Your favorite immersion blender?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziesgirl

Reaction score
I am in the market for an immersion blender. I did a search of older posts, but the most recent I can find on the subject is 2013, so there are probably many new options. Would anyone want to share if they have a particular favorite, and maybe how long it has been working for you? Thanks!

I have an older model Cuisinart and I don't like it. I think the bell is too rounded so takes a lot of work to burp the air out. I also think it pulls air down the shaft and into my batter. I have to put it into my oils, bang it on the side of the bowl then pulse it a few times before I add the lye water. Because of that, I can't take it out of the batter, then put it back in without creating a mess of air. It's so annoying! I've been closely watching what other soapers are using and I've seen some with a much smaller bell that's not as rounded. I have no idea what brand it is but I'm on the look out!

ETA: I forgot to mention I bought one with a plastic shaft once. NEVER again. I used it to make HP LS and it melted the bell then flung hot LS paste out of the pot all over my arm. So be sure to stick with stainless steel.

Last edited:
I have been using the Walmart el cheapo... lol http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-2-Speed-Hand-Blender/15758914
It has lasted almost 2 years, and still works fine. I've tried several different brands, but always go back to this one.
I prefer the stainless bell also. I don't recall ever using the high setting. I don't run it the entire time, I just pulse it, and the stir with it.

I have been using the Walmart el cheapo... lol http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-2-Speed-Hand-Blender/15758914
It has lasted almost 2 years, and still works fine. I've tried several different brands, but always go back to this one.
I prefer the stainless bell also. I don't recall ever using the high setting. I don't run it the entire time, I just pulse it, and the stir with it.

I second this. I have an extra one just in case and it's great for food as well as soaps.

this is good to hear. i'm shopping for SBs too and this hamilton beach one sounds like one of the best for the inexpensive SBs from all the research i've done. makes me wonder if i need a mostly metal one (the waring) after all.

Yup, this is the one I have too. I need to get a second to have around as back up. I've gotten it almost too hot at least once. it'd be good to have another that isn't supposed to be used for food around just in case.

My favorite stick blender is the reasonably priced Hamilton Beach I bought about 11 years ago from Walmart for $19.00. Believe it or not, I've been soaping with it all these years and it's still going strong.

I like it a lot because it gets the job done without me having to 'burp' it, and without giving me the grief of air bubbles, which I attribute to the design of the bell. It is shallow, unlike the bells on the Cuisinart and the Kitchenaid SBs, (both of which I also own), whose bells are much deeper and notorious for trapping air. And it doesn't have any of those narrow, horizontal slits/vents around the circumference of the bell just above the vertical arched 'vents' like my Cuisinart and Kitchenaid have. The only 'vents' on the Hamilton's bell are of the vertical arched kind, and they are fairly narrow and generously high. I believe both of these features contribute to me never having to 'burp' it, and never getting air bubbles in my batter.

The only thing I wish I could change would be shaft- I'd prefer if it were stainless instead of plastic- but I really can't complain too much seeing as how the thing has served me well all these years (and is still going strong). I have 2 back-ups of the same model 'just-in-case', but I've never had cause to use them as of yet. lol

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am new to soaping and have this Cuisinart CSB-76BC blender (purchased new from eBay for $28 ). I'm not linking the product for a recommendation (please defer to those who have soaped far longer for that!), but to illustrate something I would do differently next time. One, this blender has those air vents IrishLass speaks of, and it can be a nuisance with aerating batter (and makes it very difficult, almost impossible, to blend small test batches). And two, I have noticed that after doing a few hot process batches, the enamel in the crock pot has gotten scratched up from the "claws" on the bell's bottom.

This is the only stick blender I've ever used so I have nothing to compare it to, but if/when it ever poops out I will replace it with a model that has a smooth bottom, smaller bell, and no air vents (like the ones recommended above).

I have a Hamilton Beach and Cuisinart for soaping and a Bamix I use only for cooking.

I like the first two the best. The bottom end of both is all stainless steel with simple seals that are lye safe. It's easy to detach the shaft from the handle/motor, and that makes it easier to clean up. Price for either is reasonable, although the HB is lower in cost for those on a budget. The HB is perhaps easier to find locally (I bought mine at Walmart).

I think the Cuisinart needs a little more liquid over the bell to avoid splatters, compared with the HB, so the HB might be nicer for those who make a lot of small (1 lb, 500 g) batches. Because of the bell design, the HB tends to vacuum itself down to the bottom of the soap pot if I put the bell straight down, but it's fine if I remember to give it a wee tilt to one side.

I honestly would never buy a Bamix again. The bottom shaft and impeller are stainless but the bell is some other kind of cast metal that is not lye safe. The seals are not lye safe although they are more secure and are probably better at keeping food particles from traveling up the shaft. The biggest issue is the bottom end cannot be detached from the handle/motor part so it's harder to clean. Price is very high and it doesn't do any better job than the other two.

I was gifted a Kitchenaid SB years ago and it gathered dust in a dark corner of my kitchen until I started soaping. It does trap air in the bell no matter how much burping or tipping I try. I was wondering if anyone who owns one of these high dome SBs has ever tried the trick of drilling holes near the top of the dome to release air? I saw mention of it on a soaping video some time ago, but have been afraid to try. Not that I don't threaten to every time I soap.

