Zany's no slime castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok with my question to figuring out this recipe, I plugged it into the calculator. So how does the 1.7:1 ration applies to this recipe for a 1 pound bar
I cannot see read your Soap Calc sheet, but I am just wondering if you are trying to fill a 16 oz mold? If so 16 oz of oils will be to much, since it will make approx 22 oz of batter. Where are you seeing the 100 oz of oil. Are you sure you are not looking at the oil percent column which will have to add up to 100%. The quantity you put in, in this case 16 oz is not going to change in the top box.

I'm not sure what you are doing. First set your total oil weight to 16 ounces, or whatever you want it to be. Then set your water:lye ratio. Then your superfat and desired fragrance amount. Enter your oils by percent. After you have entered all of the information, calculate your recipe.
Thank you again, I think I got it. Your help is truly appreciated.

I cannot see read your Soap Calc sheet, but I am just wondering if you are trying to fill a 16 oz mold? If so 16 oz of oils will be to much, since it will make approx 22 oz of batter. Where are you seeing the 100 oz of oil. Are you sure you are not looking at the oil percent column which will have to add up to 100%. The quantity you put in, in this case 16 oz is not going to change in the top box.
Thank you , after your post I realize my calculator was malfunctioning. I did it over on another gadget and it worked out . Thank you!!!

One more question? Does it have be sea salt or does any salt work?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Zany_in_CO - Thanks again for sharing this recipe. I made this as my first soap of the new year and just this evening tried it. I just couldn't wait any longer! lol It's so nice and creamy and lathers just fine and seems hard to me, even after only 6 weeks of cure. No slime, but my Arizona-dry arms and legs are thanking you! I made it exactly like your recipe, nothing added at all... It's a hit for me! Again, thanks! :winner:

One more question? Does it have be sea salt or does any salt work?
There are minerals and sodium bicarb in real seawater so sea salt will have all those constituents. So if you don't use sea salt you will not be following the recipe and you will not get the same results.

I can't remember if someone mentioned it in this thread but I have a question regarding the salt.

What would happen if more were used? Not so much to make it a brine soap (well now that got me thinking more) but just more, like a teaspoon or two? And since I mentioned it, what would happen if we used this water for a soleseife?

Also, has anyone tried it with the olive oil "replacements?" like canola and rice bran? Just wanted to know if you can feel any difference with this faux seawater..

Next question is if anyone tried the faux seawater with regular recipes? Like say one with butters or animal fats..

Oh btw, the main reason I'm posting is to share an update of the soap posted here that uses this recipe, albeit slightly tweaked one. It's hit the one month mark tonight and though I usually hide my soaps so they cure a minimum 2mos, this one I wanted to try.

It feels lovely on the face! The only time I can remember my face feeling this soft after washing was with my rice soap. I tested only a small pebble sized piece and there's no sign of slime at all and it lathers well with small tight bubbles.

Definitely a winner!

Last edited:
I can't remember if someone mentioned it in this thread but I have a question regarding the salt.

What would happen if more were used? Not so much to make it a brine soap (well now that got me thinking more) but just more, like a teaspoon or two? And since I mentioned it, what would happen if we used this water for a soleseife?

Also, has anyone tried it with the olive oil "replacements?" like canola and rice bran? Just wanted to know if you can feel any difference with this faux seawater..

Next question is if anyone tried the faux seawater with regular recipes? Like say one with butters or animal fats..

Oh btw, the main reason I'm posting is to share an update of the soap posted here that uses this recipe, albeit slightly tweaked one. It's hit the one month mark tonight and though I usually hide my soaps so they cure a minimum 2mos, this one I wanted to try.

It feels lovely on the face! The only time I can remember my face feeling this soft after washing was with my rice soap. I tested only a small pebble sized piece and there's no sign of slime at all and it lathers well with small tight bubbles.

Definitely a winner!

“Also, has anyone tried it with the olive oil"replacements?"

I used AO. Recipie posted on the thread.

“Also, has anyone tried it with the olive oil"replacements?"

I used AO. Recipie posted on the thread.
Oh yes, I remember. I was more interested in the oils people specifically like to replace olive oil with in their regular recipes.

How's your soap now btw? I bet it's gotten even better?

Hi Dawni. :)

I always replace OO with AO in all my recipies.

My Zany Zoap is good. Showered tested last week at 4 wk cure. Still have a few to wks to go. I’m optimistic. Will keep u all updated!

Ah okies.. I think I assumed it was just an oil you liked. I didn't realize you use it to replace olive oil. I also always assumed the other two I mentioned were used for their similarities to olive oil. Thanks for the info @Dean! I'm gonna do more research on almond oil :)

@Dawni - I used real seawater in a number of my soaps. Not sure that I notice any difference?
No difference in hardness and feel, compared to just regular water?

