Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally made this Castille! And, it's very weird, I have to say. Covered with plastic wrap (I usually don't) and piled a towel on top. In 12 hours, it looked and felt like mozarella cheese! It had a firm skin on it but was quite liquidy underneath, I realised. When I went to clean up the SB from last night, it was still at the medium trace as when I poured it!
So I'm going to leave it alone for a while, but I'm still really surprised: in the 25-30 batches I've made, I've never had anything quite like this! Especially since Zany's original message was so hopeful about unmolding at 12-24 hours!
Any thoughts?

ETA: Actually, it's maybe more like brie or camembert, with the firm part on top and the goopy part underneath :p

Attachments

• castille.png
    castille.png
    602.7 KB · Views: 26
I finally made this Castille! And, it's very weird, I have to say. Covered with plastic wrap (I usually don't) and piled a towel on top. In 12 hours, it looked and felt like mozarella cheese! It had a firm skin on it but was quite liquidy underneath, I realised. When I went to clean up the SB from last night, it was still at the medium trace as when I poured it!
So I'm going to leave it alone for a while, but I'm still really surprised: in the 25-30 batches I've made, I've never had anything quite like this! Especially since Zany's original message was so hopeful about unmolding at 12-24 hours!
Any thoughts?

ETA: Actually, it's maybe more like brie or camembert, with the firm part on top and the goopy part underneath :p
Hmmm - I have no idea. Did you use the 100% OO option? I usually do 10 CO and 5 Castor in mine. Maybe check the metric conversion of the quart - I think there are two types?

I finally made this Castille! And, it's very weird, I have to say.
Any thoughts?
Hmmm. Hard to say. Did you add anything extra? Maybe double check the recipe to make sure you didn't miss anything. The only other thing I can think of would be adulterated olive oil?

Any thoughts?

Hm, have you ever rebatched? Looks to me like you are going to have to. Probably you didn't stick blend enough. I think we all get so used to only stick blending for a few seconds because most recipes trace fairly quickly. Not high olive oils soap - I have made this recipe at least 20 times now (I really love it) and you do need to stick blend for quite a while. I would give it a little more time - maybe it'll set up more. Otherwise, scoop it into a pot (I rebatch on my stovetop) melt it all down, add a tablespoon of yogurt and pour into your mold. The other thing I would do is check your scale, a nickel weighs 5 grams - perhaps your battery is low? And maybe your measurements are off?

Any thoughts?

Hello!
I also made this for the first time on Friday, and when I checked it Saturday, I had the same result. You gave a perfect description-like Brie cheese. I will check it later when I get home today. I’m interested in hearing how yours turns out

@Zany_in_CO - this might be totally off the wall, but here goes...

I came across a bit of information today (attachment) that has me thinking again about the sodium bicarbonate in the faux seawater. As explained below, sodium carbonate is used to soften water, which it does by causing calcium and magnesium to precipitate out of the water. I wonder if the sodium bicarbonate in the faux seawater could lead to the same reaction, with any available magnesium and calcium (from the sea salt) forming the insoluble precipitates that some of us have seen. If that bit of chemistry can happen then the sodium bicarbonate may ultimately be acting as a water softener. I also can’t help but wonder if that somehow influences/leads to the “no slime” result.

Just some almost random thoughts for the day!
http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/11/Water-Hardness-Reading.pdf

View attachment 42259
And soda ash (which sometimes forms on the tops of our soaps is sodium carbonate. It's a chemical reaction between the Sodium Hydroxide (lye) and the air (carbon dioxide). When I make this particular soap (with the faux seawater) - I don't ever get any soda ash.

Interesting info thanks! As it happens, I've been on a bit of a soaping blitz (5 batches in 5 days) and everything else has been going just as usual: OO good, scale good, technique good.

I don't think the quart would make a difference, since you just use the quart measurement to make the faux seawater and then weigh the water from there.

I didn't add anything at all, not even fragrance or colour; nothing extra to the lye water. A very very pure batch!

The not SBing enough is the only thing I that makes sense....I did pay more attention to temps than usual since this was a new recipe (hence also covering with plastic wrap--I was by the book!) and I did SB for 5 or more minutes, which, you're right @linne1gi , is much longer than I usually have to (keeping in mind that Zany did warn 5-20 min). Recipe says to SB to emulsion and I was definitely past that....I was at light trace with a thick pudding, if that makes sense. The trace left behind by droplets was light, but the batter was thick.

And @Dru B. , you had the same result, just days ago?? So weird....

I've never rebatched before...guess that could be my December Challenge if I do it tonight :p. But, @linne1gi , you suggested leaving it a while longer...how long, do you think?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I suggested waiting to see if it finally sets up and actually looks like soap. If it does then you are good to go. I didn't ask, but what was your water amount like? I generally use a 33% lye solution or a 2:1 ratio. If it is still weird looking you can rebatch at any time - actually the sooner the better.

