Your favorite exfoliating add ins

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use pumice in my mechanics soap. I add finely ground coffee or finely ground oatmeal in some of my soap.

Anyone used ground up sunflower seeds before?

Look for "soap school" in YouTube. She recently made a soap with ground pistachio and almond nuts (I think it was). I don't know how well the soap would age, as Shari said, I would be concerned with larger nut chunks going rancid because they are not completely dry.

No, as they are not totally dry, I would be concerned about rancidity. I’ve had sunflower seeds go bad in containers.

Yes, I agree with Shari, with the length of time from making the soap to using the soap, the sunflower seeds would go rancid and that would likely spread to the soap to encourage DOS. Sunflower seeds are my favorite snack, but if I don't finish off a package before I leave on a trip, I usually find rancid seeds waiting for me when I get home.

A friend and I were talking about this. I have no problem with the salt bar, but she does. It turns out that we use soap differently in the shower: I rub the bar with my hands and then rub the soapiness on my skin. She rubs the bar right on her body. I wonder if the different opinions about the salt bars result from different methods of use.
I use a salt bar I made with a single plastic mold. And also a saline bar. the salt soap I use occasionally maybe 2 times a month or so or when I need a nice neutral soap. I made my salt soap at 50% of my total oil weight. And added it at light trace the salt will natually make the bar hard however it's been nice to have haven't used the saline bar yet. W saline bar you first disolve the salt before you put you lye in. You do it at 25% of your total water weight. Also makes for a hard bar also did In a single mold. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/how-to-make-salt-soap-bars-516686

Last edited:
I have a coffee soap that has coffee grounds and oatmeal in it. I use this in the kitchen as this tends to be where we wash our hands after working outside or in the garage. Both my husband and I love it and my mother was extremely surprised by how "smooth" it felt without being too abrasive (she is VERY hard to please when it comes to soaps and has actually told me "I certainly hope you don't plan to give me any of your soaps since I won't use them. I will stick to my store bought soaps." let's just say our relationship is a little strained.)

I use a salt bar I made with a single plastic mold. And also a saline bar. the salt soap I use occasionally maybe 2 times a month or so or when I need a nice neutral soap. I made my salt soap at 50% of my total oil weight. And added it at light trace the salt will natually make the bar hard however it's been nice to have haven't used the saline bar yet. W saline bar you first disolve the salt before you put you lye in. You do it at 25% of your total water weight. Also makes for a hard bar also did In a single mold. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/how-to-make-salt-soap-bars-516686

There are several recipes on this forum for salt bars.

However, I’ve never found them to be exfoliating. Mine have always been smooth like a rock. I generally use them directly on my skin. A scrubby sometimes. I’ve been using them for years 3-4 times a week. They are my girls favorite bars, especially for their face.

If it’s scrubby it may be the salt being used.

There are several recipes on this forum for salt bars.

However, I’ve never found them to be exfoliating. Mine have always been smooth like a rock. I generally use them directly on my skin. A scrubby sometimes. I’ve been using them for years 3-4 times a week. They are my girls favorite bars, especially for their face.

If it’s scrubby it may be the salt being used.
I haven't explored scrubby add ins enough to know what my favorite would be although I do have several on hand

I have a batch of OMH that I added about a tsp of walnut shell powder to and it's very very scrubby. I would say that it's probably too scratchy for sensitive skin but I like it.

I adore salt bars, but mine aren't scrubby either (I use sea salt).

I've tried liking coffee, but don't like the feel or look of it (or poppy seeds) in use.
Himalayan salt and ground walnut shells are lacerating, so I don't like them for direct use on skin either.
Oats and other soft products don't have enough "scrubbiness" (calendula is in the soft category, although it's pretty and doesn't get that ugly "in use" look).

For scrubby I think my favourite is ground pumice (in a workshop/garden soap).
For exfoliating I prefer my sugar scrub.

I have a soap we use at the kitchen and bathroom sinks that has ground coffee and ground oatmeal; it's meant for hand washing and we all love it. I have one customer that buys 4 bars at a time. It's his favourite soap. I've also made a Gardener's/Mechanic's soap that has pumice, poppy seeds, cornmeal, and dried orange peel in it. It's VERY scrubby and everyone who's bought it so far has come back for more or has let me know they love it!

I made my version of African Black Soap using a African Black powder from Amazon. I've seen other soapers use it on YouTube so I decided to try it. First use, the bar was kinda of scratchy but every use after that has been wonderfully lumpy, bumpy & scrubby. I'm really liking it but because the first use felt so scratchy, I don't think I'll give it to anyone other than my sister. If I make this again, I think I'll infuse the powder into oil and strain it before I make the soap.

Someone asked me for a gardeners kind of scrubby soap.
I am always concerned with DOS from additives.
But I may try coffee, used grounds in a rebatch of shavings and see how it goes

I made a bar using fullers earth (for oily skin) and a little apricot seeds and a little walnut shells. It still has another 2 weeks to cure.

I personally prefer sugar scrubs or salt scrubs to exfoliating bars. I make a St Ives Apricot Seed type scrub for my niece.

In addition to what others have said, powdered dry herbs are nice in a gardeners soap. Activated charcoal power is nice in a face bar. Red Sandalwood powder gives the bar a nice color and is gentle on the skin as long as you don't use too much.

I have customers who live my coffee soap. I buy local whole beans, so I can grind them fine for a little exfoliating action, or coarse for those who like it a bit extra.
IMG_3320.JPG

My husband and son have started a craft brewery and I have started making soap with their beer. We are going to be using a local business to use their coffee and make a coffee stout beer. I have been making coffee soap and now I want to add the ground coffee to my soap. My question is do I use the already ground grinds after brewing it or use it by not roasting it (just fresh) for exfoliating.
Thanks. :)

I still like oatmeal for mine and very seldom use anything else since they are not abrasive. The few time I make coffee soap I use used grounds and still grind them more. It is just to scratchy for me as is pumice, all seeds etc and also seems to scratchy for my customers, because they don't buy coffee soap often. But my extra scrubby mud bars with whole oats sell like crazy with many return customers.

Latest posts

Back