That's what I was curious about. I've used sea salt before but never with baking soda so I guess I wanted to know what it'll do with recipes that aren't slimy to begin with, and have their own hardeners.

I guess eventually I'll just have to find out for myself lol

Ah okies.. I think I assumed it was just an oil you liked. I didn't realize you use it to replace olive oil. I also always assumed the other two I mentioned were used for their similarities to olive oil. Thanks for the info! I'm gonna do more research on avocado oil :)

I use almond oil becuz it preformed the best on single oil lather test. Also my teacher used OO and I did not like its snot.

Interestingly, I made a variation of Zany's soap this past weekend.... Charcoal & Lavender soap... BUT

I forgot to use the faux sea water I have sitting in my fridge. I probably shouldn't have been soaping but I felt better than I have in days. I did add 10% coconut and 5% castor oil, then wondered why it was taking so much longer to get to trace. It was only later that I remembered the faux sea water. It did unmold beautifully last night, though, and it cut just fine this morning.

Interestingly, I made a variation of Zany's soap this past weekend.... Charcoal & Lavender soap... BUT

I forgot to use the faux sea water I have sitting in my fridge. I probably shouldn't have been soaping but I felt better than I have in days. I did add 10% coconut and 5% castor oil, then wondered why it was taking so much longer to get to trace. It was only later that I remembered the faux sea water. It did unmold beautifully last night, though, and it cut just fine this morning.

But the faux sea water is the secret ingredient!

When using 15% coconut and 5% castor oil to Zany’s recipe, what’s a good cutting time for bar soaps?

This is a tried and true recipe that I've made several times. Others have tried it with excellent results. Be sure to keep the bar high and dry between uses by using a soap-saver-type soap dish. Tweak to your heart's delight! (Like, do I even need to say that?! :D)

ZANY’S NO SLIME OLIVE OIL CASTILE
Ingredients: Olive oil, water, sea salt, sodium bicarbonate.

1) MAKE FAUX SEAWATER - Use for water portion of the lye solution.
1 quart warm water
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)

I make up a quart at a time and store it in the fridge until I need it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2) MAKE LYE SOLUTION - Mix and allow to cool to 35°C - 40°C (100°F - 110°F).
1.7:1 Water to Lye Ratio (Note decimal and colon)
0% Super Fat/Lye Discount

Notes: I’ve tried 2:1 and 1.5:1. 1.5:1 gets almost too hard and 1:2 is okay but a bit slimey, so, for me, 1.7:1 is the ideal. Olive oil is high in unsaponifiables; so 0% SF works best to reduce slippery slime.
Prepare lye solution and set it in the sink to cool. Weigh olive oil into soap pot. Warm to 35°C - 40°C (100°F - 110°F). Combine when lye and oils are within -12°C (10°F) of each other. SB on and off to emulsion stage (5 - 25 minutes, depending on grade of olive oil.) Slowly pour into mold. Tap to remove bubbles. Spritz lightly with alcohol. Cover with plastic wrap. Insulate. Leave soap undisturbed for 12-24 hours.
UNMOLD in 12-24 hours
CUT Day 2
CURE Ready to ship in 2 weeks. 6 weeks is best. The longer the cure the better the soap.
Unscented, this soap is suitable for babies, sensitive skin, and for cancer patients undergoing radiation. Add 5% castor oil and 10% coconut oil for bubbles and an even milder soap.

If adding fragrance, add 0.85 oz. FO or 0.5% EO /PPO (Per 500 grams) to the castor oil an hour or so ahead of time (or overnight) and a teaspoon PPO of dry ingredient of choice -- corn starch, oat flour, arrowroot powder, White Kaolin Clay, etc. -- to help “stick” the fragrance.

VARIATIONS: Infuse Calendula Petals (yellow) or Bay Leaves (green) in oil ahead of time. Strain. Use up to 40% in the batch to add mildness and color.

@Zany_in_CO I read your curing recommendation above. For clarification, do you think this recipe needs a longer cure than a normal well balanced recipe (i.e. one with a lot of saturated oil)? 6 weeks is usually my minimum but I'm wondering if I should give this soap a couple more weeks due to the high liquid oil content.

For clarification, do you think this recipe needs a longer cure than a normal well balanced recipe (i.e. one with a lot of saturated oil)?
Good question! No, I don't think it needs a longer cure than a balanced recipe. Try it at 2 weeks. See what you think. 6 weeks is better. I think you'll be surprised at how quickly this castile cures. I'm thinking it must be the Faux Sea Water that helps the cure along. I used to cure my castile soaps for 12 weeks. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back