Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you, Fiut, but I admire your persistence! Go for it, lady!

I'm math challenged and short on the science of soapmaking, so I'm not much help. However, to attract more members to your unique challenge, I urge you to post your recipe on the Recipe Feedback forum. ( Include a link back to this thread so they know where you're coming from):
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/forums/recipe-feedback.34/

PS: DON'T pitch the failed batch... once we have more details, someone might come to the rescue and figure out a way to save it.

Oh I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you, Fiut, but I admire your persistence! Go for it, lady!

I'm math challenged and short on the science of soapmaking, so I'm not much help. However, to attract more members to your unique challenge, I urge you to post your recipe on the Recipe Feedback forum. ( Include a link back to this thread so they know where you're coming from):
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/forums/recipe-feedback.34/

PS: DON'T pitch the failed batch... once we have more details, someone might come to the rescue and figure out a way to save it.
Thank you very much for this reply! I'll definitely try this. Just took a pic of today's look of this sh#t and going to post it in a new thread. :)

Couldn't find if anyone had already mentioned it on this thread yet, but this recipe (the coconut+castor +sodium lactate version) makes a real nice shampoo, I have flakey patches of skin but oily patches as well. I had the least itching and flakes I've had in years!!

Couldn't find if anyone had already mentioned it on this thread yet, but this recipe (the coconut+castor +sodium lactate version) makes a real nice shampoo, I have flakey patches of skin but oily patches as well. I had the least itching and flakes I've had in years!!

Oooh, really? I recently did a big chop on my hair and now I'm considering shampoo bars. I have a batch of semi-Castile (ran short on OO and had to use a bit of grapeseed oil) with kaolin and lavender EO aging now, but perhaps I'll have to try that too!

:thumbs::thumbs: Hopefully, you do not have bad results using soap for your hair. The ph of soap is really not good for hair. Of course, there is a camp here that believes in using soap for hair. It is not shampoo, shampoo is a syndet product.
I'm in that camp. ;) This lovely little soap makes excellent lather for those of us who like a hair and body shampoo bar. Quite mild and leaves the skin feeling nice, not tight. I like to finish with an ACV rinse -- 1 tablespoon in 16 oz. water -- to remove excess soap residue from the hair and restore the acid mantle of the scalp. ;)

I'm with JoeyJ. I have oily hair but it would flake off. Read an article about not using shampoo and started with baking soda to scrub my scalp with an ACV rinse. It left my hair very dry, so just tried my soaps on my hair and have had no problem. I can't even tell the difference with ACV or no ACV. That's been about 15 years ago. But I have always had very fine hair (getting even finer as I age, but that's probably genetic) and washing with soap actually gives it a little extra body. Need to try Zany's recipe...another one for my Soaping Bucket List...which is getting longer every day that I read this forum!

I love this recipe, it came out perfect! It was almost too hard to cut at 20 hours! I did a small test and no slime. My ratios were 1.7:1 and 2% superfat.

20191007_213951.jpg
20191007_215539.jpg

I am in this camp as well! My hair is due for an extreme cut, I am sitting on it, so it is time for the Length to be sent off to the wig makers at Pantine Lovely Locks.

So like I said, I just did a big chop... 18 inches to be exact! And I'd read a while back that Pantene sells some donated hair, so I googled. Apparently they aren't accepting hair at all anymore because synthetics are cheaper! :eek: https://pantene.com/en-us/beautiful-lengths

I'm planning to donate my braids to Wigs For Kids because they're still doing natural hair wigs, and because children with alopecia make me terribly sad. :(

The reason I'm saying it's the olive oil is, the Castiles I made without the bicarb feel similar, although those are younger soap. It either means my skin just doesn't like olive oil, or it means it will like it but only after a longer cure.

That being said, my notes say that while none of the pure olive oil soaps I've made have slime, the one using Zany's recipe trumped the other two on lather, and it was harder faster but the others are catching up.
So this soap is nearing its 9 month mark. I sent the whole batch, bar two pieces, with my dad. One of my pieces has been cut several times over and I've tested it over the last few months. One piece is my souvenir piece lol

Anyway.. I got to try the soap with dad. He had just taken a bar to the shower a few days before I tried it. It's very hard, it lathers beautifully in his tap water (treated seawater), and has no sign of snotty slime.

On the other hand, my close to 7 months Castile, even with the amount of salt I used, is still snotty. I had also initially thought it was catching up quickly to Zany's one in terms of lather and hardness, but either I thought wrong or it has slowed down.

So like I said, I just did a big chop... 18 inches to be exact! And I'd read a while back that Pantene sells some donated hair, so I googled. Apparently they aren't accepting hair at all anymore because synthetics are cheaper! :eek: https://pantene.com/en-us/beautiful-lengths

I'm planning to donate my braids to Wigs For Kids because they're still doing natural hair wigs, and because children with alopecia make me terribly sad. :(

Wow, thank you for the heads up! I am sure there is a place pout there that will take my hair. I have never colored it and I have very strong hair.

Just reporting that I've tried this recipe both got and cold process. I like them both, but prefer cold process. Seriously, zero slime! Very mild.

I got a tiny bit of slime with hot process. YMMV with your cooking procedure. Still very enjoyable.

Last edited:
Wow, thank you for the heads up! I am sure there is a place pout there that will take my hair. I have never colored it and I have very strong hair.

Same here! I'm Native American, so my hair is very straight, nearly black, and won't take dye without a lot of extra time, effort, and dye. Okay, it also doesn't style easily at all because it's so heavy. I'm pretty sure it will make someone a very sturdy wig. :D

@Zany_in_CO - this might be totally off the wall, but here goes...

I came across a bit of information today (attachment) that has me thinking again about the sodium bicarbonate in the faux seawater. As explained below, sodium carbonate is used to soften water, which it does by causing calcium and magnesium to precipitate out of the water. I wonder if the sodium bicarbonate in the faux seawater could lead to the same reaction, with any available magnesium and calcium (from the sea salt) forming the insoluble precipitates that some of us have seen. If that bit of chemistry can happen then the sodium bicarbonate may ultimately be acting as a water softener. I also can’t help but wonder if that somehow influences/leads to the “no slime” result.

Just some almost random thoughts for the day!
http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/11/Water-Hardness-Reading.pdf
http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/11/Water-Hardness-Reading.pdf

0B312D50-2B54-4AE2-89BD-126BB02A8781.jpeg

Just attempted this recipe today (as my second cold process soap). I had a lot of non-dissolving precipitant. Thought maybe water was saturated.
Filtered solution (coffee filter) and end result had MORE inclusions.

Was not certain how much was NaOH, so dumped solution and started with just distilled water and NaOH.

Came to ask about the precipitant.. maybe I did something wrong.....

Nope. Just chemistry. This batch is almost done gelling in the oven.
Will teach me to not read to the end of a thread!

Will give this another go next week end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back