You know you're a soapmaker when...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinkativeone

Reaction score
You're itching to make soap so badly that you start dreaming about it - I dreamt last night that I made HP in my crock pot because I couldn't stand waiting anymore. And I was all upset about it having to be a dedicated crock pot now and needing to get another one for other things... :Kitten Love: :lol:

What about you guys? Any other "you know you're a soapmaker when..." moments?

LOL! My dream was about swirling technique. I tried it the other day with some Roobios tea in soap, and ended up having to rebatch the soap, so the swirls went out the window.:sad: Maybe my dream is trying to tell me I'll be successful ONLY in my dreams?:cry: :lol:

I'm lovin this thread, BTW!

I've had the dreams, the grocery tendencies (it enrages my wife), but it's been impacting my jobs lately, too.

I work Sundays as a barista, and i tried (&failed) to get the coffee shop owners to go in on buying CO in bulk with me, to save on shipping. Turns out, they don't make enough vegan pastries to warrant a purchase of 50lbs of CO. But I do get cheaper OO thru them, altho it's only $1.50 less for the 169oz of OO versus what I pay at the Asian market.

My other job, the main one, is to manage a residence for adults with developmental disabilities. I spent 5 minutes trying (and failing) to convince this lady that a soap with ingredients like sodium talloate and sodium cocoate is, indeed, made with lye, but that b/c the lye is converted in the chemical reaction of saponification, it doesn't need to be listed in the ingredients. She protested that her "boys" are "allergic to lye", which is why she spends so much money on soap that "isn't made with lye". I let it go.

Oh yeah, I also sell a lot of soap to coworkers at work, but don't tell anyone.

Last edited:
These posts are great. :lol: Cracks me up how obsessed we all are! When it comes to coconut oil, my local Costco only carries the organic unrefined (which I eat, yum btw) but considering how expensive shipping is I'm seriously considering buying it there for my soaping as well (get my organic olive oil there already). That soap bug!

Haha, way too many soapmaking dreams!!! Maybe it's because from the time I get home until I go to bed I am either planning or making soap. And then, of course, it doesn't help when I spend my lunch breaks going to healthfood stores to investigate additives, EOs, and such just for fun...

kazmi's post made me spit out my coffee! lol! Sounds like me! And don't forget THE BUBBLE WRAP:shock: it's lined with!! Oh my, it's like Christmas time! lol! I've become a hoarder of some pretty weird stuff recently.

Not me. I actually had a rather inappropriate dream about my very gorgeous neighbor. : ) He used to be my boss years ago, though. So, it's not really the first time that's happened.

I agree with Kay. I shop for oils for SOAP, rather than cooking. It's nice though. I've never felt more justified in spending the money on all that oil, than now.

ETA: You also feel a little hesitant to cook with a particular oil that you are planning to use for your next batch.

Last edited:
Charlie I'm with you on that! As soon as I walk in the door from work I'm checking. Now my latest obsession - looking at the spice rack at home/grocery store and wondering what colors they would make in soap :)

I can go right along with the buying expensive oils that you wouldn't one time buy for food, and the kitchen gadgets that I inspect for how the can relate to soaping...but I remember a post way back on a thread like this that really hit home: you know your soapmaker when your taking more pictures of your soaps than you are of your family.

Back