Zany's no slime castile

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by Zany_in_CO, Dec 9, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. May 10, 2019 #301

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I made it January 1. This one with a little coconut has always lathered better than the 100% olive oil one. I think we both used the same recipe - the tweak suggested by Zany.

KiwiMoose likes this.
  2. May 10, 2019 #302

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

I made batch #2, lets hope this turns out better.
    I wasn't going to scent it but it seems some people were getting fast trace so I used a FO that slows trace.
    After 10 minutes of blending, I gave up and poured it thin. Not my favorite scent but it has its uses.

3. May 12, 2019 #303

sarasvati

sarasvati

sarasvati

@Zany_in_CO, thank you very much for sharing your no-slime castile recipe! I've made a batch of it a couple of months ago and I like it very much! I have found that the warmer the water, the more lather and bubbles. In the shower, I use a nylon towel to wash my body and with that and warm water, the soap lathers very well and creates copious bubbles. It's surprisingly quite cleansing, too and removes my waterproof mascara pretty well when I use it to wash my face. The soap is very hard and long-lasting, too. Even with the nylon towel, it lasted for more than a month in the shower and stayed hard until the very end even when it became paper-thin.

Now I would like to try making some variations of it using the faux sea water, olive oil, coconut oil and castor oil and I am wondering if those of you who have made variations of it had kept the zero superfat as in Zany’s original recipe or increased it because of other oils added. Your advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  4. May 12, 2019 #304

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Thank you, Sara! I'm happy it worked for you. And, yes, isn't it remarkable to get down to that last little sliver of soap and it still keeps its shape?!

Zero SF is the way to go if you want to reduce slime. ;)
    Adding 10% coconut & 5% castor will give you the same nice, long lasting castile you first experienced, but with more dense lather. Dissolving a tablespoon of table sugar in the water to make the NaOH solution also helps lather. :thumbs:

sarasvati likes this.
  5. May 14, 2019 #305

sarasvati

sarasvati

sarasvati

Thank you so much, Zany! I will try that and try using sugar, too, which will be my first attempt to using sugar :)

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  6. May 14, 2019 #306

atiz

atiz

atiz

An update: I just tested my 4-month old soaps, made with 100% pomace grade OO according to Zany's recipe. They are actually quite nice.
    After 1 month it was still way too slimy for my taste so I just put them away and didn't even look at them. Now there is no slime, they are very hard, and lather quite well. A tad bit drying perhaps, but that may be just me + OO.
    Even their smell improved a lot. (I used a lilac FO that was way too sweet/powdery at first but now it is rather pleasant.) They are still not pretty bars (almost seized on me and badly discolored), but I almost like them!
    So, another first-person experience that curing does help.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  7. May 15, 2019 #307

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

I tried a bar that was 3 weeks old... and it was super slimy. I mean i could scrape the slime with my finger and looked like gelly. The rest of the bars are still there waiting to cure some more to see how they behave in a few months. But on the bright side the bar lasted qute a bit for its size and was quite hard until the last little sliver. It was 100% OO the one that is a mix of virgin and refined, and it only had FO and a bit of mica for color. No changes to the original recipe.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  8. May 15, 2019 #308

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I generally tend to use a low SF when I use less coconut oil, so personally, for Zany's recipe with only 10% coconut and 5% castor I didn't up my superfat. When I tried the faux seawater in other high oleic recipes, I still superfatted according to my coconut oil amount, which I think 15% was max, so my SF was only around 2-3%.

I sent a whole loaf of this with my dad with instructions to let it cure a minimum 4wks. That point was in February, and now we're in the middle of May and he's on his third bar and he loves it. I have yet to get a detailed review though, coz he only gives me vague answers when I ask about slime, lather, etc..

sarasvati and Zany_in_CO like this.
  9. May 15, 2019 #309

atiz

atiz

atiz

That's exactly what mines were a month old, and I was very skeptical they would ever get better (I hate slime). But they did. Will be curious to hear your experience too in a couple of months!

Zany_in_CO and Alfa_Lazcares like this.
  10. May 15, 2019 #310

Dru B.

Dru B.

Dru B.

Has anyone tried this with actual sea-water? Or ocean water? Just wondering.

KiwiMoose likes this.
  11. May 15, 2019 #311

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

So "real" saltwater with additional bicarb? Can't recall if anyone in this thread has tried that...

12. May 15, 2019 #312

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Someone on this forum has mentioned using actual sea-water in soap, but I don't recall who that was, nor how long ago.

13. May 15, 2019 #313

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

I've used seawater.. And I recall @KiwiMoose also tried it.

14. May 15, 2019 #314

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Indeed - I have used real sea water in a number of batches, but not @Zany_in_CO's castile. I am quite prepared to make a batch with real sea water though, to see how it goes? Your thoughts @Zany? The good thing about New Zealand, is that no matter where you live, you're never further than 2 hours from the coast. I'm only 35 mins away - but I still have sea water in the freezer.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  15. May 16, 2019 #315

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Go for it, Kiwi! :thumbs:

Dawni likes this.
  16. May 17, 2019 #316

plantiest

plantiest

plantiest

Thanks, Zany! I'm going to try this base recipe this weekend. Appreciate that you took the time to share!

17. May 18, 2019 #317

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

You're welcome, plantiest!

18. May 18, 2019 #318

SoapSisters

SoapSisters

SoapSisters

I tried Zany's soap too! I made a 500 g recipe. My variations: I went with the 10% coconut oil and 5% castor oil. I also used 2% beeswax (I love how smooth it makes my soap and it really prevents soda ash) and the olive oil was 83%. I scented it with a litsea - lime EO blend. Thanks, Zany!

Attached Files:

MGM, Mobjack Bay, KiwiSoap and 4 others like this.
  19. May 18, 2019 #319

Dennis

Dennis

Dennis

Lifetime Supporter

I know, it's too late because I haven't been here in a while but what did I see first on my vist? Yep, denim soap. As far as a name I like "Favorite Jeans" or "Denim Dreams" or "Faded But Fabulous". I love jeans.

SaltedFig and KiwiMoose like this.
  20. May 18, 2019 #320

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

That looks just beautiful! Love your scent combo. I was just sitting here pondering making another batch of Zany's recipe today, but with my real sea water. I was thinking maybe lemongrass and lemon EOs, and leaving it uncoloured.