Zany's no slime castile

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by Zany_in_CO, Dec 9, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Mar 12, 2019 #281

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Yes! Me! Want me to send you the last little piece of a bar made a year ago? You can judge for yourself. ;) Click on my avatar and choose "Conversation" to exchange contact info.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2019
    Clarice likes this.
  2. Mar 12, 2019 #282

Dean

Dean

Dean

Thanks for the offer! No need to send. I will take your word on it. :)

I agree, don't throw out the baby! That would be a waste. It can be used again for future testing.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2019
    KiwiMoose and Primrose like this.
  3. Mar 12, 2019 #283

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

ROFL

Well isn't that why we make em? To test our patience, our maturity, test our money saving skills, the strength of our hair, test our problem solving skills, our cleanliness levels.... The list goes on. Soap probably is somewhere in the middle there lol

@Zany_in_CO did you test on any babies before you said this:
    Please say yes so @Dean can stop teasing me :p

Kidding lol

Mobjack Bay, KiwiMoose and Meena like this.
  4. Mar 12, 2019 #284

szaza

szaza

szaza

Great experimentation @Dawni ! Let us know how the more salt/less bicarb turns out after cure[emoji6]
    I was actually thinking about experimenting with a high OO recipe and subbing different liquid oils to see how the resulting soaps differ.. It might have been done already, still need to check that out, but otherwise it would be cool to get a small group of soapers together to make the same recipe with 3-4 different oils and see how we all feel about the differences!

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  5. Mar 12, 2019 #285

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

That's the plan.

My stormy soap was made CP with this more salt less bicarb water. The brownie soap I posted was HP also using this water. Trace times were more or less the same. The HP took longer to harden up and unmold, but that could be due to the clay and charcoal in the first one? I don't know really...

But yes, updates will be posted. I will compare them to previous soaps I made using exactly the same recipes, except for the additional salt and less baking soda. I have to go make a few more notes on all of them.....

Zany_in_CO and szaza like this.
  6. Mar 12, 2019 #286

Dean

Dean

Dean

My recipe which is posted in this thread was made with AO, CB and castor The results are posted too.

Probably this weekend I'll test my standard recipe with the SW reduced in half to see the zeawater can make up for the hardness provided by the SW and if the increase in AO and its oleic has beneficial effect on the skin and lather.

KiwiMoose, Zany_in_CO and szaza like this.
  7. Mar 27, 2019 #287

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

I agree. I'll play!
    You have such a creative mind, Dawni. I look forward to reading more and adding my 2¢ Worth.gif as well.
    Hold your horses, Peeps! I don't want to discourage anyone from the fun & excitement of experimentation; but rather I'd like to discourage you from making this thread any longer than need be to accommodate others down the road that have questions or to post results.

So, I respectfully encourage you to curb your enthusiasm, just long enough to start a new thread, linked to this thread; and post a link to your thread here. Trust me on this, this is a good thing in the long run! It allows other SMF members, like DeeAnna for one, that may not be watching this thread to participate in the discussion. Plus, it keeps all your info together in one place.

There's really no need to be offended when asked to start a new thread. I do it to provide access to other members to what I think will be a good discussion. It actually works quite well and keeps the original thread intact without getting too long. :thumbs:

In case you missed it, and to get a better understanding of how well starting a separate, but related, thread works, please read Post #40 in this thread:
    https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/you-have-insufficient-privileges-to-reply-here.74272/page-2

Jumping off from Zany's 'No Slime Castille' to Bastille varieties
    https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...o-slime-castille-to-bastille-varieties.74406/

Well done, Meena! Thank you!
    Thanks.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2019
    lenarenee, Meena and Teresa408 like this.
  8. Mar 28, 2019 #288

lenarenee

lenarenee

lenarenee

Supporting Member

True soap like cp and hp may technically be safe for babies, but greatly discouraged by pediatricians. Many recommended water only (exception of course for big problems like blown out diapers!), or baby washes made with detergent and pH balanced. The acid mantle of the skin isn’t developed yet in babies.

