Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are gorgeous @linne1gi! I love the the simple swirls and great colors.
I hot-processed this today. Thanks so much, Zany! My family imports olive oil. I am so happy to finally make a nice soap with it that isn't slimy!
Update us after it cures.. I'm curious.. I also HPed mine but while it wasn't slimey even in the beginning, it didn't lather much either though its improved now.

Those are gorgeous @linne1gi! I love the the simple swirls and great colors.

Update us after it cures.. I'm curious.. I also HPed mine but while it wasn't slimey even in the beginning, it didn't lather much either though its improved now.
It’s a rather soft soap at least right now. But it’s only a week old so I know it needs more time. The swirl is my favorite, in the pot swirl.

I love Zany's no-slime Castile! Thanks again, Zany. This was my second time using the no-slime recipe. I made a small batch with 500 g of oil, 80% OO, 15% CO and 5% castor. (I know, this is a tiny bit higher in CO than Zany's recipe, but since the olive oil was still so high, I thought the faux seawater still made sense.)

I made half the batch as Lemon Poppy Scrub - scented with lemon and litsea EOs - and half the batch scented with a lavender, orange, patchouli EO blend.

After a four-week cure, the soap is wonderful with a clean, delicate lather. No slime!

Attachments

• 8th batch - Lemon poppy.jpg
    8th batch - Lemon poppy.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 8th batch - Orange, lavender, patchouli.jpg
    8th batch - Orange, lavender, patchouli.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 67
I love Zany's no-slime Castile! Thanks again, Zany. This was my second time using the no-slime recipe. I made a small batch with 500 g of oil, 80% OO, 15% CO and 5% castor. (I know, this is a tiny bit higher in CO than Zany's recipe, but since the olive oil was still so high, I thought the faux seawater still made sense.)

I made half the batch as Lemon Poppy Scrub - scented with lemon and litsea EOs - and half the batch scented with a lavender, orange, patchouli EO blend.

After a four-week cure, the soap is wonderful with a clean, delicate lather. No slime!
These are lovely looking soaps and both of the EO blends sound nice. :)

P.S. if you don’t mind sharing, did you use individual square molds? and if so, where did you get them? Thanks!
I bought them online at Ali Express. Here's a link to see what they look like. Lots of sellers have them on offer (I don't remember which seller I used. I suggest reading the reviews to see if shipping was quick, etc.) I am still a newbie and make small batches, so these are perfect for me. Also, I can't cut straight, so loaf molds are less ideal - until I decide to invest in something that cuts better than I do! ;)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_9,searchweb201603_53

I bought them online at Ali Express. Here's a link to see what they look like. Lots of sellers have them on offer (I don't remember which seller I used. I suggest reading the reviews to see if shipping was quick, etc.) I am still a newbie and make small batches, so these are perfect for me. Also, I can't cut straight, so loaf molds are less ideal - until I decide to invest in something that cuts better than I do! ;)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32991094148.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.31274c71O9Dwxs&algo_pvid=bb349f67-7586-4cd3-84f2-92ef751c771c&algo_expid=bb349f67-7586-4cd3-84f2-92ef751c771c-35&btsid=39260edb-11ee-4a9d-941b-71e91f4816f2&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_9,searchweb201603_53
Thank you!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32991094148.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.31274c71O9Dwxs&algo_pvid=bb349f67-7586-4cd3-84f2-92ef751c771c&algo_expid=bb349f67-7586-4cd3-84f2-92ef751c771c-35&btsid=39260edb-11ee-4a9d-941b-71e91f4816f2&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_9,searchweb201603_53
Haha I have a real problem cutting straight, too.

This is a tried and true recipe that I've made several times. Others have tried it with excellent results. Be sure to keep the bar high and dry between uses by using a soap-saver-type soap dish. Tweak to your heart's delight! (Like, do I even need to say that?! :D)

ZANY’S NO SLIME OLIVE OIL CASTILE
Ingredients: Olive oil, water, sea salt, sodium bicarbonate.

1) MAKE FAUX SEAWATER - Use for water portion of the lye solution.
1 quart warm water
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)

I make up a quart at a time and store it in the fridge until I need it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2) MAKE LYE SOLUTION - Mix and allow to cool to 35°C - 40°C (100°F - 110°F).
1.7:1 Water to Lye Ratio (Note decimal and colon)
0% Super Fat/Lye Discount

Notes: I’ve tried 2:1 and 1.5:1. 1.5:1 gets almost too hard and 1:2 is okay but a bit slimey, so, for me, 1.7:1 is the ideal. Olive oil is high in unsaponifiables; so 0% SF works best to reduce slippery slime.

