Zany's Flaxseed Shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
GOOD NEWS!

Some time ago, a soaping buddy and I did a one-on-one swap, agreeing to test drive each others stuff and report back. This was in my inbox the other day and I thought it would be informative to share this testimonial.

February 10, 2018, SB wrote:
I really love your Flaxseed Oil Shampoo! I have 1/4 a bottle left and limit myself to use it once a week to make it stretch. :0

February 12, 2018 Cee (Zany) wrote:
I am so glad to hear you liked my Flaxseed Shampoo! And your hair is colored, yes? Or is it "sun-bleached"? In any case, I was somewhat worried that it would get "fried" as many SMF-ers complain about with lye based LS. Please be honest. With your permission, I'd like to share your comment on SMF .

February 17, 2018, SB wrote:
Sorry am behind on replying. ... Just thought I would take a moment and tell you how much I like your Flaxseed Shampoo. I have natural hair color except when it gets bleached by the sun in the summer. I use the Flaxseed Shampoo once a week and it leaves my hair so nice and soft. It even brightens up some of the gray I have. I didn’t even need to use a conditioner which was always a given when I washed my hair. Just put a few drops of the Argan Oil hair serum on the ends when I combed it out before I used the blow dryer. Great Shampoo! Thank you for introducing me to it.

Just an FYI: This is an all natural (not "SynDet") liquid shampoo made with flaxseed oil, rosin and coconut oil; antioxidants ROE & Vitamin E added to the oils before soaping; citric acid (20%) solution added after dilution. This traces super fast so not recommended for beginners.

ZANY’S FLAXSEED SHAMPOO
Ingredients: Water, flaxseed oil, coconut oil, rosin, rosemary oleoresin extract, vitamin E (tocopherol), cedarwood, geranium & lavender essential oils, ethyl alcohol, citric acid.

LYE SOLUTION
3.6 oz. (102g) KOH 0% (SBM calc)
10.8 oz. Water @ 3 X KOH

Weigh water into 2-cup Pyrex. Place in sink. Wearing gloves and goggles, add KOH. Stir to dissolve completely.

11.75 oz. Flaxseed oil 70%
3.35 oz. Coconut Oil 20%
1.7 oz. Rosin 10%
16.8 oz TOTAL OILS

ADDS:
1 vitamin E capsule (1,000 IU)
1/2 tsp. ROE (33% in Jojoba Oil)

Weigh rosin and oils into 4-cup Pyrex. Nuke 3 minutes @ high. Rosin has a high melt temp -- continue to nuke @ 20 second intervals, if necessary, to get it completely liquid. Be sure to mix in all the sappy bits on the bottom. Don’t let the oils temp drop below 180°F (83°C) to keep the rosin liquid. Add vitamin E and ROE.

COMBINE when oils are @ 180°F (83°C) and lye solution @ 140°F (60°C). Stir by hand to trace, or SB in 2-3 minute bursts & rests (5 - 10 minutes). Maintain 160°F (71°C) until trace occurs. (If it starts to puff up, that’s a good sign! Put in sink and stir down.) TRACES FAST!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DILUTION: Nuke paste 10 min @ #3. Rest 5 minutes. Weigh paste into SS pot. (22.4 oz.) Calculate amount of dilution water needed. 2 X 16.8 oz. (2 X wt. of oils is better for this soap) = 33.6 oz. Add boiling water to paste in SS pot. Cover and heat on MED LOW to LOW until all soap is dissolved. Weigh soap. Add water if necessary to make 56 oz. total. (NOTE: Added 4 oz. water to dissolve film on top = 60 oz. LS + 4 Tbls alcohol to clarify.)
Add 2 tsp (10 mls) (0.06%) citric acid (20% solution) at the finish to neutralize and lower pH. Allow soap to cool to 122°F (50°C). before adding fragrance.

2 tsp Cedarwood VA EO + 2 tsp Lav & Geranium EO Blend

SEQUESTER 2 WEEKS - July 24, 2018 (pH 10.5 to pH 9 after sequester)

UPDATE: To avoid "sticky" rosin while making this recipe:
Melt the rosin with the coconut oil ahead of time. Pour into individual 5 oz. round molds. Freeze for 1 hour. Pop the pucks out. Put in a ZipLoc bag. Store in the freezer until needed.

@Zany_in_CO s flax seed shampoo was really fun to make but I must have mucked up somewhere - it is so harsh on my skin! Maybe I'm sensitive to flax oil in soap?
@kirsten. I'm sorry I didn't catch this sooner! It's not the flaxseed oil, it's the rosin that is a known irritant. I messed up. I should have added my notes when I posted the recipe.

NOTES:
FLAXSEED OIL
is a nourishing, rich source of alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and the Omega-3 series of essential fatty acids needed for the regulation of cellular activity. The human body cannot produce essential fatty acids and instead must obtain them from external sources. Topical use of flax seed oil allows the body to absorb some of the essential fatty acids necessary for healthy cellular activity.

