Your favorite exfoliating add ins

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya is soaping

Reaction score
Just wondering if everyone reading could add what there very favorite exfoliating add ins are?
I haven't made a exfoliating soap yet but it's on my to do list. At the moment I've got poppy seeds and calendula flowers on my to do list. Would love to hear what other amazing things people are using or thinking of trying.
Pics would be great if you have any you've already done.

My husband likes coffee grounds for exfoliation. I don't really like exfoliation in my soap unless it's for my feet. The rest of my body skin just doesn't like it much. So far, I am even having some issues with salt soap. So many people say they love their salt soap, but I am finding it a bit on the scratchy side and I used plain old table salt. Maybe my skin is just too sensitive. But for my feet, I like tea leaves.

I have tried...
ground apricot seed powder: use much less than you think you need. This is my favorite.
pumice powder: guys really like this. women like it in a cream soap specifically for feet, elbows, knees etc. Not recommended for face.
jojoba beads: I don't like them in bar soap. My husband thinks they're awesome. I combine with pumice in cream soap.
poppy seeds: customers like the look, but don't actually like using them.
ground oatmeal: customer favorite.

So far, I am even having some issues with salt soap. So many people say they love their salt soap, but I am finding it a bit on the scratchy side and I used plain old table salt.

A friend and I were talking about this. I have no problem with the salt bar, but she does. It turns out that we use soap differently in the shower: I rub the bar with my hands and then rub the soapiness on my skin. She rubs the bar right on her body. I wonder if the different opinions about the salt bars result from different methods of use.

A friend and I were talking about this. I have no problem with the salt bar, but she does. It turns out that we use soap differently in the shower: I rub the bar with my hands and then rub the soapiness on my skin. She rubs the bar right on her body. I wonder if the different opinions about the salt bars result from different methods of use.

Well, that does make sense, artemis. Although I do know that many people have several different ways of using soap when they bathe. Some use poofs, some use wash cloths, some use it directly on the skin, some use their hands instead of a wash cloth or poof, and I am sure there are probably other ways to use soap that I haven't mentioned or even heard of, as well.

I know a lady who only uses a freshly laundered wash cloth for each shower and was shocked when I said I don't use a wash cloth for anything except washing my face and that I only run it through the washing machine now and again, relying on a thorough rinsing and drying out in between daily uses. So I knew there are differences, but for some reason, I forget about that when evaluating how soap performs for me as opposed to how it performs for other people. I always think in terms of skin types and water quality differences, but obviously those are not the only differences to consider.

Oh yes... I forgot coffee grounds. I have it one soap that very rarely sells anymore. I have one regular customer that buys it, she loves it on her legs. I use it in my kitchen as that is where garden dirt and mechanical grease usually get washed off. It is not one I want to take in the shower.

I like ground pumice the best for a scrubby hand soap.

I like small amounts of oat bran for an all over body soap when I'm just feeling like a bit of a gentle scrub.

Okay interesting about the poppy seeds. I see it in so many bars and you say people like the look but not the feel..
With the orange and lemon peel powder do people here make there own? I know how to make it, is it the same thing as just drying the peels and grinding them down?
I'm thinking of making the exfoliating soap for gardening /or foot soap/ dirty mens working hands LOL.

Last edited:
Okay interesting about the poppy seeds. I see it in so many bars and you say people like the look but not the feel..
With the orange and lemon peel powder do people here make there own? I know how to make it, is it the same thing as just drying the peels and grinding them down?
I'm thinking of making the exfoliating soap for gardening /or foot soap/ dirty mens working hands LOL.

I would dry the peels and use my nutrabullet to really grind it down to as close to a powder as possible. Still pretty exfoliating.

I made a facial soap with 3 layers. On the outside, I put in a small amount of ground cardamom seeds and I love it. The lightest layer has the ground cardamom (and the soda ash).

Attachments

• Cardamom Facial Soap.JPG
    Cardamom Facial Soap.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 29
Ground apricot seeds, pumice and oatmeal are my favorite three. I did use broccoli seeds for my watermelon soap but they are a little big to use for exfoliation.

Latest posts

Back