You know you're a soapmaker when...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When your friends save "containers' for you, just in case you can use them for soap..

If my BBF never gives me another quart cream container I could now make soap every day for 5-6 months and would still find some in out of the way spots. Long with all the other containers she keeps "just in case".

I read these posts and nod, thinking 'yep, done that' or "wow, I'm not so weird after all, cause I do that too". Everything I look at is evaluated for it's soaping potential. next - rose petals..... how will I use them? what will the result be? will they hold up? what if I mix them with mint? rosemary? lavender? or roses and chocolate? you know what I will be dreaming about tonight

If my BBF never gives me another quart cream container I could now make soap every day for 5-6 months and would still find some in out of the way spots. Long with all the other containers she keeps "just in case".

I read these posts and nod, thinking 'yep, done that' or "wow, I'm not so weird after all, cause I do that too". Everything I look at is evaluated for it's soaping potential. next - rose petals..... how will I use them? what will the result be? will they hold up? what if I mix them with mint? rosemary? lavender? or roses and chocolate? you know what I will be dreaming about tonight

I LOVE IT! "I'm not so weird..." LOL. Had to comment on the rose petals...I used them in my soap a while back....NOT a good idea. I think maybe if you grind them up it may be better, but mine were all mushy and when I cut the soap it let HUGE brown slider stripes in my cream colored soap. Think , "skid marks". Not something I ever want to repeat.

how about saving every empty container you can just in case you might use them for molds (just found a use for one of them). And I also go to the grocery store and finally talked my hubby into letting me get some grape seed oil. The oils section is my favorite.

first stop in a new store - the oil section! DH just rolls his eyes and follows. He's a good sport though, he made me a new mold/cutter combo this week. Of course I asked for it to be 12-15" long and it is 22", but, hey, it's done and I am testing it as we speak!

Jean1C - thanks for the info on the rose petals. Maybe I will crunch some up and put some on top.

I have a bad habit of saving every yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream,.... containers cause I might be able to use them. Our recycle doesn't want them, so I figure I will find something to use them for.

Hey, so good to know I not alone! Lol I've only been into making soap now about a month and my husband thinks I need medication! Lol I was beginning to believe him cause that's all I think about, maybe cause its a new hobby but its good to connect with other soap makers.

You know you are a soap maker when

You are selling at a craft show and a well- meaning person nively asks you what kind of soap you have. After a 20 minute Soap Making class on different techniques and ingredients, the well-meaning, now glazed over, nice person says "I only wanted to know if you have lavender". My DH swears he will nit take me out in public again.

When you only make soap for your family, and your husband tells you as you, are making another batch, "we already have enough soap to last for the next hundred years"!

That's what got me selling my soap. Have to sell some to make room for making more LOL

...when you visit the housewares department and see soap molds instead of containers. Or use your cat food containers for soap molds.

i'm on the road right now, but hubby called me earlier today from the grocery store...a certain brand of golden olive oil was on sale and he asked if I wanted him to pick some up since i'll be home soon....now that's "true love" in my book! (plus he's in love with a strawberry f/o I recently ordered...he's hinted broadly several times when was I going to make strawberry soap?...go-figure!

Sounds like he's hooked too Heartsong You've GOT to make him that strawberry soap for picking up the OO !!! A reward to reinforce his good behavior :-D

Sounds like he's hooked too Heartsong You've GOT to make him that strawberry soap for picking up the OO !!! A reward to reinforce his good behavior :-D

you betcha! plus i'm researching all I can to make him a really superb shaving cream that's strawberry scented...that would really please & surprise him! he uses a straight razor & likes his bowl of "cream!"

a new one

hi I´m a new soaper in this forum, thanks for all the ideas, but for me..... my son really understand all this stuff about 4 to 6 weeks after for use the soap, he began to sell my soap, and he ask which one is ready... because one friend want to buy them, I hope I can see the money after...:smile:

when everything's a soap mold & you start taking stuff that's someone else items to use for soap making when they use it for cooking ;)I can't o anywhere without thinking about how that would be great for soap & i got my family doing it 2...love it!!

You are walking past the local CVS and look at the flowerbed and think "Can I come back later and harvest some of the beautiful lavender?"

wow!! great minds must think alike because pretty much every answer im SMH thinking im so glad im not the only one doing/thinking all these crazy things...all CVS must have lavender :)

I've got a new one.

When you meet someone that has goat milk, and mention making goat milk soap, then find out she makes soap and goat milk soap herself.... And you instantly just about have your heads explode with back and forth conversations of excitement!!!

So, when you find a fellow soapmaker you lose it! :lol:

Oh, and I'm guilty of nibbling the cocoa butter too! I wish it tasted like the heaven it smells like!!

Oh, and I'm guilty of nibbling the cocoa butter too! I wish it tasted like the heaven it smells like!!

Agreed. I think ive made a discovery though. Toblerone, the white chocolate bars, I think the little nougat bits in the bars are really cocobutter bits. Could be wrong, but im sticking with that. Another discovery chalked up to soaping addiction! :)

Back