are in effect probably working against the "slimey" properties of castile type soaps right in the bar.
Well, I guess it's also because Marseilles, were Castille soap originally comes from, is on the seaside, so they could have water (even if sea water) for free. 😅😆

Happy Bubbles,
Stéphanie

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm really struggling tonight trying to get Zany's recipe into the SMF calculator. Is this correct? I appreciate the help. Just a rough night here with grumpy teenager and hubby.
If you look back at post # 1. Zany's recipe is 100% olive oil (no castor) and has a SF of 0% (Zero). That's the first thing I notice that is different from what you have entered. Although she does later in the post, suggest 5% Castor & 10% CO for a "bubblier & milder" soap.

The other thing you can do, but don't have to so, is to input the additives: salt & Sodium Bicarbonate. If you input them, they will show in your list of ingredients.

n.b. First you would need to add the Sodium Bicarb as a custom additive to the list of additives.

ETA:

Just an FYI (Please don't be offended): You're new to SMF so you probably aren't aware that there is a separate forum for help with a recipe: RECIPE FEEDBACK FORUM <snip>
1619279446261.png

If it isn't too much trouble, you too! 🥰
View attachment 56454
ETA: The Edit Button is only available for 24 hours.

Will do if and when.

Actually the edit button does not always appear to be a specific length of time. For some odd reason, I have found it to vary in how long it is available, for me, anyway.

@AAShillito , you don't actually have "delete" option, but you can remove (delete) all your words and replace with a new word or words, using the "edit" radio button in the lower left of your post.

If you do want to start a new thread as Zany suggests, make sure to copy and paste from the above post, otherwise you will be having to start from scratch with a new post. Your choice.

Last edited:

AAShillito

Reaction score
If you look back at post # 1. Zany's recipe is 100% olive oil (no castor) and has a SF of 0% (Zero). That's the first thing I notice that is different from what you have entered. Although she does later in the post, suggest 5% Castor & 10% CO for a "bubblier & milder" soap.

The other thing you can do, but don't have to so, is to input the additives: salt & Sodium Bicarbonate. If you input them, they will show in your list of ingredients.

n.b. First you would need to add the Sodium Bicarb as a custom additive to the list of additives.
So all I need to do is change the oo to 100% and add the additives? Thanks. I needed that! I think the original percentages were throwing me off as I didn't see oo amounts

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
I'm really struggling tonight trying to get Zany's recipe into the SMF calculator. Is this correct?
Just an FYI (Please don't be offended): You're new to SMF so you probably aren't aware that there is a separate forum for help with a recipe:

RECIPE FEEDBACK FORUM

There are two reasons for this:
1) You are likely to get more responses by starting a new thread. :thumbs:
2) Your query invites what is likely to develop into an OT (Off Topic) discussion. This is considered a "Hijack". Although hijacks are fairly common, it is still considered rude by some members who would prefer to keep their threads to the least number of pages as possible. Currently at 33 pages, it's a lot for first timers like yourself to slog through.

If it isn't too much trouble, you can use the EDIT button to delete your post and move it to where it belongs.

If it isn't too much trouble, you too! 🥰

Thank You.gif

ETA: The Edit Button is only available for 24 hours.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Actually the edit button does not always appear to be a specific length of time. For some odd reason, I have found it to vary in how long it is available, for me, anyway.
I wish that were true for me.
I planned on deleting my post this AM but forgot! 🤪
Now my edit button is gone.
Thanks just the same, Earlene. I appreciate your taking the time to at least make the effort, also for your help and support. :thumbs:

Latest posts