Your top three, please...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebiz

Reaction score
I've only started one thread so far. And, in it I learned that the people on this site are extremely nice and eager to help out a newbie like myself. Thank you for that!!

I would like to try some MP soap. But, I have a very limited budget! :( It was suggested to me that I find out what fragrances and colors sell best. So, I'm asking. I know that there are a plethora of colors and fragrances to choose from. But, if you suddenly found yourself in a situation where you could only choose three colors and three fragrances, and had to base your choices on the ones that have sold the best for you, which ones would they be.

Please remember, only your three best selling colors and your three best selling fragrances!!

Thanks in advance for your input and any suggestions you have!!

Robert

Robert. I don't use M&P nor do I use FOs. But I can tell you that no matter what you use, you can go wrong with lavenders. They seem to appeal, at times, to both men and women depending on the blend.
hth

Thanks Birdie! I know my wife and I like lavender too! I assumed (dangerous, I know) that you meant "can't" go wronge with lavenders, right??

Robert

You should have the 3 primary colors yellow, red, blue. With those colors you can make orange-green-purple. Black is optional if you choose to use it.

Yes! The three primary colors are a must. You can build mostly any color off of those. My biggest seller is Lilac. For three yrs now, nothing has ever sold out Lilac. :)

My Grandmother used to say, "Two heads are better than one.... even if mine is a gourd-head!" And, you guys just proved it to me. I hadn't thought about getting the basic colors and making my own "custom" colors! But, it's a great idea! Thanks a bunch!!!

Guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees! :lol:

Alright, that was a good suggestion about colors. Now, how about for the fragrances????

Robert

I would suggest picking 1 floral, 1 fruit & something sweet , earthy or herbal as your third. You don't want to choose 3 fruits or 3 florals, etc.

Lavender (I agree this is unisex)
Black Raspberry Vanilla or Cucumber Melon or Coconut Lime or Mango Papaya
Garden Mint or Oatmeal, Milk & Honey

You might want to post a wanted ad in the for sale area. You might find someone on the list needs to clean out their fragrance cabinet & you might get a great deal! I just cleaned mine out about a month ago & sold a ton for .50cents an oz.

colors: red, yllw, blue

yllw& red: orange
red& blue; purple
yllw & blue: green

maybe a teal, as teal & red result in ocean blue, while teal and purple give you royal blue

red, teal and yellow is a shade of pink.

from there you can do orange& purple for country blue
red& purple: burgandy

i have an old color mixing chart that i think came off of wsp site. but i bet if you googled for a color wheel something would come up.

as far as scents go, different scents sell better in different area, and with different age groups, and your a better person than i am if you can limit yourself to just three. there are some sites that offer 1 oz. sample fragrances in a bundle of 10 different scents for 20.00, that may be a way to have a bit more variety to start out with.

when i started i purchased fragrance oils in the smaller sizes to start out with and if they proved to be good movers then i would replace them in more economical sizes, this way i wasn't stuck with fragrance oils that didn't sell resulting in wasted dollars and space

can't go wrong with oatmeal milk and honey, then one floral and a fruity/citrus.

sites like wsp have customer reviews listed with their fragrances, i check if i'm unsure about a fragrance.

there is also a fragrance review board with the same kinds of information.
http://soapscentreview.obisoap.ca , although this one leans more towards soap from scratch rather then mp. but good site none the less.
barb

Thanks for the info and the suggestions, Barb! I found a three tiered color chart that shows the basic colors and what can be achieved by mixing them. Thanks!

I tried the link that you posted, but it wouldn't work for me. Could there be an error??

Robert

Try it again, I think I fixed it. The comma after the link was too close to it & reading it as part of the address.

Thanks for your helping hand, Tabitha!

Barb, I went to the site and joined. Am still waiting on an email saying that my membership has been activated. There's a message there that says to be paitent that it is ski season!!

Robert

I was going over my FO's...

My three top sellers IN CP are...
Nag Champa
Lilac
Gardenia

In MP my best sellers are...
Lilac
Sandalwood
Peach

Also, I use a lot of red based colors, I was going over invoices and I but twice as much red type colors over any other color...I never noticed that before...haha.

Wow, only 3 colours...I agree with the above posts on those 3 basic colours. I just received my Select Shades Basic 8 set which you can make 1,000's of colours and they provide an online colour chart for CP soap, too! Cool tool. My best selling scents in my Salt Bars and Goat Milk soaps are;

1. Black Raspberry Vanilla
2. Warm Vanilla Sugar
3. Green Irish Tweed

I just got in over 20 FO's for this spring from 4 suppliers, Natures Garden, Wholesale Supplies Plus, Soap Supplies, and Tradewinds.

What can I say, I'm a FO-HO! :lol: :lol:

Paul

Soapmaker Man said:
I just got in over 20 FO's for this spring from 4 suppliers, Natures Garden, Wholesale Supplies Plus, Soap Supplies, and Tradewinds.

What can I say, I'm a FO-HO! :lol: :lol:

Paul
Would love to hear your reviews on the FO's in the FO board. I have been having a lot of problems with the WSP FO's in CP, but they work amazing in MP. FO-HO!!?? :lol: :lol: :lol: Niiiiiiice!

Back