I made a batch today (100% OO) with 2% orange wax to add a bit of oomph to the citrusy lavender EO blend I used. Orange wax always accelerates trace on me and today was no exception. I was at light trace in just a few minutes. The batter was a pretty yellow color that I hope holds up in the final soap. I’ve had good luck with the orange scent sticking for more than a few months when I use orange wax.

ETA: I’ve made the recipe 3x before, without orange wax, and with no issues except that it took more like 15-20 minutes to come to trace using 37% lye concentration. @MGM have you made high OO soap recipes before? To me they seem very different in texture compared with recipes that are based on palm, lard, tallow or butters. Your pudding comment made me remember that I was surprised by the difference when I first started making this recipe and some other high OO recipes after working mostly with lard and palm-based recipes.

Last edited:
I made a batch today (100% OO) with 2% orange wax to add a bit of oomph to the citrusy lavender EO blend I used. Orange wax always accelerates trace on me and today was no exception. I was at light trace in just a few minutes. The batter was a pretty yellow color that I hope holds up in the final soap. I’ve had good luck with the orange scent sticking for more than a few months when I use orange wax.

ETA: I’ve made the recipe 3x before, without orange wax, and with no issues except that it took more like 15-20 minutes to come to trace using 37% lye concentration. @MGM have you made high OO soap recipes before? To me they seem very different in texture compared with recipes that are based on palm, lard, tallow or butters. Your pudding comment made me remember that I was surprised by the difference when I first started making this recipe and some other high OO recipes after working mostly with lard and palm-based recipes.
@Mobjack Bay, Where do you purchase your orange wax? And is the 2% subtracted from your total oils, or is it used like an essential oil and added to 100% oils? Thanks

@Mobjack Bay, Where do you purchase your orange wax? And is the 2% subtracted from your total oils, or is it used like an essential oil and added to 100% oils? Thanks

I bought it on Amazon (Dr. Adorable brand). For this soap I did not adjust the lye, due to being lazy, which is fine because the recipe is nominally 0% SF and I was fine with the small amount of additional SF from the wax. In other cases, I’ve used lanolin as a proxy in the calculator as explained here. One of the references I linked in my first post on that thread suggested that max. usage of non-triglyceride waxes [such as lanolin, beeswax and orange wax, which are all high in unsaponifiables] should be 1.5%. I’ve used orange wax at up to 3% and another member has gone higher, with success. It accelerates for sure and you also need to be wary of false trace, but it’s workable. There’s also the potential issue of photo sensitizing as there would be with most of the citrus EOs, but I’m not concerned about that in my soap. I hope the thread I linked will prove useful if you decide to give it a try :).

I bought it on Amazon (Dr. Adorable brand). For this soap I did not adjust the lye, due to being lazy, which is fine because the recipe is nominally 0% SF and I was fine with the small amount of additional SF from the wax. In other cases, I’ve used lanolin as a proxy in the calculator as explained here. One of the references I linked in my first post on that thread suggested that max. usage of non-triglyceride waxes [such as lanolin, beeswax and orange wax, which are all high in unsaponifiables] should be 1.5%. I’ve used orange wax at up to 3% and another member has gone higher, with success. It accelerates for sure and you also need to be wary of false trace, but it’s workable. There’s also the potential issue of photo sensitizing as there would be with most of the citrus EOs, but I’m not concerned about that in my soap. I hope the thread I linked will prove useful if you decide to give it a try :).
Thanks so much for your reply! Very good information! I love an orange scent in soap so I might give this a try.

The different results for different people is so interesting.

What kind of salt specifically is everyone using? I think even labeled "sea salt" can vary widely. Maybe it's a trace mineral hindering it setting up?

The different results for different people is so interesting.

What kind of salt specifically is everyone using? I think even labeled "sea salt" can vary widely. Maybe it's a trace mineral hindering it setting up?
Sea Salt has many minerals in it - that’s what gives it the excellent properties!

I tried using a little sea salt in my lye water, but I always seem to get some sort of precipitate in it. The salt dissolves just fine, but when I add the lye, I get some really tiny white flakes. Has anyone else had this? Does anyone know what this is? I don't like the idea of it going into my soap and would like to prevent it.

I tried using a little sea salt in my lye water, but I always seem to get some sort of precipitate in it. The salt dissolves just fine, but when I add the lye, I get some really tiny white flakes. Has anyone else had this? Does anyone know what this is? I don't like the idea of it going into my soap and would like to prevent it.

Yes, I strain it and the soap ends up just fine.

It's likely sodium carbonate from the lye sitting to cool exposed to the air. I get some if I don't cover my container. Just be sure to dissolve the salt well before adding your lye.

I don't strain mine just pour it in. It will work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back