You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Discussion in 'SMF Announcements, Comments, Help & Rules' started by penelopejane, Mar 13, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 13, 2019 #1

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

Hi
    I am trying to reply to a thread and I get the message:
    (You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)
    down the bottom of the page. There is not reply button.
    upload_2019-3-13_15-32-41.png
    I have logged off and back on. I have shut down the browser.
    Can you fix this for me please?
    I can get onto and reply on other threads.
    Thank you.
    PJ

2. Mar 13, 2019 #2

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

I've seen this a few times here, PJ.
    My theory is that it means the thread has been administratively closed to further replies.

SaltedFig likes this.
  3. Mar 13, 2019 #3

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

Thanks Meena.
    I hadn't seen that before.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  4. Mar 13, 2019 #4

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

Any time, dear PJ. :)

penelopejane and Chris_S like this.
  5. Mar 13, 2019 #5

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

It's the "Zany no slime castile" thread, right? I can't even view it anymore -- like it's been deleted, not just locked.

6. Mar 13, 2019 #6

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  7. Mar 13, 2019 #7

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Correct, Shari.
    Thank You.gif
    Sorry for the confusion, PJ! Unless and until SMF establishes a policy to discourage hijacks, I have no recourse to control OT (Off Topic conversations aka "hijacks") in my threads except to have them locked.

SHORT STORY
    As a newbie to SMF I remember slogging through a popular thread that was 29 pages long -- mostly due to hijacks starting at post #8, if memory serves. It took me 4 hours, 2 night's in a row, reading and taking notes, to get through it. ACK! When I complained, I was (politely) told "that's just the way we do things here." Well, I for sure don't want Newbies to have to experience that on my threads, so I do what I can to keep the discussion on point. (NOT easy! Some members take offense when I ask them to please delete their hijack.)

BACK ON TRACK
    Post #269 - 279 -- there are 11 hijacks, my own included, that extend the thread beyond useful information relating to the topic. Rather, they discuss using faux sea water in soaps other than castiles -- interesting, but it would be better moved to a new thread and linked back to the original. Also, PJ, dear heart, your comment about "9-12 months cure time for castile" is a discussion that needs to be moved to another thread as well and linked back. :)

Szaza's Post #248 on Page 19 is an excellent example of how to start a new, but related topic, and link your thread to the original. :thumbs: Click on the link she provides to her thread as well -- good reading!

Others are free to disagree, but I strongly feel that everyone benefits by not hi-jacking a thread, but rather starting a new thread where others can learn, comment and contribute -- and most importantly, find it again when you need to. ;)

Megan, hungryhawaiian and Misschief like this.
  8. Mar 13, 2019 #8

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

Zany,
    There was no hijack in the last few posts.
    I don’t agree that my comment that Castile is better after a 9-12 month (or longer) cure even using your faux seawater is off topic.

I feel it is relevant to the discussion and provides a different point of view. By closing the thread you have prevented any other point of view other than your own appearing in the actual thread which is disappointing for both newbies and experienced soapers.

9. Mar 13, 2019 #9

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

No worries... I agree with you, PJ. Others should have the opportunity to weigh in. You're not alone in your position. I'm quite sure you'll get lots of support. That's why I started a new thread with your post and my reply, here:

Soap-Urban Legend - Castile Cure Time

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soap-urban-legend-castile-cure-time.74278/

10. Mar 13, 2019 #10

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

You posted an attack on PJ, called the centuries old tradition of olive oil soap making an urban myth and then asked for the thread to be locked, on the grounds of hi-jacks! Astounding.
    To then started a new thread, reposting your attack on PJ, is just appalling!
    https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-no-slime-castile.72620/page-15

By getting the thread locked, you also are shutting down feedback on your bicarbonate recipe over time.

So far, I have 3 reports of slime in your bicarbonate soap recipe.

You create a diversion on your own threads (and other people's too) and then get offended when they refuse to delete their replies.

The last time I watched you hi-jack a thread with a complete off-topic, someone asked you a follow-up question about it and you told them not to hi-jack the thread o_O

In the "Soap is Not Moisturizing?" thread, you "hi-jacked" (according to your definition) 5 times across 6 pages.

