You have got to be kidding me!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lillisa3479

Reaction score
I do not understand why companies like Lush use Sodium Laureth Sulfate in their bath products KNOWING how dangerous it is. It is one of the top ten cancer causing chemicals and we women are sitting it in our baths??? Knowing that if you use bath bombs and bubble bath with Sodoium Laureth Sulfate you have the risk as a women of getting cervical, uterine, bladder cancer, ect and women are still buying from these companies??? I just dont get it!!!!!
Having sparkles and glitter in your bath bar shouldnt be worth the risk of getting cancer! Wisen up! Do you research and go on strike from buying from such companies!

Lillisa3479 said:
I do not understand why companies like Lush use Sodium Laureth Sulfate in their bath products KNOWING how dangerous it is. It is one of the top ten cancer causing chemicals and we women are sitting it in our baths??? Knowing that if you use bath bombs and bubble bath with Sodoium Laureth Sulfate you have the risk as a women of getting cervical, uterine, bladder cancer, ect and women are still buying from these companies??? I just dont get it!!!!!
Having sparkles and glitter in your bath bar shouldnt be worth the risk of getting cancer! Wisen up! Do you research and go on strike from buying from such companies!

Um, I suggest you dig a little deeper, because, NO, it's not "dangerous" and CERTAINLY isn't "one of the top 10 cancer causing chemicals" Research.
Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Ammonium Laureth Sulfate are cosmetic detergents that exert
emulsifying action, thereby removing oil and soil from the hair and skin. The Panel wishes to
point out that these two ingredients produce eye and/or skin irritation in experimental animals
and in some human test subjects; irritation may occur in some users of cosmetic formulations
containing the ingredients under consideration. The irritant effects are similar to those produced
by other detergents, and the severity of the irritation appears to increase directly with
concentration. However, Sodium and Ammonium Laureth Sulfate have not evoked adverse
responses in any other toxicologic testing.
http://www.dweckdata.com/Research_files ... endium.pdf

More info:
Is there any truth to the Internet reports about Sodium Lauryl Sulfate?
There is an e-mail that has been circulating on the Internet for several years which falsely states that Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES), ingredients used primarily in some cosmetic “rinse off” products, can cause cancer. This allegation is unsubstantiated and false, and typical for Internet rumors notorious for publishing inaccurate and untrue information.
http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/HBI/20

Sigh.

I don't make my own because I think big business is out to poison me. I do it because I enjoy it. And because after all this time it's kinda become profitable.

I STONGLY disagree with you as I have done a lot of reading on Sodium Laureth Sulfate and know about its toxicity and its cancer causing agents. My father in law is a chemist and works for Merk. He has told me on numerous occasions about how harmful Sodium Laureth Sulfate is along with another chemical called carrageenan which comes from seaweed. Trust me, you are not hearing this from an idiot.

Dear Lillisa,

Please take a moment to become familiar with our forum rules. I have copied a few of them here to this thread. The balance can be found here: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

While your opinions are welcome here, we do not tolerate disrespect/bashing. You will see dozens of threads debating SLS already exist here on the forum. Most of us are familiar with the topic. MANY of us are scientist ourselves.

We pride ourselves on being the friendliest soap making forum on the net. Please abide by the following rules to keep it that way.

1.For the purposes of this forum, ALL products commonly known as soap are handcrafted/handmade, regardless of whether it began as oils and lye or a base that may or may not contain detergents. BOTH products qualify as handcrafted/handmade soap in this forum.

2.Disrespect and criticism of another member, their practices or choices, will not be tolerated.

3.Disrespect of any member of the soaping community, whether they hold memberships on this forum or not, will not be tolerated.

4.Disrespect of suppliers will not be tolerated. While everyone have the right to post experiences with suppliers, both favorable & not, it shall be done in a professional manner free from insult.

5. Disrespect of any person, group, race, religion or people will not be tolerated.

Any negative, nasty, offensive or questionable comments regarding the above points will not be tolerated and will result in that thread/comment being deleted by the Moderating Team without further reference to the member.

Continued posting of negative, nasty or offensive comments will result in that member being banned from the board.

Thank you!- The mod team

Whoa. I just found a thread of yours from last month. You wanted to discus a chemical & we told you that would be fine if you could do it in a non-aggressive fashion. You were also instructed to leave specific company names out of the thread.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... ht=#197048

You knew this was not appropriate bahavior.

I dont feel I was being agressive at all. I was told I could be informative and that is all I was doing, as well as trying to protect. I was not aware that everyone here knew about SLS and I was also told that I could mention company names as long as it was in a non aggressive form or for informative reasons which was what I was trying to achieve...so it was not meant to offend or upset.
Thanks!

You called for a boycot. Is this not agressive?

Being informative would include links to medical studies, etc to back up your concerns as carebear provided.

We all get upset about different things but without conclusive medical documentation it's meaningless and leads to hysteria.

Very true, but is there any place other than these boards where you can discuess what companies are doing good and what are doing not so good? Do you know of any place to discuss cancer causing agents and what companies are using them?
Thanks

Lillisa3479 said:
I was not aware that everyone here knew about SLS !
Some do, some don't. Which group are you in?

I thought you were talking about Sodium Laureth Sulfate - at least that's what you wrote - which is SLES. SLS is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. They are not the same. Which I would think you'd know if you are to the point of making definitive statements about how toxic something is.

Real research is hard, but google is a fairly simple tool to master. I suggest you get to know it. One thing, though, is you can't believe everything you read - check the source...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back