Zany's MIY Carrot Tissue Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
@Admin - I wasn't sure where to post this. Feel free to move to another forum.

Please read: CARROT TISSUE OIL
https://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/products/carrot-tissue-oil

Carrot oil is one of the best oils to rejuvenate and regenerate skin tissues. It helps to remove toxic build-up in the skin, improving the skin's complexion. As is, it can be used to soothe burns, blisters and scars, and is considered suitable for all skin types, especially dry, sensitive and mature skin. It gives a warm golden glow when used to make soap, lotions, creams, salves, lip balm -- whatever you imagine. Here’s how I make it.

MIY CARROT TISSUE OIL
INCI: Helianthus annuus (Sunflower) Oil (and) Beta Carotene

1 cup fresh carrots grated
2 cups high oleic sunflower oil
1 capsule Beta Carotene (Softgel 25,000 IU) (Optional)

Simmer carrot shreds in oil range top in a 8” stainless steel frying pan on lowest temp -- to a notch above LOW for 3 hours. You want just a bit of bubbles so the water from the fresh carrots can escape. The bubbling stops after 3 hours and the fat, juicy, fresh carrot gratings are tiny crispy things -- reduced to about 1/4 cup or less. I tossed them down the drain before I realized they probably would have been quite tasty in a salad. Add the beta carotene capsule (optional) while the oil is still warm.

This stuff is so pricey online that it makes me feel like I'm getting away with highway robbery by making it myself. If you make it, keep the temp low, but be sure there's a bit of bubbling going on because you want all the water in the carrots to escape.

ENJOY! Zany in CO

I'm bumping this in case you missed it.
Bump Rabbit.gif

I made carrot oil once. Dried it in the oven then infused it in AO. It was a lot of work. I was hoping to get an orange color oil but it came out golden yellow.

Thanks Zany! I've used carrot seed oil a few times and love the effects but can't stand the smell! Especially when it's on my face so under my nose. Since it's the carrot and not the seed, I bet there's no obnoxious smell. Once you've made it, how do you like to use it? Do you add it to a cream or lotion? Straight up?

I was hoping to get an orange color oil but it came out golden yellow.
Hi Dean!
For orange, just the Beta Carotene gel caps (25,000 IU) will give you a nice orange, depending on how many you squeeze into the batch. It's vitamin A -- good for the skin. Another option for orange soap is Red Palm Oil which I buy locally at an African/Mid-Eastern grocery store. Also online at Soapers Choice.
...carrot seed oil ... can't stand the smell!
I know! I totally agree! :p Plus it's SO expensive!
Since it's the carrot and not the seed, I bet there's no obnoxious smell.
True.
Once you've made it, how do you like to use it? Do you add it to a cream or lotion? Straight up?
Check the link provided above and Reviews for ways to use it.
Personally, I'm a former sun-worshiper that is no longer allowed to spend hours in the sun. So my favorite way to use it is 50/50 Carrot Oil & Red Raspberry Seed Oil -- 20 minutes in the sun gives me a nice health glow.

I also make a Sunstick (SPF 15) in a deodorant tube for the golfers in the family.

ETA: Whoopsie... I thought there was more info in that link about what to use it in. When I first made it, I used it in soap, lotion, and facial serum. Nice.

@Zany_in_CO - do you think your method here could be adapted for making this in a very low heat oven? If so, what temp might you suggest? To be honest, I am thinking that a deepish pan, low oven may allow me to put this on "auto pilot" while I dash about doing all and sundry! Thanks!

@Zany_in_CO - do you think your method here could be adapted for making this in a very low heat oven?!
I don't know. I think it would be tricky... I'm usually doing something in the kitchen while I have it going on the range top so I can check it once in a while and adjust the temp as needed.

don't mind me but, why? whay not just make carrot juice and either put that in your soap or just cook the juice down? it is truly amazing how many things you can juice and put into soap. we have a Jack LaLane juicer that has stood up since 1990 for my soaping needs. everything from carrots to ginger. I juice them all, put the little bit of fiber back into the juice for visual effect int he final soap and make my soap. Carrot juice gives you an AMAZING orange color.

Thanks for sharing Zany.
You're welcome. :)
Was just wondering..... how much of the carrot nutrients can survive the heat?
I wonder that too! :D
...don't mind me but, why?
I don't mind you speaking up at all, Karon. Your input is most welcome. You make a good point. I guess my answer is, and this is just me, I've always avoided "food" in my soaps... just a quirk of mine. But I do enjoy infusing botanicals, and in this case, carrots, into an oil to use to make soap. Different strokes for different folks, yes? ;)

Last edited:
sorry, I didn't mean to make that sound aggressive, i just didn't know why. Nothing personal or angry, just wondered. feels like what you have done was basically oil poach the carrots to let the water evaporate. it makes sense from one standpoint, you have decreased the water liquid in the batch. abd you can use the oil as part of you saponification calculations. you can usually tell how much change you get fromt he heat by the color change. especially with something like carrrots that have so much sugar in them. the browning is from caramelization.

Latest posts

Back