9. Apr 27, 2019 #289

GlenS

GlenS

GlenS

Hello and thanks Zany. Used the recipe (Faux Saltwater/Olive, Coconut and Castor Oils with Lavender FO) as suggested and in 2 days it came out of the mold easily. It is the 2 week mark and I began using a partial bar for trial. Seems to be holding up well in hardness and feels great. Holds the scent well too. So it gets better, that will be excellent!
    Cheers

Nanette and Zany_in_CO like this.
  10. Apr 27, 2019 #290

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

You're so very welcome, Glen! Well done. :thumbs:

Nanette likes this.
  11. Apr 27, 2019 #291

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

@Zany_in_CO How does your seawater castile lather for you compared to plain castile? I've had a bar of the seawater castile at the sink for awhile and it rarely gets used. True it has no slime but no lather either. I don't know if its from the salt or if its due to being so insoluble.
    I haven't tested it in the shower with a poof yet, I'm sure that it will be fine though.

12. Apr 27, 2019 #292

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Hmmm. I would say it has the stingy lather which is typical of castiles, only without the slime. I use my hands to lather and small bubbles come up quickly. The best part is when I smooth my hands across my face... the soap glides over my cheeks, forehead, and crevices like washing with cream. After rinsing, my face feels clean and not-tight or dry. :)

I've never used it for anything but my face so I'm not sure how it would lather up in the shower with a bath pouf. I guess I need to do that... but I'm down to my last 1/3 oz of my last bar. :(

13. Apr 27, 2019 #293

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

Hmm, I get virtually no lather. Wonder if my hard water is the culprit. I don't really know why I tried making this, castile dries my skin out terrible. In fact I don't use any OO in my regular soaps anymore. It was really cool to see how the faux seawater changed the texture. I really need to try it with my regular recipe.
    Why don't you PM me your address, I'll send you the few bars I have. I'll just end up tossing them, no one I know will use castile either, they all want bubbles.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  14. Apr 28, 2019 #294

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Maybe. Try adding a little water softener like Calgon, Borax, or Baking Soda to a sink full of water, then lathering up. That should answer that question tout suite.

I sent you a PM :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2019
  15. May 9, 2019 #295

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Update! My Zany's No-Slime is now sporting 4.5 months cure and it's very nice indeed. I used 85% OO, 10% CO and 5% Castor.
    It lathers very well, but still feels soft and gentle :)

Zany_in_CO and Dawni like this.
  16. May 9, 2019 #296

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

17. May 9, 2019 #297

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

I’ve just discovered it’s quite tricky to lather up your soap, dry one hand and then take a photo of the other still with the soap and suds in it. Nonetheless:
    0228FF47-6F74-4A66-B3C8-3E050973B23B.jpeg

18. May 9, 2019 #298

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

Edit to add. I found some certified EVOO, lets see if this makes a difference.

Ok guys, for some reason my castile turned out bad. I sent a bar to zany and she confirmed, its harsh.
    I followed the directions exactly so I don't know what is wrong. Some possible ideas

Adulterated OO. It was just a cheap brand from the store. What are you all using?

Tap water, though thats all I ever use for soap.

Odd brand of sea salt. Used real salt, which is similar to pink himalayan but mined in the US. Maybe the mineral content is too different.

Too much FO. It was a small batch, I just eyeballed the amount but it wasn't very much.

Going to try again with distilled water, canning salt and leave it unscented. Only thing I can't change is the OO. Closest costco is over a hour, too far for one thing.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Zany_in_CO likes this.
  19. May 10, 2019 #299

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is the 85% olive, 10% coconut, 5% castor. It feels very nice. The 100% olive, unscented and uncolored ones are smelling a bit off. I'll have to keep an eye on them. IMG_20190509_191228.jpg

20. May 10, 2019 #300

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

You win @dibbles ! How old is yours?

Zany_in_CO likes this.