Your favorite INEXPENSIVE but good/great FO's/EO? Please share.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh noooo......more expensive, AND it's not the same??? Well, it will be interesting. I ordered a pound of it in their recent 20% off sale. I have some of the old stuff, so I'll be able to compare and see if it's the same or not. At least I didn't pay $35 a pound for it. :-(

I did not know WSP had a sale :( How did you find out about it? I could not see a newsletter sign-up on their website....

Thanks!
Aline

Not the cheapest ($25.55/lb), but lebermuths's Velvet Tuberose is beautiful and you don't have to use much, which makes it more cost-effective. I used about 0.1 ounces in a pound of oils and the scent is not strong but definitely present a few months later.

Just saw they have some FO's on sale, some of the prices are very good.
http://www.lebermuth.com/spring-clean-sales-event-2015/

Last edited:
Navigator hope that it was just a small batch that wasn't right, so that your 1 lb. bottle is good. The first thing that I noticed was the scent was much weaker in the actual soap, and kinda flat smelling.I actually called WSP and same thing they swore that there were no changes.
I had people smell each, and every single person said keep the dark one. My recipe usually goes chocolate brown with the Nag Champa, but this batch only went a medium brown. So I don't know, but I need to find a new Nag Champa. I have a sample coming this week so if it is good I will post here.

Nag Champa is one of those fragrances that you either hate or you really love it. And it's one of those that have a lot of versions, some good, some not so hot. So when you've bought many different versions, searching for "the" one, and then you find it, you're very loyal. So it's difficult when suppliers don't respect the loyalty that we feel to their product. One would hope that even if they're only in it for the money, that they would appreciate the fact that word of mouth is incredibly powerful, and can mean money in or out of their pockets depending on which way it goes. After losing the Scent Works vanilla sandalwood, this just breaks my heart. :-(

Black Raspberry Vanilla from soapsupplies is the best I have smelled. Plumeria from California Candle sticks beautifully and is the most realistic I have tried. Angelica from Cal Candle is also beautiful. Both accelerate but are manageable. BRV does not accelerate or discolor

Newbie, some of those Lebermuth fragrances are really well-priced, but it looks like they have a $300 minimum? Also, when you try to put stuff in the cart/go through checkout, it doesn't seem to be discounting to the sale prices (which are really good.) Have you ordered from them during this sale?

Answered my own question on the minimum by searching, I guess you can get less by paying a $20.00 processing fee. Still curious about how the sale discount gets processed though, if anyone has ordered.

Answered my own question on the minimum by searching, I guess you can get less by paying a $20.00 processing fee. Still curious about how the sale discount gets processed though, if anyone has ordered.

not_ally, are you asking if the sale is still on? I'm not sure, it was a bit ago, it may be over by now.

Nav, I think it is ongoing until June 30th (or until in a given case the FO runs out), at least that is what the link says. I was wondering more why when I tried to a sample checkout on some of them they showed original - not sale - prices, usually w/co sales they may show the original ones but when you get to check out they show you the discounts and the new total. The Lebermuth site isn't doing that.

I didn't see the minimum order. Dang. I have gotten some samples of a couple of their FO from someone but have never ordered. No one has started a page for them on the spread sheet either. I am not of the Fragrance REview Board so am flying solo. Have you emailed them? It seems strange that the sale prices wouldn't show.

Newb, I have not emailed them yet, I may give them a call in a bit. The minimum is somewhere on the site, I hunted around for it b/c I remembered being interested in some of their FOs before and being put off by some kind of barrier to purchase like minimums. Site is not that user friendly, ie; no review, no "performance in use" notes, so it is kind of hard to figure out what is good, although I did a google search and looked on dish and it looks like people generally think their FOs are pretty high quality and stick well. If you have questions about specific scents, post 'em and I'll see if there is any feedback on them on the Soap Scent Rev. Bd.

Olive and Nav, I stumbled across a Nag Champa "fave recommendations" request on Dish while I was looking for Lebermuth info. Some folks there suggested Lebermuth's (which is actually pretty inexpensive at $22/lb), OT, NDA, and also as a similar scent, Illuminations by Candle Science. I've tried that one and really liked it but it seemed to fade for me in CP and I remember it being expensive-ish (probably around what the WPS NC now.)

I just checked my FO note chart and apparently I tested the NDA one in MP (wow, totally forgot that). They say it that one is nice/pretty, but more of a champaka/floral scent than a true match to the incense. Also tested SOS's version in MP and apparently loved it, very close to the incense, although I have not tested it in CP and their FOs are expensive.

Not Ally I didn't see an Illuminations at Candle Science, did you try their Nag Champa? I have seen their reviews that it fades in CP, so haven't tried it. I just got my sample today so I will test it the next time I make soap, and report back.

Try and live in Aus where re-sellers of NG and BB sell 50ml which I guess is about 2 oz for AUS$10. :cry:
I bothered with cheaper brands and seller but just wasn't happy with how FOs performed.
I just got NG order of 8 x 1oz bottles which I paid AUS$60, that's including postage. Which I think is expensive but nothing I can do, I really like my NG FOs.
Australian re-seller of NG only sells 50ml bottles which are AUS$10 and that puts me off big time, because I already lost enough $$$ spending on FOs I don't like. This way I get smaller 1 oz bottle and even if the FO is a dud, I don't loose as much. Postage from US is already close to postage withing AUS, so not much loss there.
I order smaller bottles first and then if I like the FO, next time go up to 2oz. I don't sell, so that size FO is pretty much what we need.
And I also learned through experience, to test every FO on small soap, not a full batch. Lost to many batches that way.

For me, great ones from NG are:
Lotus blossom, Australian bamboo grass, BR and vanilla, Love spell, Brown sugar & fig (lovely in wax), all these stick nicely in soap.

From BB:
Kumquat, Sensuous sandalwood (blended with vanilla), great in CP, stick forever. Kumquat has to be one of my favourite FOs, it's really lovely.
White tea and ginger, Summer fling, great in LS, LS stays clear, but both disappear in CP. I really like them, but use them only in LS and in bubble bars if I'm to use them withing few weeks.

I pretty much never use EOs. Try them every now and then but get really poor results in CP. I tested Lemon myrtle the other week and all I got was some weird wet sock smell, none of that lovely lemony scent was left after few days. Luckily it was my testing batch, so I only used maybe 1.5oz of soap.

Olive and Nav, I stumbled across a Nag Champa "fave recommendations" request on Dish while I was looking for Lebermuth info. Some folks there suggested Lebermuth's (which is actually pretty inexpensive at $22/lb), OT, NDA, and also as a similar scent, Illuminations by Candle Science. I've tried that one and really liked it but it seemed to fade for me in CP and I remember it being expensive-ish (probably around what the WPS NC now.)

Thanks for that, I'll have to start checking out others. I did have some from BB, which was OK, but myself and a couple of other NC lovers didn't think it was nearly as good as WSPs.

Latest posts

Back