Yup, you snagged another one!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomekeepingGran

Reaction score
Soap making has interested me for a long time but I failed my one and only attempt at it. I suspect this forum might be able to fill in my vast ignorance on the subject and even help me be successful at last.

Welcome!

Help is just a few keystrokes away! There are lots of knowledgeable soapers here and the archives are full of helpful info. :)

Jude

Hello, hello, Jude and SoapyEwe! Thank you for the welcomes! I do hope to learn from all of you but after poking around a bit this afternoon, I think what a really need is a cheatsheet so I can learn your acronyms! A little of it I caught: CP= cold process.

It always takes a while to find one's way around a new forum!

Helloicon.gif
A N D
smiley4038.gif

And yes acronyms can be very frustrating, and there is no consolidated list posted on this forum that I can find. What's worse is there are four classes of acronyms.

1. First there are general internet acronyms like:
LOL - laugh out loud
LMAO - laughing my ass off
IMHO - in my humble opinion
DH - dear husband
DW - dear wife
DD - dear daughter
DIL - daughter-in-law
STBX - soon to be X (husband or wife)
HTH - hope that helps

You can google for internet acronyms to get many of these.

2. Then there are soap process related acronyms like
HP - hot process
CP - cold process
MP or M&P - melt and pour
LS - liquid soap
RT - room temperature
RTCP - room temperature cold process
ITMHP = in the mold hot process
DOS - dreaded orange spots in soap
MSDS - material safety data sheets

3. Then the ingredient acronyms like
OO - olive oil
CB - cocoa butter
GM - goats milk
EO = essential oil
FO = fragrance oil

You can find a lot of group 2 and 3 acronyms by googling for soap making acronyms

4. Then there are company or supplier acronyms like
WSP = Wholesale Supplies Plus
BC = Bittercreek
SW = Scent Works

This is as clear as mud, right?

Hello, Wayne! And thank you for the translation list! That's hugely helpful. And it also helps that I am not a forum novice but only a Soap Making Forum novice, so most of these general ones I already know. I did notice DOS and wondered if it were "Dirty Old Soap", LOL. (Close but no cigars.)

Maybe you need a sticky, thumbtack or whatever it is called on this board to help newbies out?

HomekeepingGran said:
Hello, Wayne! And thank you for the translation list! That's hugely helpful. And it also helps that I am not a forum novice but only a Soap Making Forum novice, so most of these general ones I already know. I did notice DOS and wondered if it were "Dirty Old Soap", LOL. (Close but no cigars.)

Maybe you need a sticky, thumbtack or whatever it is called on this board to help newbies out?

Turns out there was one already from one of the moderators, IanT. I did not find it because "acronym" was not in the title, so my search missed it. I think they might fix that.

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... 3969#33969

Latest posts

Back