Summary:
    Talked about actors and movies
    https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soap-is-not-moisturizing.74132/page-3#post-755248
    The smell of citronella
    https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soap-is-not-moisturizing.74132/page-3#post-755253
    Someone's post being off topic (they asked you a question about your off topic subject)
    https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soap-is-not-moisturizing.74132/page-3#post-755271
    Sandra Bullock and rubber gloves
    https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soap-is-not-moisturizing.74132/page-5#post-756023
    Oils for a glossy finish
    https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soap-is-not-moisturizing.74132/page-5#post-756028

Kettles and pots, Zany

It would be nice (in the interest of keeping the community fair), to not allow some members to use the thread closure as a way of having the last word and shutting the door on all replies.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2019
  11. Mar 13, 2019 #11

midnightsoaper

midnightsoaper

midnightsoaper

Make that 4. o_O Granted, it's only 5 weeks old, not 6. Maybe that last week is where the magic happens :D

Susie, penelopejane and SaltedFig like this.
  12. Mar 13, 2019 #12

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

And I’m 5. Don’t like it. Mine is 6 weeks old and slime. Will put it away for a year. I quit making Castile and bit that it might be different. Nope. Glad I only made 3 bars.

cmzaha, Dahila, Susie and 2 others like this.
  13. Mar 14, 2019 #13

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin

IMO, if you have started a thread, then you should have the option of asking that it be closed. If someone feels slighted, why not just pm the member who you have the problem with instead of bringing discord and bad feelings to the forum. I find that if I let some time pass before I go back and re-read a post the tone doesn't seem so negative. This has traditionally been one of the friendliest forums on the Internet. Let's try to keep it that way.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  14. Mar 14, 2019 #14

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

While I agree with what you're saying (that if PJ felt slighted, or Salty bring up the bad form, it might have been better in a PM), lsg, I do also think we want to show that the original post is in bad form and discourage others from starting these types of threads. Zany could have simply started a thread opening the discussion of castile cure time without the quoting of her disparaging remarks towards PJ. I understand why Zany closed the thread - I had honestly stopped reading it because of the OT posts. (I've found this a lot lately, honestly, in many threads that there becomes an OT back and forth conversation.)

Dahila, SaltedFig, shunt2011 and 2 others like this.
  15. Mar 14, 2019 #15

Meena

Meena

Meena

Supporting Member

Reading what transpired yesterday about OT especially, I have some culpability in that for sure, and found myself wondering where the line should be drawn. I think it's beneficial to an extent to have a bit of banter, but how much is good without interfering with the relevance and helpfulness of the forum?

In general, we do self-police pretty well... Maybe less so with the chattiest among us, lol; but I think that we also have to let members enjoy each other to some extent .

I agree there have been some recent threads where it has devolved from the topic or into a bit of excess chattiness, and encourage us all, myself included , to keep it reasonable and perhaps continue with a friendly back and forth in a PM?

Just want to give a Shout out to the Admins! Thank you all.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  16. Mar 14, 2019 #16

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

I fail to see that the only recourse for controlling OT posts is for an OP to abruptly lock a thread without explanation or warning. While I do not dispute that it is any OP's right to lock a thread, I do think it is an overly harsh solution that doesn't really solve the problem of OT posts. It just stops it from happening on that particular thread at the expense of confusion and possibly hard feelings.

What about giving people a chance first to police their own behavior by asking them to focus on the thread's main topic of discussion? Reminding people to act more thoughtfully and courteously might have the overall beneficial effect in reducing OT posts in general.

17. Mar 14, 2019 #17

Alien

Alien

Alien

Wow! I have not been on this forum for long, but have been pleased that (so far) people have largely limited their comments to constructive ones, admittedly with some a bit off-target. Hopefully our basic love for soapmaking will motivate us to all get along well.

18. Mar 14, 2019 #18

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

We are one... Supporting Member

This is a super friendly and helpful format. I have been delighted and humbled by all of the help so generously given.

I have been guilty of "Off Topic" posts from time to time and I am trying to learn and limit.

At the end of the day, I like the back and forth, and I learn so much when expert soap-makers debate the pros and cons of an issue.

99.99999999% of what I have seen here comes from a place of passion and kindness - and I think when passion is involved, not only do great new ideas get born, but occasionally feathers get ruffled.

You all have helped me so much, thank you

yobu, Amy78130, Dahila and 6 others like this.
  19. Mar 14, 2019 #19

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

I don’t think there was a major question of animosity it was more a question of differing opinion on Zanys recipe and cure time.

I would have been happy if I had been able to reply to Zany’s post but she had the thread locked so it wasn’t possible.

I don’t object to OT posts that relate to the original concept. In the thread the OT posts related to using the recipe with other oils, I think.

My main concern is that there can be no feedback on the soap that people have made using the recipe. The thread started about 6 weeks ago now. I love Castile and am always looking to promote it and was happy to try this recipe. So far it has not been a success for me and others have also had disappointing results but everyone was waiting for the 12 week mark to report.
    If the thread is closed, this no longer possible.

I am concerned that future searches will bring up the thread which will have no feedback on the recipe after cure - whether that be a 12 week or 12 month cure.

20. Mar 15, 2019 #20

Dean

Dean

Dean

I thought OTs were addressed with the “Report” fx...no? It allows OPs to police their threads as aggressively as they want. Its anon, non-confrontational and no one gets their knickers twisted.

Now if only someone would do something bout that guy that posted Sandra Bullock and rubber gloves...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.