Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone got to the end of the bar made with zea water? Does it get thinner without bending later than soap made without zea water?
Yes! Me! Want me to send you the last little piece of a bar made a year ago? You can judge for yourself. ;) Click on my avatar and choose "Conversation" to exchange contact info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! Me! Want me to send you the last little piece of a bar made a year ago? You can judge for yourself. ;) Click on my avatar and choose "Conversation" to exchange contact info.

Thanks for the offer! No need to send. I will take your word on it. :)

So don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I agree, don't throw out the baby! That would be a waste. It can be used again for future testing.:D

I agree, don't throw out the baby! That would be a waste. It can be used again for future testing.:D
ROFL

Well isn't that why we make em? To test our patience, our maturity, test our money saving skills, the strength of our hair, test our problem solving skills, our cleanliness levels.... The list goes on. Soap probably is somewhere in the middle there lol

@Zany_in_CO did you test on any babies before you said this:
Unscented, this soap is suitable for babies, sensitive skin, and for cancer patients undergoing radiation. Add 5% castor oil and 10% coconut oil for bubbles and an even milder soap.
Please say yes so @Dean can stop teasing me :p

Kidding lol

Great experimentation @Dawni ! Let us know how the more salt/less bicarb turns out after cure[emoji6]
I was actually thinking about experimenting with a high OO recipe and subbing different liquid oils to see how the resulting soaps differ.. It might have been done already, still need to check that out, but otherwise it would be cool to get a small group of soapers together to make the same recipe with 3-4 different oils and see how we all feel about the differences!

Great experimentation @Dawni ! Let us know how the more salt/less bicarb turns out after cure[emoji6]
I was actually thinking about experimenting with a high OO recipe and subbing different liquid oils to see how the resulting soaps differ.. It might have been done already, still need to check that out, but otherwise it would be cool to get a small group of soapers together to make the same recipe with 3-4 different oils and see how we all feel about the differences!
That's the plan.

My stormy soap was made CP with this more salt less bicarb water. The brownie soap I posted was HP also using this water. Trace times were more or less the same. The HP took longer to harden up and unmold, but that could be due to the clay and charcoal in the first one? I don't know really...

But yes, updates will be posted. I will compare them to previous soaps I made using exactly the same recipes, except for the additional salt and less baking soda. I have to go make a few more notes on all of them.....

My recipe which is posted in this thread was made with AO, CB and castor The results are posted too.

Probably this weekend I'll test my standard recipe with the SW reduced in half to see the zeawater can make up for the hardness provided by the SW and if the increase in AO and its oleic has beneficial effect on the skin and lather.

... it would be cool to get a small group of soapers together to make the same recipe with 3-4 different oils and see how we all feel about the differences!
I agree. I'll play!
That's the plan. ... But yes, updates will be posted. I will compare them to previous soaps I made using exactly the same recipes, except for the additional salt and less baking soda..
You have such a creative mind, Dawni. I look forward to reading more and adding my
2¢ Worth.gif
as well.
Probably this weekend I'll test my standard recipe with the SW reduced in half to see the zeawater can make up for the hardness provided by the SW and if the increase in AO and its oleic has beneficial effect on the skin and lather.
Hold your horses, Peeps! I don't want to discourage anyone from the fun & excitement of experimentation; but rather I'd like to discourage you from making this thread any longer than need be to accommodate others down the road that have questions or to post results.

So, I respectfully encourage you to curb your enthusiasm, just long enough to start a new thread, linked to this thread; and post a link to your thread here. Trust me on this, this is a good thing in the long run! It allows other SMF members, like DeeAnna for one, that may not be watching this thread to participate in the discussion. Plus, it keeps all your info together in one place.

There's really no need to be offended when asked to start a new thread. I do it to provide access to other members to what I think will be a good discussion. It actually works quite well and keeps the original thread intact without getting too long. :thumbs:

In case you missed it, and to get a better understanding of how well starting a separate, but related, thread works, please read Post #40 in this thread:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/you-have-insufficient-privileges-to-reply-here.74272/page-2

Jumping off from Zany's 'No Slime Castille' to Bastille varieties
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...o-slime-castille-to-bastille-varieties.74406/

Well done, Meena! Thank you!
Thanks.gif

@Zany_in_CO did you test on any babies before you said this:

True soap like cp and hp may technically be safe for babies, but greatly discouraged by pediatricians. Many recommended water only (exception of course for big problems like blown out diapers!), or baby washes made with detergent and pH balanced. The acid mantle of the skin isn’t developed yet in babies.

Hello and thanks Zany. Used the recipe (Faux Saltwater/Olive, Coconut and Castor Oils with Lavender FO) as suggested and in 2 days it came out of the mold easily. It is the 2 week mark and I began using a partial bar for trial. Seems to be holding up well in hardness and feels great. Holds the scent well too. So it gets better, that will be excellent!
Cheers

@Zany_in_CO How does your seawater castile lather for you compared to plain castile? I've had a bar of the seawater castile at the sink for awhile and it rarely gets used. True it has no slime but no lather either. I don't know if its from the salt or if its due to being so insoluble.
I haven't tested it in the shower with a poof yet, I'm sure that it will be fine though.

@Zany_in_CO How does your seawater castile lather for you compared to plain castile?
Hmmm. I would say it has the stingy lather which is typical of castiles, only without the slime. I use my hands to lather and small bubbles come up quickly. The best part is when I smooth my hands across my face... the soap glides over my cheeks, forehead, and crevices like washing with cream. After rinsing, my face feels clean and not-tight or dry. :)

I've never used it for anything but my face so I'm not sure how it would lather up in the shower with a bath pouf. I guess I need to do that... but I'm down to my last 1/3 oz of my last bar. :(

Hmmm. I would say it has the stingy lather which is typical of castiles, only without the slime. I use my hands to lather and small bubbles come up quickly. The best part is when I smooth my hands across my face... the soap glides over my cheeks, forehead, and crevices like washing with cream. After rinsing, my face feels clean and not-tight or dry. :)

I've never used it for anything but my face so I'm not sure how it would lather up in the shower with a bath pouf. I guess I need to do that... but I'm down to my last 1/3 oz of my last bar. :(

Hmm, I get virtually no lather. Wonder if my hard water is the culprit. I don't really know why I tried making this, castile dries my skin out terrible. In fact I don't use any OO in my regular soaps anymore. It was really cool to see how the faux seawater changed the texture. I really need to try it with my regular recipe.
Why don't you PM me your address, I'll send you the few bars I have. I'll just end up tossing them, no one I know will use castile either, they all want bubbles.

Hmm, I get virtually no lather. Wonder if my hard water is the culprit.
Maybe. Try adding a little water softener like Calgon, Borax, or Baking Soda to a sink full of water, then lathering up. That should answer that question tout suite.

I sent you a PM :)

Edit to add. I found some certified EVOO, lets see if this makes a difference.

Ok guys, for some reason my castile turned out bad. I sent a bar to zany and she confirmed, its harsh.
I followed the directions exactly so I don't know what is wrong. Some possible ideas

Adulterated OO. It was just a cheap brand from the store. What are you all using?

Tap water, though thats all I ever use for soap.

Odd brand of sea salt. Used real salt, which is similar to pink himalayan but mined in the US. Maybe the mineral content is too different.

Too much FO. It was a small batch, I just eyeballed the amount but it wasn't very much.

Going to try again with distilled water, canning salt and leave it unscented. Only thing I can't change is the OO. Closest costco is over a hour, too far for one thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back