How much oil is in this mix, if it is stated in the formula - I can't understand it.
Prepare lye solution and set it in the sink to cool. Weigh olive oil into soap pot. Warm to 35°C - 40°C (100°F - 110°F). Combine when lye and oils are within -12°C (10°F) of each other. SB on and off to emulsion stage (5 - 25 minutes, depending on grade of olive oil.) Slowly pour into mold. Tap to remove bubbles. Spritz lightly with alcohol. Cover with plastic wrap. Insulate. Leave soap undisturbed for 12-24 hours.
UNMOLD in 12-24 hours
CUT Day 2
CURE Ready to ship in 2 weeks. 6 weeks is best. The longer the cure the better the soap.
Unscented, this soap is suitable for babies, sensitive skin, and for cancer patients undergoing radiation. Add 5% castor oil and 10% coconut oil for bubbles and an even milder soap.

If adding fragrance, add 0.85 oz. FO or 0.5% EO /PPO (Per 500 grams) to the castor oil an hour or so ahead of time (or overnight) and a teaspoon PPO of dry ingredient of choice -- corn starch, oat flour, arrowroot powder, White Kaolin Clay, etc. -- to help “stick” the fragrance.

VARIATIONS: Infuse Calendula Petals (yellow) or Bay Leaves (green) in oil ahead of time. Strain. Use up to 40% in the batch to add mildness and color.

Hi Zsny! In the original post you mention that the water lye ratio had an effect with the slime, why is that?

If I were to soap this with 1:1 water lye ratio, do you think it would it get slimier?

I made a castile bar two months ago, without salt and baking soda, and indeed it was slimy. But I'm hoping as I cure it more the slime will be gone.

Also the cure time is much shorter than what I've seen, is this because of the salt and soda?

Sorry if this was asked before, couldn't read all the pages. Thanks!

Hi Rahmi! The key to reducing slime is the 0% superfat. Olive Oil contains "unsaponifiables" that remain after saponification, so my intent in using 0% SF was to saponify as much of the oil as possible.

The 1.7:1 water to lye ratio is where I ended up after trying other options. You want enough water to react with the lye but not so much that it increases cure time.

The salt & soda affect a shorter cure time and a harder bar.

No apologies necessary... I hear ya! LOL I also get impatient slogging through threads like this that are so long. BUT, that being said, there's lots of good information worth a read when you have time. ;)

Popping in with the 2+ week update on my first batch of Zany’s no slime Castile. I LOVE it. It makes a creamy lather that builds into a bubbly lather with a little extra water. This is the most gentle soap I’ve made. It left my hands feeling soft and more “moisturized” than any soap I’ve made to date. Time for another batch!

It’s a rather soft soap at least right now. But it’s only a week old so I know it needs more time. The swirl is my favorite, in the pot swirl.
So, my soap is almost 1 month now and it’s still pretty soft. At least in comparison to my other month old soaps. I’m giving it more time.

Mine are upwards of 5 months old and still snooty with zip lather. :( So apparently they are still going to have to cure for the rest of the year
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that, Carolyn. Any idea what went wrong? It sounds like "normal" castile. I'm wondering if you used 5% SF instead of 0%? Easy mistake to make.
So, my soap is almost 1 month now and it’s still pretty soft. At least in comparison to my other month old soaps. I’m giving it more time.
Hmmm. It shouldn't be soft at 1 month -- have you tried it? How's the lather? Slime or no slime?

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that, Carolyn. Any idea what went wrong? It sounds like "normal" castile. I'm wondering if you used 5% SF instead of 0%? Easy mistake to make.

Hmmm. It shouldn't be soft at 1 month -- have you tried it? How's the lather? Slime or no slime?
No, I haven’t tried it yet, maybe at the 8 week mark.

Not sure, nope 0% superfat. I never superfat at 5% unless making salt bars. My normal superfat is 2%. I will mention it is hard as a rock.

My second batch I made circa 8 weeks ago are kickin' it! I use the 10% CO and 5% castor version, and this time did 0% super fat and the lather is fantastico! Instead of using 'faux' seawater I used real seawater though - just coz I had it in the freezer.
:)

I keep meaning to ask if my friend who does research in Antarctica has any water saved from her last research cruise. I doubt there’s any cleaner salt water on the planet and the “label appeal” would be through the roof with my oceanography buddies :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back