Cuisinart Stick blender

I have a quick question - I purchased a new Cuisinart Stick blender an it has an annoying lock button on top. That you have to depress each time you press the power button - As you know in soaping you start stop alot and I have to keep unlocking this? Am i not un:confused:dertanding how it works? Or do others fins it just as annoying?

I have a quick question - I purchased a new Cuisinart Stick blender an it has an annoying lock button on top. That you have to depress each time you press the power button - As you know in soaping you start stop alot and I have to keep unlocking this? Am i not un:confused:dertanding how it works? Or do others fins it just as annoying?

My goodness I am glad you asked that. I have the same Cuisinart and I hate it. I have never figured out how to use it. I keep both buttons depressed at the same time which makes it unwieldy. It feels awkward trying to use it. I also have a Breville, which I adore, but it is only for food.

Scooter

redhead1226 said:
Am i not un
confused.gif
dertanding how it works? Or do others fins it just as annoying?

I have a Cuisinart stick-blender, but it's a different model that does not have a locking button (thankfully!). I just plug it in and hold down either 'Low' or 'High' to make it go, and when I want it to stop, I just release the button. I had never seen the kind with the locking mechanism until your post, so after reading your post and also Scooter's post, I did a search and found it. It looks like it's the cordless type- model CSB-300?

Anyway, I read through the online manual for it to see how to use it, and you are understanding perfectly how it works, and you have every right to be annoyed! It says that if you want to pulse (which is something every soap-maker needs to be able to do), you actually have to constantly hold down the lock/unlock button at the very same time you are pressing & releasing the on/off button. Seriously? How impracticable is that? It sounds like the kind of stick-blender that belongs on the Island of Misfit Toys! If it were mine and I hadn't yet destroyed it by throwing it against the wall in frustration, I would return it pronto because there's no way on earth I would ever want to use it.

I have a Cuisinart stick-blender, but it's a different model that does not have a locking button (thankfully!). I just plug it in and hold down either 'Low' or 'High' to make it go, and when I want it to stop, I just release the button. I had never seen the kind with the locking mechanism until your post, so after reading your post and also Scooter's post, I did a search and found it. It looks like it's the cordless type- model CSB-300?

Anyway, I read through the online manual for it to see how to use it, and you are understanding perfectly how it works, and you have every right to be annoyed! It says that if you want to pulse (which is something every soap-maker needs to be able to do), you actually have to constantly hold down the lock/unlock button at the very same time you are pressing & releasing the on/off button. Seriously? How impracticable is that? It sounds like the kind of stick-blender that belongs on the Island of Misfit Toys! If it were mine and I hadn't yet destroyed it by throwing it against the wall in frustration, I would return it pronto because there's no way on earth I would ever want to use it.

Wow it is no joke when I think about these description you said! What a dumb toy! Then I went to Amazon and see the video next to its photo slide. As a joke of course.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X3N9L8S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Time lapse 4:35~ 4:51

It appears it might be a child proof grown-up gadget maybe. Just like some Japanese designed electric water boiler/ heater has a unlock button, need to push it before you hit the hot water button.
Hmm.., otherwise your kid might having fun with the cuisinart electric knife playing Texas chainsaw movie!!!
:shock:

ETA: sorry it's my brain f_ck ( fart and/or fog ) talking. As a soaper you'll have to pulse it, stop a while, pulse it, and stop... It CAN be annoying!
But you can let go the unlock button once it starts.

I called Cuisinart last night and they say that's a feature on the new blenders! If you have an older one you wont have this issue but all will eventually have this annoying feature! If you stop for even a second and your finger leaves the speed button you have to press the unlock button again... And again.. and again if your pulsing!I returned it to Amazon - And purchased one n Ebay just now that apparenty is pre-lock button. I posted the pic from Amazon - Look at the button on top of the flat part of the blender. Hover over the picture to see it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARQVM5O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I think I need to get a non-safety-feature one to have on standby! How dumb!

When do you NOT pulse a stick blender?? I use mine for soup as well and I still pulse it!

Sounds like this is a great time to buy some back-ups of the older model before they are all gone!

cherrycoke216 said:
It appears it might be a child proof grown-up gadget maybe

I think you are more than likely correct....although I think 'idiot-proof'/'lawsuit-proof' may be even more accurate.

It sounds like Cuisinart is going in the same overly-engineered, 'safety feature' direction that they took with their line of food processors, which is the deal-breaking reason I chose not to buy their food processor back when I was looking to buy a food processor a few years ago.

I bought a Braun processor instead, which thankfully doesn't have any annoyingly over-engineered safety features on it that would suck the pleasure out of using it and/or cause me to resent ever buying it.

My Braun is such a pleasure to use that I actually bought double backup/replacement parts for it 'just in case' a day would ever come that I'd never be able to find replacement parts for it in the future. Thankfully, I haven't had need to use any of them yet. It's still working great after about 4 years of use.

Latest posts

Back