Your all-time favorite soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhelen

Reaction score
I'm sure this has probably been asked before, but what is you absolute all-time favorite CP soap recipe, and why? I'm talking mainly about percentages of oils but also favorite EO blends and any other factors are welcome!

I make a soap for my daughter that is a partial yogurt replacement with honey, cause she likes yogurt and honey (she was 4 when I first made it for her. 5 now). It's one of my better bars but mostly like it for sentimental reasons.

Definitely the salt bars. My favorite to use is a 75% CO, 12% Avocado, 8% Mango Butter, 5% Castor, 50% salt to Oil, 60% coconut milk. Fragrance is a beach scent I blend out of EO's.

Well, shoot, this lass has a hard time narrowing it down to just one favorite! It's akin to asking a mom which one of her kids she loves best. lol I love all my soaps!

-I have a favorite all-veggie formula with 50% OO
-I have a favorite animal-fat formula with a mixture of tallow and lard
-I have a favorite salt bar formula with 25% salt, 100% coconut oil and 100% coconut milk and 13% superfat.
-I have a favorite super uber-sudsy formula with 70% coconut oil/30% mango butter with 15% superfat
-I have a favorite shaving formula with lots of tallow, butters and stearic
-And my favorite additives to use are honey, goat milk or coconut milk, avocado puree and sodium lactate.
-My favorite FO is Salty Sailor from Daystar. If things ever came to the point where I had to choose only one FO to use in my soap, that would be the one I would choose, hands down.

That's just off the top of my head. If I had more time to think about it, my list would be longer, I'm sure. lol

IrishLass :)

Well, shoot, this lass has a hard time narrowing it down to just one favorite! It's akin to asking a mom which one of her kids she loves best. lol I love all my soaps!

-I have a favorite all-veggie formula with 50% OO
-I have a favorite animal-fat formula with a mixture of tallow and lard
-I have a favorite salt bar formula with 25% salt, 100% coconut oil and 100% coconut milk and 13% superfat.
-I have a favorite super uber-sudsy formula with 70% coconut oil/30% mango butter with 15% superfat
-I have a favorite shaving formula with lots of tallow, butters and stearic
-And my favorite additives to use are honey, goat milk or coconut milk, avocado puree and sodium lactate.
-My favorite FO is Salty Sailor from Daystar. If things ever came to the point where I had to choose only one FO to use in my soap, that would be the one I would choose, hands down.

That's just off the top of my head. If I had more time to think about it, my list would be longer, I'm sure. lol

IrishLass :)

Wow! That's a lot of favorites; I'm trying to imagine how many recipes you had to experiment with to come up with it! Thousands? Or only hundreds?:-D

I love a soap with avocado oil, my favorite additive is probably oatmeal ground to a fine powder, and my favorite fragrance is Nag Champa. Hey, I just realized that I've never combined the three in one soap.......I'm gonna make some just for me!

bright idea.gif

Thanks for sharing your favorites! I think a salt bar might have to be my next experiment :)

Soap: Coconut=5%, Pomace=10%, Lard=85%, SF=2%, Green clay
Shampoo: Coconut 15%, Castor=15%, Pomace=35%, Lard=35%, SF=7%

Dandelion with cocoa butter and avocado oil
Mix of tallow and lard and CO, Castor. Citrus scented . I keep this two in my shower and alternate. Another favorite is with activated charcoal, and calendula infused OO and shea:))
It is hard to chose........

One of my favorites has a generous helping of Yogurt in it. I use half water, half yogurt. I love it, it makes such a nice rich creamy lather. I also love avocado soap. I have not made any of that in quite some time....maybe I should make some this weekend. :)

Most of my soaps are the same basic recipe with 50% olive 30% palm or lard, 10& coconut and 5% each shea butter ( or cocoa butter) and castor.

My favorites change over time. I like a bubbly 30/30/30/5/5/ Olive/palm/coconut/castor/shea butter for its lively lather, but I like a salt bar--all coconut with Dead Sea Salt in the mix for my face. For scents, I like the deep base notes, like labdanum, copaiba balsam, peru balsam, benzoin, and the like, along with geranium and the citruses.

My favorites change over time. I like a bubbly 30/30/30/5/5/ Olive/palm/coconut/castor/shea butter for its lively lather, but I like a salt bar--all coconut with Dead Sea Salt in the mix for my face. For scents, I like the deep base notes, like labdanum, copaiba balsam, peru balsam, benzoin, and the like, along with geranium and the citruses.

That sounds very lovely! Doesn't dead sea salt make soap crumble? A couple years ago, I made a batch of soap with dead sea salt and dead sea mud. I think I added 2T mud ppo and 1T mud ppo. It looked great at first. But within three months, the soap crumbled entirely into small pieces as I squeezed it with my hand. Although I've learned that it was due to a lot of minerals in the salt, since then, I've never made any soap with the dead sea salt.

I do make Dead Sea mud soap but not with the DS salt. I am thinking about making Dead Sea salt brine soap but I am afraid it will do the same.

I really love almond oil, like Marisa, it's become my favorite "special" oil and I stick it in everything now. My go to recipe is 40% olive oil, 30% lard, 15% coconut, 10% almond, 5% castor. My favorite fragrance is a mix of a bunch of citrus eo's with lavender. I pretty much can't live without lime, pink grapefruit, lemongrass, litsea, and orange. They are my life blood.

I also love Salty Sailor from Daystar like IrishLass. Its by far one of my favorites.

I recently made a new recipe using hemp oil at 15% and all my test dummies (I mean beloved family & friends) are going mad for it. I used 35% OO, 25% CO, 20% PO, 15% Hemp and 5% cocoa butter. Lovely lather and skin feels great after the shower. I scented with Nag Champa so call it Hippie Soap. My Woodstock loving friends think it's the best thing since baked bread!

Olive Oil 50%, Coconut 25%, Palm or lard 15%, Castor 5%, Shea 5%
Coconut milk as 100% liquid, lavender bbfo 2%, 10x Orange eo 2%, Patchouli 2%
1% Calendula at trace. My "Flagship bar"

LOP 29Mar new crop.jpg

My current favorite:

Lard 45
Avocado Oil 15
Castor Oil 5
Coconut Oil 20
Olive Oil 15

6% SF

With 50% Coconut Milk, 1% Sodium Lactate, Pinch of Silk, 1% Cocamidopropyl Betaine, 1 TBSP Sugar PPO

The lather is super creamy and has incredibly huge bubbles.

I also LOVE my pine tar bar for my face. My skin has never looked better: more even skin tone, no more dermatitis, and I swear my pores look smaller.

That sounds very lovely! Doesn't dead sea salt make soap crumble? A couple years ago, I made a batch of soap with dead sea salt and dead sea mud. I think I added 2T mud ppo and 1T mud ppo. It looked great at first. But within three months, the soap crumbled entirely into small pieces as I squeezed it with my hand. Although I've learned that it was due to a lot of minerals in the salt, since then, I've never made any soap with the dead sea salt.

I do make Dead Sea mud soap but not with the DS salt. I am thinking about making Dead Sea salt brine soap but I am afraid it will do the same.

I experimented with percentages. I'm not sure how it would work in a non-salt soap, but I can do about 10% of the salt as DSS in a salt soap. I've seen the crumble effect, too--but keeping it to a smaller amount helps, while still getting the minerals into the soap.

Back