Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize my calculator was malfunctioning. I did it over on another gadget and it worked out.
Another "gadget"? For easier communication, Cal43, it might be best for you to get used to using SoapCalc. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes easier. Give it another go... here's a Screen Shot of how it should look:
Screen shot.png

Does it have be sea salt or does any salt work?
I've only used sea salt to make this. You should be able to find Morton's Sea Salt at your local grocery store.

Good luck!

This soap came out beautiful! Thank you for the recipe.

Attachments

• 7BC681AD-DC3B-438F-85CC-573A4DB6BD81.jpeg
    7BC681AD-DC3B-438F-85CC-573A4DB6BD81.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 22C50CE5-AC98-47F7-B7A7-189905F12616.jpeg
    22C50CE5-AC98-47F7-B7A7-189905F12616.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 119
  • 91919355-0D2E-408F-A2D8-56BBF47EE3C0.jpeg
    91919355-0D2E-408F-A2D8-56BBF47EE3C0.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 110
I still love this recipe, though I am getting quite a bit of soap scum, which I haven't been getting as much anymore since I started adding citric acid to every batch (I have incredibly hard water). Left the CA out in this soap because of the sodium bicarbonate in the faux seawater, but I'd like to re-introduce it to the recipe.. made a separate thread about it yesterday evening because it's quite a long post and that way it would also be easier to find for anyone running into the same problem in later.. Still not sure if I should've just posted it here though, so I'll add a link ;)
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/citric-acid-in-zanys-no-slime-castile.73915/

I am anxious to try this recipe. I do have a question though. The ocean is very close to me. Would I be better off using sea water as opposed to faux sea water?

Susie (from this forum) suggested a while ago to finely filter natural sea water
(it contains all sorts of critters at this time of year for us southern hemisphere folk, so maybe onsite filtration and rinse the cloth might be the go :))
:)

I am anxious to try this recipe. I do have a question though. The ocean is very close to me. Would I be better off using sea water as opposed to faux sea water?

it's quite a long post and that way it would also be easier to find for anyone running into the same problem in later.. Still not sure if I should've just posted it here though, so I'll add a link ;)
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/citric-acid-in-zanys-no-slime-castile.73915/
What you did was perfect, szaza! Thank you for posting a link to the new thread here. Well done.
Thanks.gif

Others are free to disagree, but I strongly feel that everyone benefits by not hi-jacking a thread with a new topic, but rather starting a new thread where others can learn, comment and contribute -- and most importantly, find it again when you need to. ;)

Last edited:
What you did was perfect, szaza! Thank you for posting a link to the new thread here. Well done.
View attachment 36722
Others are free to disagree, but I strongly feel that everyone benefits by not hi-jacking a thread with a new topic, but rather starting a new thread where others can learn, comment and contribute -- and most importantly, find it again when you need to. ;)

I'm not sure whether this comment is directed at me, but just in case it is, I simple responded to a topic that you discussed, and later changed your mind and removed - I did not introduce the topic myself.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-no-slime-castile.72620/page-4#post-736919

And if it wasn't, as you were ... ;)

Then again, now that I'm here, I may as well ask a question I have been curious about ... (it's not super important, but I'd be interested to hear, if you have the time to answer).

Why did you name this "faux seawater"?

Last edited:
Update: I shower tested, then hand tested my bar. The bar had thick gel on it that got sticky/snotty when hand tested after showering. It def needs to dry out btwn uses.

Can’t wait to try this! The only version I’ve had that didn’t come out slimy was when I whipped the soap batter in my Kitchenaid. It bubbles ok, smooth and creamy with a matte appearance, but a pain of an extra step!! I’m making your recipe in the morning!!! Thank you

Almond oil and Olive oil do not produce the same single oil soap qualities.
Olive oil forms a hard bar at 6 months, a harder bar at 12 months and a very hard bar at 18 months.
Almond oil is a great oil but it will never form a really hard bar on its own.

Almond oil and Olive oil do not produce the same single oil soap qualities.
True.
Olive oil forms a hard bar at 6 months, a harder bar at 12 months and a very hard bar at 18 months.
It's clearly a case of YMMV. Before developing this formula, my 100% OO castiles cured in 12 weeks. As far as "very hard bar", that's not one of my priorities in a castile. As stingy as the lather is in a 100% OO castile, I've found that a "very hard bar" gives up even less of a lather.
Almond oil is a great oil but it will never form a really hard bar on its own.
With all due respect, PJ, you should try making a small batch of this recipe -- with either olive oil and/or almond oil. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I know I was. ;)

Is anyone using faux sea water instead of just salt in their non-castille recipies for hardness, sheen and ease of umolding?

Is anyone using faux sea water instead of just salt in their non-castille recipies for hardness, sheen and ease of umolding?
Not yet but my daughter did send over a gallon of real sea water with her SO. He dropped it off a couple nights ago and I strained it after work yesterday. I'm looking forward to trying it in soap but it won't be for a couple of weekends. I have a market to prepare for this weekend.

I had a friend who used to have a salt water fish tank - she would get special rocks from the "salt water fish tank store" and would soak these rocks in water for ??? time and then use in her tank.

I wonder if this would yield "less-faux" salt water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back