Your best looking swirls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lane said:
Even though I posted this picture in another post, I still love it. ♥ I tried to do a neat swirl earlier and had a massively bad time... :cry:
SITENagChampa.jpg

ITP or ITM? :)

Excellent swirls, Paul, and everyone else's are pretty good too. BUt that Hawaiian pitaki is stunning! Isn't that a great scent? so unusual, and thereforr your combination of scent and color should be a big hit.

Since my usual soap molds are mostly the logs, I feel swirl-challenged, and thus have taken to making mostly boring, almost colorless bars now, but will post a few of my better attempts, just to be sporting:

This green and red bled so much red into the shower, my DD said it would make a great halloween soap, and that I should call it: "Psycho"

12bloodsoaps.jpg

This pic shows two swirls, the pink is clay, with very soft colors.

Marchsoaps.jpg

and this photo shows my fav swirl of all time: the turquoise, done in Paul's TOG mold. The lavender swirl has lavender buds in it; I always add a titch of purple oxide powder to the buds to disguise the mouse-turd look to them.
The brown vanilla soap has honey swirls in it, not intended - just came out that way.

5Soaps.jpg

All of mine are in the pot swirls. and all of my colors are BB LabColors. Except for blaack and blue, which are oxides. :)

Great stuff everyone! I am working on an In the Pot, Log Swirl Tut. I'll have it up tomorrow!

Woodi, those swirls are great, but the turqoise is my favorite... really stunning! I wish I had a smellputer :lol:

Paul, what did you use to get the red, yellow & blue on that Hawaiian bar? Did you have trouble with bleeding, or colored lather?

That particular batch was made almost 2 years ago now. I used, gave away and sold every bar. Back then, I was using oxides, UM's and some liquid colours from soapsupplies.net. Paige has some really nice liquid colours. I'm thinking this batch was with her liquid colours now that I think about it. :)

Paul :wink:

Soapmaker Man said:
That particular batch was made almost 2 years ago now. I used, gave away and sold every bar.
Does anybody ever just keep a bar out of each batch, like have a sort of gallery of your best soaps, and just keep them forever? I expect to hang on to at least one example bar out of my best batches.

Great swirls everyone! This thread has shown me that I really need to try making a swirly soap in the slab portion of my log/slab TOG mold. They look so awesome!

I've had my log/slab TOG for over a year now, but I only ever use the 2 log portions of the mold. I haven't tried the slab portion because I don't have a log splitter yet and I'm afraid of cutting my soap too crooked.

Here are some pics of my soap. The pics are of some of my older batches (I really need to update my site), but if you scroll down through the pics, the pic taken of the soap with the old Arizona Diamondback's colors, along with th D-Back's hat, is pretty typical of all my 'in-the-log' swirls. I just alternate pouring my different colored soap batters right inside the mold (as opposed to inside my pot), and then very slightly and gently swirl with a chopstick:

http://members.cox.net/ssfkjfalf/AllMySoap/Start.htm

IrishLass

You're very creative Lassie! :) I particularly like your bubble wrap idea! :)

I'm curious how you embossed the designs on your bars. That adds a really nice touch.

Irish, they all look amazing, nice, nice work! 8) Like you, I love AF in my soaps.
I can fix you up with a log splitter. Check out my Etsy site. :wink:

Paul :wink:

Lovehound said:
Does anybody ever just keep a bar out of each batch, like have a sort of gallery of your best soaps, and just keep them forever?
I do!! Well, did, until I had made a zillion batches and has alot of random soaps :oops: :oops: :oops: Now I save a little guest size piece, probably 2 oz. from every batch I make. :)

Irish Lass ~ your soaps are so beautiful they took my breath away! Where did you find 24K gold dust?! I just love what that does to your soap! Really -- they're all so lovely.... You're very gifted. I wouldn't want to wash with those bars because they're so lovely to look at!

I just love that idea you had about using french fry bags & dressing them up the way you did!! You are incredibly clever!!

How long have you been making soap, and how did you learn all those neat tricks? Lots of experimenting?

Shucks, thank you guys. (blushing)

Paul- I'm goung to have to check out your Etsy site for a log splitter, that's for sure because I'm just chomping at the bit to make use of your TOG slab part of my mold.

Lovehound- The embossing is so easy. All I did was drive over to my local craft/hobby store (Michael's) and buy some decorative rubber stamps (Yes- rubber stamps! They work great if the design on them is not too busy). Then what I do is dip whichever rubber stamp I want to use into a light dusting of either 24 K gold dust, or bronze mica that I have sprinkled on a flat plate beforehand, and then I press the stamp onto my soap just after the soap is cut. Then I lighlty spritz the newly embossed soap with a single spritz of rubbing alcohol and let dry (it helps set the dust or mica onto the soap). It works like a charm and really gives one's soap that extra bit of classy oomph.

SoapyGal- Thank you! I buy my 24 K gold dust from Oregon Trails Soap. I've been CP soaping consistently (or obsessively :lol: ) for almost 2 years now, and I had read a lot prior to that. Heck, I still read a lot. :lol: And, yes, I do a lot of experimenting. Before I started soaping, I didn't realize I had a latent mad scientist lurking inside of me chomping at the bit to come out. I don't feel like I can take any credit for any of the ideas I use, though, for just when I think I've come up with something original, I find out someone else has already been doing it for years. :)

IrishLass

Irish Lass you're way too modest, all out of proportion to your accomplishments. Honest! :)

There's a lot of very brilliant people here and you are one.

IrishLass said:
The embossing is so easy. All I did was drive over to my local craft/hobby store (Michael's) and buy some decorative rubber stamps (Yes- rubber stamps! They work great if the design on them is not too busy). Then what I do is dip whichever rubber stamp I want to use into a light dusting of either 24 K gold dust, or bronze mica that I have sprinkled on a flat plate beforehand, and then I press the stamp onto my soap just after the soap is cut. Then I lighlty spritz the newly embossed soap with a single spritz of rubbing alcohol and let dry (it helps set the dust or mica onto the soap). It works like a charm and really gives one's soap that extra bit of classy oomph.
GENIUS!!!!!! :shock: :D

I saved Lassie's post to a local file here. I gonna try that! :D

Modesty is a great and vastly underrated quality in people. :)

Latest posts

Back