Zany's Faux Seawater in other recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elurah

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was really intrigued by Zany's faux seawater with sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate, and I am wondering if folks have used this in any non-castille/bastille recipes. I am always looking for new ways to boost lather/cut down on sliminess in milder, low cleansing # bars.

I am specifically interested in the sodium bicarbonate part. It looks like there is some level of conversion to sodium carbonate, but is that just from the heat of the reaction? I wouldn't imagine this neutralizing the lye as bicarbonate is weakly basic.

I reviewed historical threads about baking soda, and usually folks said that it did not work well in lye water and should be relegated to rebatching phase. This recipe by Soapqueen is often linked: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/cold-process-soap/soothing-oatmeal-bath-bar/

Is it the concentration in Zany's that works? Any thoughts or experiences appreciated!

ETA: add that I want to reduce sliminess in bars as well as boost lather.

Last edited:
Sliminess is caused by high oleic oils used in a large amount. I have no reason to use baking soda in my soaps as they aren't slimy and lather great. I say you can certainly try it. I tried Zany's recipe and still didn't like it. I don't use OO over 30% generally. You can increase your lather with adding sugar or SL to your soap or other types of sugars.

Back