ROSIN saponifies much like an oil but without any resulting glycerin. It gives a smooth cold cream finish to the lather and also acts as a detergent and preservative. (NOTE: May cause contact dermatitis in sensitive individuals). To Calculate - Rosin has the same SAP value as Wheat Germ Oil.

BEER is good for hair and can be substituted for part or all of the lye solution liquid to boost lather. Any beer will do, but dark German beer is best for the beneficial vitamins and minerals it contains.

CALGON WATER SOFTENER or BORAX (Sodium Carbonate 2% of 20% solution): enhances foaming, softens hard water, and triggers gelling in liquid soaps. Add 2 tsp. ppo to dilution water.

ALCOHOL not only clarifies, but acts like a preservative in LS and boosts lather. CAUTION: Too much flattens lather. Add as part of your dilution water, before or after sequester. 1-2 tablespoons per 16 oz. of finished shampoo.

CITRIC ACID - Use 2% of a 20% CA solution to adjust pH down closer to the pH of hair and scalp. Also helps to lessen sting factor if shampoo gets in your eyes.

FRAGRANCE - Covering the strong scent of flax seed oil and rosin was a challenge -- until I tried A Garden Eastward's Herbal Essences FO. Yumma!

Oh well, it has made a brilliant soap for my wood floors and trim.
@kirsten. 🤣 I'm laughing because I have a habit of trying every soap I make on my hair... still searching for the perfect bar or LS!!! This shampoo is a result of washing my hair with my Murphy's OIl Soap for Wood Floors dupe! I also use it to wash my wood floors & trim.

FOR CLEANING WOOD FLOORS

1 gallon warm water
1/2 oz. linseed (flaxseed) oil soap
1/4 cup vinegar or lemon juice
1/2 cup peppermint herb tea (optional)
few drops lemon essential oil (optional)

Combine ingredients in a pail or bucket. Swirl the water around until it is sudsy. Wring mop out well and proceed as normal, stopping every 3 feet or so to freshen mop.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I buy Flaxseed Oil and Hempseed Oil (if you prefer) locally at a Natural Foods Store like Sprouts or Whole Foods or Vitamin Cottage. The 8 fl.oz. bottle contains 7.5 oz. by net weight. The recipe can be reformulated for that amount.

Source for Rosin - USA & CA

CITRIC ACID - Use 2% of a 20% CA solution to adjust pH down closer to the pH of hair and scalp. Also helps to lessen sting factor if shampoo gets in your eyes.
2% of a 20% CA solution means add the 20% CA solution weighted to 2% the total weight of the diluted soap, yea?

I stumbled across this thread from another thread when I was supposed to be researching how to possibly run a booth at a market n i was just like rosin huh well that's interesting.

so i was goggling to see how rosin was really a thing (reminds me of pine tar) and found these cool rosin recipes:

Healing Salves such as Pneumonia Salve​

Cold and Pneumonia Salve

• 12oz.-unsalted lard
  • 2 oz.- camphor
  • 3 oz. – beeswax
  • 3 oz. – rosin (powdered)
Heat the above in a double boiler.
Take off heat, then add 2 teaspoons raw linseed oil
Bottle up in a 20 ml. turpentine
Used for colds and pneumonia, rub on chest and back.
It will store for years.

Source: http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f3/22-home-remedies-medicines-recipes-5591/

Cough and Congestion relieve Ointment

• 2 parts coconut oil
  • 1 part beeswax
  • eucalyptus essential oil (about 10 drops per ounce)
  • white camphor essential oil (about 5 drops per ounce)
Simply melt the oil and beeswax in a pan and then add the essential oils. Pour into your metal tin(s) or other container. And that’s it!

The salve will harden within 10-15 minutes. If you find it is too soft, like the consistency of an ointment, you can scoop it back into the pan, remelt it and add more beeswax. If it is too hard, remelt and add more oil. I’ve also remelted to add more essential oil when I wasn’t satisfied with the strength of the oils.

Source: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2011...por-rub-to-relieve-coughs-and-congestion.html

Pneumonia Salve

A good recipe for pneumonia: Make a salve of the following and put on the affected lungs. Keep warmed up. I know of cases cured with this where doctors gave up.
We always keep in house for colds on chest and sore throat:

• White rosin, 6 ounce (168 gram);
  • Bees wax, 6 ounce (168 grams);
  • Camphor gum, four ounces, 112 gram;
  • Lard, 12 ounces (336 grams);
  • Balsam Peru, four drams (14 grams);
  • Oil turpentine, four drams (14 grams);
  • Oil cedar, four drams (14 grams);
  • Oil of Eucalyptus, one ounce.
From THE OLD HERB DOCTOR
Pneumonia is an inflammatory condition of the lung. Typical symptoms include a cough, chest pain, fever, and difficulty breathing
---- source for all of above: Rosin Recipe – Rosin-Factory.com

worth mentioning: How To Make Pine Resin Salve

i've been thinking about it for about three months & it finally dawned me recently that dr bronner prob uses palm kernel oil in all his liquid soaps bc PKO makes ls thicker

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back