Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Zany_in_CO, thank you very much for sharing your no-slime castile recipe! I've made a batch of it a couple of months ago and I like it very much! I have found that the warmer the water, the more lather and bubbles. In the shower, I use a nylon towel to wash my body and with that and warm water, the soap lathers very well and creates copious bubbles. It's surprisingly quite cleansing, too and removes my waterproof mascara pretty well when I use it to wash my face. The soap is very hard and long-lasting, too. Even with the nylon towel, it lasted for more than a month in the shower and stayed hard until the very end even when it became paper-thin.

Now I would like to try making some variations of it using the faux sea water, olive oil, coconut oil and castor oil and I am wondering if those of you who have made variations of it had kept the zero superfat as in Zany’s original recipe or increased it because of other oils added. Your advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!
I actually did increase the super fat a tad because of using the 10%CO and 5% castor, but I wish I hadn't. This time I will do exactly as prescribed.

That looks just beautiful! Love your scent combo. I was just sitting here pondering making another batch of Zany's recipe today, but with my real sea water. I was thinking maybe lemongrass and lemon EOs, and leaving it uncoloured.
Thanks, KiwiMoose! I forgot to mention I used Bramble Berry Evergreen Mica. I stirred one teaspoon into the castor oil before adding to the rest of my oils. It was my first time using mica, and that method worked well.
Lemon-lemongrass sounds lovely! If I don't color my OO soap, it comes out a very light yellow. That color would go really well with a lemony scent. (I see others get a whiter soap with OO, but I guess it depends on the OO variety, etc.)

Thanks, KiwiMoose! I forgot to mention I used Bramble Berry Evergreen Mica. I stirred one teaspoon into the castor oil before adding to the rest of my oils. It was my first time using mica, and that method worked well.
Lemon-lemongrass sounds lovely! If I don't color my OO soap, it comes out a very light yellow. That color would go really well with a lemony scent. (I see others get a whiter soap with OO, but I guess it depends on the OO variety, etc.)
Yes - I always buy OO that is as pale as possible in colour to avoid having soap that is too 'yellow.
I made my soap! Here it is:
IMG_1025.JPG IMG_1024.JPG
I used 50% lemongrass EO, 25% lemon EO and 25% May Chang EO ( a total of 2% to keep it subtle)

Nice naturally light soap! And I love that EO blend! I'd love to know if it "sticks". Please keep us posted.

I forgot to mention that I used a 5% superfat. I know that recipe calls for 0%, but I'm a new soaper and feel I still need that buffer (even though I measure the lye very carefully). I also don't mind the sliminess as much as other people. I call it creaminess. :))

That looks just beautiful! Love your scent combo. I was just sitting here pondering making another batch of Zany's recipe today, but with my real sea water. I was thinking maybe lemongrass and lemon EOs, and leaving it uncoloured.

Do you sanitise or filter your sea water beforehand? I'm curious because I live right on the beach but everyday on my walks I fill a bag with plastic waste :( I've often thought the sea water and sea weed would be a great resource though...

Do you sanitise or filter your sea water beforehand? I'm curious because I live right on the beach but everyday on my walks I fill a bag with plastic waste :( I've often thought the sea water and sea weed would be a great resource though...

Fiona, I have a lot of sea weed I collected from the Pacific Ocean. I use it for cooking.

You might find these interesting:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/w...ntal-assessment-environmental-report/pages/4/

http://monicawilde.com/seaweed-harvesting/

Fiona, I have a lot of sea weed I collected from the Pacific Ocean. I use it for cooking.

You might find these interesting:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/w...ntal-assessment-environmental-report/pages/4/

http://monicawilde.com/seaweed-harvesting/

Thank You Earlene, I've just made a coffee and will settle down to read through these! There are a couple of new small businesses in my area who are harvesting sea weed and I love the smokey taste it brings to cooking:). One of the guys offered me some of the powder that lies at the bottom of their drying trays to add to soap but I'm too much a newbie to take him up on this just yet.

...One of the guys offered me some of the powder that lies at the bottom of their drying trays to add to soap but I'm too much a newbie to take him up on this just yet.
Um, powdered seaweed lasts for yonks! Take it! Jar it up! Put some in your moisturizer! Add it to water, yogurt, milk, honey, etc. for a face mask! Caution... I should probably mention, it's most likely uber odoriferous. o_O

I generally tend to use a low SF when I use less coconut oil, so personally, for Zany's recipe with only 10% coconut and 5% castor I didn't up my superfat. When I tried the faux seawater in other high oleic recipes, I still superfatted according to my coconut oil amount, which I think 15% was max, so my SF was only around 2-3%.

I sent a whole loaf of this with my dad with instructions to let it cure a minimum 4wks. That point was in February, and now we're in the middle of May and he's on his third bar and he loves it. I have yet to get a detailed review though, coz he only gives me vague answers when I ask about slime, lather, etc..

Thank you, Dawni! Maybe I will try making one batch with 0%SF and another one with 2%SF and see if they come out differently :)

I've read somewhere that by switching out 5% of your NaOH for KOH, you can cut down the slime on Castille soap. I've never even made Castile soap but something I've thought of making.

Has anyone tried this?

Thank you for sharing this! I have been wanting to make some Castille soap but when I made it before it took forever to cure and harden... Can't wait to try this!

So, I tried Zany’s no-slime Castile recipe yesterday. It was amazing. I was able to cut my soap within 5 hours. I’m really looking forward to trying it out. The only thing I did differently was to add 1 teaspoon sugar to the prepared water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back